New to the Skoda club and loving it so far!

wawilkinson

Hi all - I've just returned after collecting my Skoda Superb Elegance estate (2.0 TDI CR 170 DSG) and I'm absolutely loving it so far!

The car is a 10-reg, only covered 25k miles and is in great condition!

So just thought I'd say hi and I'm sure I'll be seeking advice in the near future!!

I already need to track down a replacement LED torch for the boot - for completeness - and decent some floor mats!!

Hi mate and welcome!

U get a torch for your estate?

Dont think there is one for the hatchback :-(

As for mats - i just got some original ones for £38.

Good quality with logo - but too thin for my liking in my opinion.

image_zps96de2869.jpg

Yep, there should be a torch in the rear of my Elegance Estate...only reason I bought the car... (joke) :giggle:

They're the mats I'm after, can I ask where you bought them from - presumably they came with all the fixings?

Edited by wawilkinson

Bought mats from SkodaParts.com (Bickerton Skoda in Sheffield).

Thy seem to be very accomodating in giving discounts! :-)

According to their website there are 3 kinds of mats:

1. Rubber abt £32

2. Carpet with logo abt £42

3. Premier carpet with logo (same as (2) but nicer edgings) abt £42

(3) is now discontinued and i bought the last set for £38 (further discounted)

with 4 carpet screws.

Thomasz at SkodaParts (top bloke) said a new product has replaced (3) and cost abt £54.

The main Skoda website only sells the rubber and carpet mats (2?) <- carpets £42.

If u really want the Skoda mats.

I suggest u go to your local Skoda to see thm so tht u know wot u getting.

Thn decide where u want to buy from...

Yep, will be rechargeable but not sure on the battery type - will crack it open once it arrives!

Just picked up some mats (same as above) from my local dealer for £42 which I thought was ok, only £4 more than you paid... ;)

The car is set to an annual service, so I enquired about costs - £129 for mine, again which is ok - and asked if they'd do the Columbus firmware and maps, to which they said they would for £30...I seem to remember this being mentioned in another thread i.e. some dealers will do it as a 'bit on the side' as such...

I'm pretty happy with that, although would do it myself if I could source the 'files' - I'm an IT consultant so happy with firmware flashing/map uploading...

Cool mate!

Any pics of the mats?

Has it got the black woven edges or cloth edges?

There is no harm in asking for discounts at dealers too!

My £38 was originally £43!

And u may even get discount for being BriSkoda member! :-)

I paid a fixed price of £350 for nx / year service including MOT at Skoda Leeds.

Paying the 2 years separately and MOT would have cost me maybe another £100+ more.

Also ring a few local Skoda dealers to compare prices!!!

Yes - some thread here said their local dealers upgrade maps for free etc.

I not asked yet.

Also there were 3 recalls for Superb (2 in 2009 and1 in 2011).

U might ned to chk yours been recalled in 2011:

image_zps8011f02b.jpg

Also i think there was a FREE relaminate of the Skoda badge if yours

is badly worn (open field action 6FF1):

image_zpsf8ac2518.jpg

I will take a pic of the mats and post here shortly, but without looking I think they have woven edges. Fixings were already in the car so just clipped straight in and I now have some spare fixings if required in the future... ;)

I'll check the recall information with the dealer when I put it in for a service, thanks! Fuel leak obviously a worry, but I had read about badges wearing early, so took a good look at it before buying (not that it would have been a deal breaker) and it looks fine currently. Will keep an eye on it though as warranty expires in July.

I believe the £129 price is standard for cars 3yr to 10yrs (mines not quite 3yrs old yet but he said they'd do it for the £129 anyway) and its based on a minor service (1yr/10k miles), I believe the major was £100 more or so and obviously an MOT would be an addition...They said it looks like the car has been set to a fixed (yearly) service rather than variable, hence the service notification already - the previous owner had it serviced in Feb12 and its done less than 10k miles since then.

I'm only doing circa 10k miles a year currently, so the same yearly, minor service should be fine...

I would question the charge for updating the columbus firmware, as any bolero updates i have had, have not been charged for.

However the maps update may be different.

Microsoft & Apple dont charge for updates ( only whole OS changes), so why do the car maunufacturers.

Microsoft & Apple dont charge for updates ( only whole OS changes), so why do the car maunufacturers.

I was charged to get Vista to work properly..................the cost of an update to Windows 7 ;) ;)

It seems that there is no consistancy across the dealer network for updates: some people get charged, some do not. If it's to fix an issue, there really shouldn't be a charge.

I agree, charging for fw and map upgrades is cheeky...I'm still mulling it over so may try 'other options' or simply insist they do it for free!

On another note, I got my boot torch through the post today and although listed as used is in A1 condition...pics attached.

It has two LED lights in 'torch mode' and then a standard light on top which acts as an additional boot light when stowed away!

So it looks like it takes 3 AAA rechargeable batteries?

As for map upgrades.

Lucky if free from dealer!

I hear from other car forums to upgrade to latest maps its £200+ from dealer!

My Scooby had DVD satnav - so only cost me to buy £35 latest maps from internet.

With my Superb - its a Harddrive - unsure if u can buy cheaper 3rd party maps to install?

As with most things, it's all about the money.

Columbus is an extra in terms of money. Then you are made to feel like you need the regular updates at a cost.

When the update DVD is put into the slot, don't you hear the "ker-ching ker-ching ker-ching" noise? ;) ;)

Yep, 3 x AAA batteries in the torch, so nice and easy to replace!

I agree, charging for new maps is money for old rope but most car manufacturers and sat nav companies do it...

It's not an issue for me, I will try and get it done for free, one way or another and if not I don't see it being a massive issue...

Just added a 'Skoda' tax disc holder - can't stand dealer holders and worst still it was proper stuck and resulted in the screen needing a good clean!

WP 000478

WP 000477

Not the best pics, but you get the idea!

Nice and cheap off eBay and actually has a decent quality feel to it, despite clearly being 'home-made'...

It has a 'Pleather' feel and decent weight, with a well printed logo - subtle and understated...just like the Superb!!

Nice and subtle it is mate!

I didn't like the one that came with my car - and I couldn't afford the one BriSkoda was selling (did u know they sell one here, check out the SHOP link?).

I love this one, same price as the BriSkoda one, but it was too pricey (magnectic):

zDisc_zps497be789.png

Love this one too, but didn't like the seller's feedbacks (only £2.99 non-magnetic):

zDisc2_zps09f8f1e8.png

In the end, I settle for this (non-magnetic):

image_zpsd30694db.jpg

Yep, saw the middle one on there too but preferred just the black and white writing - looks a bit retro too!

I've had the aluminium ones in the past but think they are a little bulky and a bit boy-racer-ish...just my opinion though! ;)