Starts but accelerator does nothing

jojo564

My 2005 Fabia 1.4 16 valve will start and will tick-over fine, but the acclerator does not increase the revs. The pedal feels fine and the cable has not snapped. The engine diagnostic shows no errors. The anti-skid light will not go off. Any offers as to where I can look? Thanks JoJo

Maybe you need a more in depth diagnostic. The Fabia has a Drive By Wire (DBW) accelerator which does not have a cable (physical link to the engine). The pedal is basically a spring loaded variable resistor, the throttle is opened by means of an electric motor and is controlled by the engine control unit.

It could be a wiring fault to the throttle body or pedal, or as the system is designed not to apply the throttle with the brake on, it could be as simple as a faulty brake light switch, which are a known weak point on VW group cars.

With the anti skid light on, there may be a fault stored in the brake controller.

As above the throttle is flybywire these day so you will still feel resistance as ther is no tensioned cable to snap although I thought it was a potentiometer in the pedal so my guess would be this at fault although the stuck brake light seams plausable also. Would have thought these would be aparent on a vcds scan though.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Fuses are on top of the battery inside a lid thing. Have you wiggled the wire to the throttle body to see if that does anything? Or take the throttle body off and give it a clean? Might be something stopping the flap from fully opening.

I've left the car battery off for about a day and a half, when I reconnected it the same dash lights appeared. The car will tick over but it never goes off 'choke' the revs stay at about 1200rpm when I press the accelerator it goes up to about 2000rpm. The fuses at the end of the dash are all OK, I've pulled the 10amp one out that deals with the ABS and the brake light starts flashing on the dash. One of the rear brake bulbs had blown but I've replaced it. I know all the high ampage fuses are near the battery, I can see the ends of the connections but it looks as though they point down at the windscreen side of the battery, I don't want to break the cover but I can't see how to get into it. Thanks for all the suggestions. Jojo

Sorted. Grosvenor Autos of Hyde, the bloke attached a more in depth error reader. This was saying the carb was not receiving any signal from the pedal. He reset it to manufacturer setting this enabled the EDL/ACS to be turned off, it was defaulting to being on when you started the car which wasn't correct. Revs dropped to a normal tick over (800rpm). Stopped the car restarted it, pedal now working.

Edited by jojo564