1.4TSI servicing questions

I have a 59 plate Octavia 1.4TSI estate that I have owned for 11 months now and have been very pleased with it. So far it has covered 79000 miles (72000 by the previous owner) and is on the variable/20000miles service schedule. I have a few queries that have recently come to light.

1. The service reminder now comes on telling me a service is due in 600 miles which i expected however; I also have 183 with a little circle icon displayed in the centre of the compuer display. What does this 183 indicate. It goes off once the servicing reminder reverts to trip readout.

2. A 20000mile Skoda service is £249. Would you reccomend sticking with a main dealer or having it serviced annually by an independant garage. (I do about 6-8000 miles a year and plan on keeping the car for another 4 or 5 years)

3. It takes 3.5 - 4 miles for the engine to reach normal operating temperature. Is this normal during winter months or does it indicate a sticking thermostat.

4. In this cold weather, I have noticed that the exhaust seems quite smokey although nothing was detected during the emissions test on it's first MoT a few months ago.

Many thanks for anyone that can help.

On the warming up question, yes mine takes ages for the thermostat to reach normal temperature. I see a lot of what I would call water vapour from the exhaust when I put my foot down, no nasty smoke.

Less than 10000 pa? You should consider Volkswagen's advice and revert to fixed yearly services.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

By all means stick with a dealer for this service but the next one after is just an oil change in a year's time. You could do that yourself or an independent would do it for bobbins.

HTH

Thanks for the replies, you've both put my mind at rest that everything seems normal

Small - I would concur with your descition about water vapour coming out from the exhasut pipe under acceleration as opposed to a smokey exhaust.

To confuse me even more, the 183 now says 182 but the icon next to it could I suppose be a clock and so maybe it's some form a timer till the service is due?????