Flashing handbrake light puzzle

Hi folks,

It is not as straight forward as you might assume, honest!

My car is an Octavia Ambiente 2.0TDI PD.

I have the red exclamation mark warning light flickering whilst driving, along with the warning beep. I am aware that this usually indicates either the handbrake is on or the brake fluid level is low. Neither are the cause.

I have tried to pinpoint the issue. First I removed the connector from the brake fluid resevoir and closed the circuit with a paper clip. The light still flickered on and off whilst driving. I have also dismantled the centre console and removed the handbrake switch. The problem persisted, so I have eliminated the switches as the cause.

I don't have a Skoda garage near by but took it to Volkswagen for their thoughts. They suggested that the cause might be the no4 ignition coil, as this was the only error they could find, and said that skoda may have used the brake warning light rather than the usual coil light as the multiple warning indicator. My octavia is a base model. They have quoted for the repair but I am just not convinced this is the cause of the issue.

The problem seems to be worst in the wet, and seems to be aggrevated by bumps in the road, although it is difficult to tell.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how this warning light might be used? Can you confirm what I am being told by the Volkswagen dealer?

Also, can anyone tell me where the other end of the wire from the brake fluid resevoir terminates? I would like to check the connection at the opposite end.

Many thanks,

Gavin.

It's not something very obvious like the brake pad wear indicator is it? Front pads getting close to, but not fully on the sensor may indicate like you are experiencing? I'm just taking a wild guess here though.

Hi MikeHolroyd,

I suspected the level sensor but eliminated that by removing the connector and shorting it out as a test. Wish it were that simple!

Tried another garage today, but they just referred me to the dealer. My nearest dealer is over an hour away!

Cheers,

Ok. Not progressing with the local garages. I think I need to try to fix this myself.

As far as I can tell from the online manuals, there are only two causes of this warning light, the handbrake and low brake fluid.

I have already checked both, and eliminated the handbrake switch and fluid level sensor as a possible cause.

Because a broken wire to the handbrake switch would not cause the light to come on, but a broken wire to the fluid sensor would, I am inclined to think that it is more likely that the fault is on the brake fluid level side. Therefore I need to trace the wires from the reservoir and see where they end up.

Can any of the experts out there confirm my logic or add any useful advice before I grab my screwdrivers and dive in?

Many thanks,

Gavin.

Yes, I have had some suspension springs replaced and a new rear hub due to ABS warnings.

The handbrake warning problem started before either repair but was very infrequent. It has got progressively worse and is now on pretty much all the time. It doesn't appear to be producing any error codes though.

Thanks,

I've had almost the same problem. A while back the abs lights came on. I managed to clean up 3 of the wheel sensors but the 4th one wouldn't come out. It seemed to fix the fault then but now the abs light is back on.

I bought a new sensor and during removal of the old one I damaged the sensor ring on the hub - oops! Old sensor out and new one in but lights still on. I had planned to get a new hub put on but then the handbrake warning light started beeping and flashing - aaargh!

I've checked the fluid level - fine, checked the fluid level cap/sensor by removing the cap and inverting it to give an empty reading and then turning it up to give a full reading and the warning light did as it should. Put it all back together and went for a drive and it stayed off.

Great thought I'd cracked it............ no........ the handbrake light came back on whilst driving home today....bugger!

I still plan to do the rear hub for the abs problem but have no idea about the brake warning light. Any tips or solutions would be greatly appreciated, If I find a cure I'll let you know as well.

Just removed a couple of wheels to look for damaged wires and check what happens when you disconnect things.

At the front wheel there are two sets of wires. Disconnecting one brings on the break pad warning light, the other brings on the ABS and Skid warning lights as you would expect. Neither have any bearing on the handbrake warning light.

At the back wheel there is only one connection and this activated the ABS and Skid warning lights.

There are no damaged wires and moving the wires does not affect the handbrake warning light. I have also checked the wires around the resevoir and cannot see any damage.

However, whilst parked up, ignition on but engine off, handbrake off, if I shook the car, the warning light would flicker!

I am convinced this is a loose wire and it must be in the dashboard somewhere.

Need to work out which part of the dashboard to dismantle. As always, any ideas would be really, really appreciated!

The handbrake warning issue now appears to be within the dashboard cluster itself. If you put pressure on the front of the cluster you can effect the warning light. I have loosened the cluster and the problem has gone away.....for now!

Looking on the internet and these clusters are known for issues but normally manifest themselves in other ways. Re-flowing the solder joints usually cure the issues apparently.

Does anyone know the correct way to remove the cluster without upsetting the immobiliser? I read that you need to remove fuse 15 first, but suspect that is for a mark 1 octavia. The mark 2 octavia seems to use fuse 6 for the cluster according to the manual, but when I removed mine the display continued to show mileage readout and time. Any ideas?!

Thanks again,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

The handbrake warning issue now appears to be within the dashboard cluster itself. If you put pressure on the front of the cluster you can effect the warning light. I have loosened the cluster and the problem has gone away.....for now!

Looking on the internet and these clusters are known for issues but normally manifest themselves in other ways. Re-flowing the solder joints usually cure the issues apparently.

Does anyone know the correct way to remove the cluster without upsetting the immobiliser? I read that you need to remove fuse 15 first, but suspect that is for a mark 1 octavia. The mark 2 octavia seems to use fuse 6 for the cluster according to the manual, but when I removed mine the display continued to show mileage readout and time. Any ideas?!

Thanks again,

I've got the same problem with mine. Light flashes and bleeps at random times. Checked all usual stuff you have checked but can't seem to pinpoint the issue. Did you manage to fix yours ???

Hi Rackha,

I no longer own the car, but I solved it initialy by loosening the cluster.  Drove like that for a while and it was ok.  Eventually took another look and found that when I tightened it up again, the problem did not re-appear.  Suspect that moving the cluster masked the problem.  Perhaps it was a trapped wire or a dry joint somewhere.

Good luck,

Gavin.

• 3 weeks later...

Had the cluster out had all console out checked all wiring. No faults found anywhere. Tried with everything loose. Problem still there. Just seems to come on and off at random times. Can't find ant pattern to it. It's driving me mad.

I'd first try the methods Gavin used to rule out the obvious...

I have tried to pinpoint the issue. First I removed the connector from the brake fluid resevoir and closed the circuit with a paper clip. The light still flickered on and off whilst driving. I have also dismantled the centre console and removed the handbrake switch. The problem persisted, so I have eliminated the switches as the cause.

• 3 years later...

Had exact same fault was a loose connection on green plug side of instrument cluster. Aftwr havin Had carpets up following wires, splitting rewiring. Replacing switches.  discovered pulling plug to side removed light and stopped beep. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2015 at 10:23, gavinallday said:

Hi Rackha,

I no longer own the car, but I solved it initialy by loosening the cluster.  Drove like that for a while and it was ok.  Eventually took another look and found that when I tightened it up again, the problem did not re-appear.  Suspect that moving the cluster masked the problem.  Perhaps it was a trapped wire or a dry joint somewhere.

Good luck,

Gavin.

Hi, i know this is an old tread but i have the same problem and this is the closest thing to a solution i found. My question is how did tou loosen the cluster. Thank you .