6spd conversion

Guys, is it possible to convert a 5spd box out the 1.9 Tdi into a 6spd box,

Reason being is I'm always up and down the motorway, a 6th gear would be brilliant, especially in the 1.9pd engine. Would have a buyer for my 5spd as I have a mate who runs 150 taxis, so can get money back from that.

I've seen people convert new style caddy's from 5 to 6 using the golf gt Tdi gear box

G

Presumably you could take a 6 speed gearbox from a 1.9 TDI Fabia vRS and fit that.

But is it worth the hassle and cost? Also, is the gear ratio in 6th much different to the gear ratio in 5th on the 5 speed box. It may well not be, just closer gear ratios in the 6 speed box.

Gearbox, starter, flywheel, clutch, driveshafts and gearbox mounts incl the console all have to be replaced, not to mention numerous bolts and adding supports for airco lines (they run differently on 5spd than on 6-spd).

On a plus side, you don't have to chang cable shift nor gear lever.

I did the swap on Mk1 Octavia many years ago, got parts from scrapyard. It is only worth it if you have a short 5spd gearbox and intend to travel at high speed. In my case, old 5spd had 27mph/1000rpm in 5th, new one had 34mph/1000rpm in 6th, and the new gearbox was saving me 15% in fuel at 115mph constant speed on autobahn. Due to extensive travel abroad, fuel savings over life of the car did pay for gearbox parts, but I doubt they would in the UK.

Also note that 6-spde gearbox is much heavier, 5-spd is one man job, 6-spd is 2 man job.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

Our company makes conversion kits from 5-gear to 6-gear. We have more than 10 years of experience with these modifications...

This solution makes it possible for experienced service workshop to carry out this modification without removing the gearbox out of the car. Our company usually performs this modification in 3-5 hours. Customers come in the mornings and leave in the afternoons with their 6-speed gearbox...

Send me gearbox code. One can find that out by 3-letter code, which is:

1) on the gearbox

2) in service manual (in row with an indication of engine power)

It can be GQQ,JCR,.. etc.

I'll send you the best solution for your gearbox.

http://www.vwtuningm...conversion-kit/

• Love it! 1

Yes, I looked into these kits before doing the swap, though I think it might have a been a different Czech company back then.

But at the time, they company offering them said the were doing them no more on Golf platforms due to easy availability of used 6-spd boxes. Keep in mind 6-spd boxes are more efficient in 5th and 6th gear at speed than 5-speed gearboxes, on account of having a lower final drive ratio for the top 2 gears.

The price quoted in the link looks steep, at these levels a scrapyard gearbox might be better as it will save more fuel, and you get synchronised reverse gear as a bonus.

But if someone offered me an upgrade kit at a price incl fitting of less than half of medium mileage scrapyard 6-spd gearbox, I'd take the kit over the bigger box any day. Replacing the 5-spd for the 6-spd box is a lot of hassle, even when you have parts laid up in front of you.

Edited by dieselV6

0A4 gearbox is modifiable easier than the 02A or 02J. With this gearbox manufacturer has already allowed for the possibility of mounting the 6-speed option and shift rail inside the gearbox has a shape for inclusion 6th gear so they do not need to be changed, only selector housing must be removed and the locking pin, which prevents 6th transfer to be placed, pulled out. 0A4 kit differs from the kit 02A even in select fork system at the 5th and 6th transfer, which remains in the original solution, ie. select fork with rocker and therefore the 5th transfer remains in its position and 6th at the end of the gearbox.

kit_0A4_2.png

Our solution reflects the current trend of setting heaviest six-speed gearbox for manufactured gearboxes of Volkswagen (see comparison with the six-speed gearbox 02M). The aim is to set heaviest gear so that when driving at speeds of 80 mph (130 kmh), the engine is at rpm of about 2700 rev / min, our sixth gear is about 200 rev / min below. At the same time we can also offer a slight modification of the fifth gear from 0.74 to 0.77, which can lead to more regular spacing between the gears 4, 5 and 6.

skoda_02M_comparison_0A4.png

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I would like to ask if anyone has information about the functionality cruise control after replacing the gearbox 2.0 TDI BKD (PD) to a variant of the 2.0 TDI 103 kilowatts (CR).

These transmissions have lower speed at the 5 and 6st, but so far I could not find what is "allowed" speed range of the engine ECU for proper function cruise.

Thank you for anything