Locked out of mk1 Octavia estate

Hi guys.

Ive done something Id never thought I would do. I have locked my keys in the car. I dont have access to a spare key, so am stuck as to how to get it. Any ideas how I can get it at all, or am I going to have to resort to breaking a window?

The car is a 2000 mk1 estate

take it its autolocked you out?

you don't have a spare, or can't get it?

i know a way for vacuum based setups, but this is electric cl so that won't work

I think you may have to break a window.

Is it dead locked?

If not you can very carefully bend the rear corner of the front drivers door open a little, say about an inch, wedge it, then use a straightened metal coat hanger to push the unlock button, or bend a small hook in it and pull the interior door handle open.

If its dead locked, depending on where your key is you can use the same tactic to either push the button on the key or hook it and pull it out the car.

Will be fiddly and take a while, be careful when prying open the top of the door too much and the glass will shatter, watch your paint as well, I usually use 2 large flathead screwdrivers with a rag or tape over it so it doesn't chip the paint on the door edge

have seen it done, but thats proper fiddly Keirravn, and last time still ended up in a smashed window, recon for the inexperienced they will risk damaging their door, and paint. Would rather break the glass than risk damaging the door, bent/scraped doors are worse to fix!

Got AA/RAC cover ? . Give them a call . I remember doing this in an older car and AA solving the problem .Won't say how on open forum .

no it happens mate, so annoying when a car only comes with one key, as they always cost a bit to replace!

hope you sort it, check you insurance may cover your glass.

Got AA/RAC cover ? . Give them a call . I remember doing this in an older car and AA solving the problem .Won't say how on open forum .

probably a vacuum based system, might be worth a try tho incase they can do the door for you as suggested above.

Edited by Oet

lmao, crowbar it is, like one of those gorilla bars!

no, but you can get carried away and bend it so it doesnt bend back properly and make a good seal, for the non handy car people, care should be taken as they could do more damage than good

I hate it when you get a car, and the door has been tampered with before and doesnt fit properly, some of the auction cars i get are like this.

smash the window(rear) and take the keys

Rear window is easy to replace,and you can get a window from scrap yard very cheap (I was quoted 11pounds)

Wrap it in gaffa tape before to collect most of the broken glass

Is the cleanest and simple idea....don't bent the door,is crazy,you will never be able to straight it ,water wil leak inside,wind noise,the door seal will get damaged,and is impossible to replace.

Edited by IulianE
  • Like 1

Rear window is easy to replace,and you can get a window from scrap yard very cheap (I was quoted 11pounds)

Is the cleanest and simple idea....don't bent the door,is crazy,you will never be able to straight it ,water wil leak inside,wind noise,the door seal will get damaged,and is impossible to replace.

thats what i would do too:>

I don't know what you're picturing here but the door is not being wrenched open or any such, you simply pull the top corner out enough to get a piece of wire in, the door doesn't stay bent as soon as the pressure is off it returns to normal, and even if it didn't once the car is open you can drop the window and tweak it back to the right position.

It's up to the OP ultimately but I've done this on at least a dozen cars over the years without issue