Amundsen Vs Columbus

I've had no reply to my query. On the web you can find details of how VW customers in the US obtain their updates for the same system.

Why would you want to update now ? I assume that the unit comes with the latest map, I would assume the three years free updates start from a year on, not now?

Why would you want to update now ? I assume that the unit comes with the latest map, I would assume the three years free updates start from a year on, not now?

The maps are the same as VW and Seat so may not be totally up to date. I'm not bothered as yet in updating but would be nice to how to? You don't normally buy a product without being told, at the point of purchase, how you can update it in the future? Also how are Skoda going to inform those of us who have purchased already how we do update, I assume they won't bother and it'll be left to us to drag the information out of dealers, who are at present clueless.

The maps are the same as VW and Seat so may not be totally up to date. I'm not bothered as yet in updating but would be nice to how to? You don't normally buy a product without being told, at the point of purchase, how you can update it in the future? Also how are Skoda going to inform those of us who have purchased already how we do update, I assume they won't bother and it'll be left to us to drag the information out of dealers, who are at present clueless.

I am sure the car will bei delivered with the latest map available - even if it isn't totally up to date! Maybe the map updates will be part of the service schedule when due? Just be glad Skoda don't do a Porsche and charge £500 for an update! Needless to say I put up with an out of date map in that car!

The Amundsen still has a 3d view, but it does not have 3d maps, I.e. you can see mountains and hills on the Columbus' screen coming up around the car.

Don't have many mountains in Hampshire!

In that case, I'd stick with the 2.5D (flat plane) maps - I like the ability to see which way the road is going to go over the brow of the next hill. Or am I being daft?

• Like 1

You can get updates via the official Navteq webiste, www.navigation.com

Are these updates completely free via Navteq website?

Is there a yearly or quarterly update on this site?

One question to all users. Isn't it more easy to watch a screen more close to the head than checking the left one a little down in the car when driving? I believe the Amundsen/Columbus should have been put higher to see better the maps. Just an oppinion...

Edited by Harkonnen

One question to all users. Isn't it more easy to watch a screen more close to the head than checking the left one a little down in the car when driving? I believe the Amundsen/Columbus should have been put higher to see better the maps. Just an oppinion...

The navigation details are also displayed on the Maxi Dot computer on the dash :)

The navigation details are also displayed on the Maxi Dot computer on the dash :)
Hmmm... I feel stupid now :wall: :wall: :wall:
But that is still a lot lower than having a TomTom on the top of the dashboard or mounted low on the windscreen, so I think Haronnen's point stands.Sliding out of the dashboard like an Audi A6 or static like a 3 series IS better IMO. Edited by Juniperz

• 2 months later...

Ive possibly changed my mind now; think if i bought another i'd probably have the columbus, forego the canton and accept the additional cost.

if the standard 8 speaker system is anything like as good as that in the MK2 that'd be good enough for me....also i'll have two young kids by then so the sub will probably just serve to break their poor little ears!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Amundsen still has a 3d view, but it does not have 3d maps, I.e. you can see mountains and hills on the Columbus' screen coming up around the car.

Can anyone confirm this is true on the new Columbus unit? Do you only get 3D buildings of certain cities or hills and valleys as well with maps (i.e. like on Google Earth)?

Id like to know this too.

My last car was a 2012 A6 with tech pack which was meant to have 3d city maps. No matter what settings I used I couldn't get 3d buildings in any city I visited, including some large cities in Germany.

I even tried viewing the map as shown in the manual, a screen grab of the Eifel Tower if I remember correctly, with no luck.

It did however show hills and mountains.

... It did however show hills and mountains.

So it looked something like google earth without satellite images obv? This unit should have 3D buildings of bigger cities as well but don't know where can one check of which cities exactly.

• 3 months later...

Hi... I'm just thinking about the same as you did...

Choose Amundsen or Columbus??? The Columbus is too expensive I think - but maybe it's worth?  I hate the glossy and wide bezel and don't like it's speed. The columbus has the much better screen. But it costs so much more... :(