Forcing the gauge backlight to always be on?

Perc

I have a 2012 Elegance with xenons, DRLs and automatic switching via the light sensor. All of this works well, and you never have to worry about it getting too dark before the xenons come on. The sensor is very sensitive and it always switches the headlights on long before I would consider it a necessity.

I'd like it if the gauges were lit up at all times though. There are many times when the sun is out and the weather is perfect, but I can't see the gauges properly because of reflections, or because I'm wearing sunglasses. Switching to xenons just to see the gauges seems dumb.

Can this be tinkered with via VCDS?

I under stand why you want the gauges lit up during the day, to me I like the fact the gauges don't light up until the head lights are. I think the cars on road that do light up are the one you see driving at night with no head lights on. I could be a good idea just to lite up the speedo area for the sunny days.

It could be possible to do it by 'hardwiring' to the appropriate LEDs in the instrument cluster.

First you would need to determine if the lights are activated by switching the supply to them ON (permanent earth), or by connecting them to earth (permanent supply). Probe them with a suitable multi-meter.

If permanent earth, you would then need to determine the LED supply voltage (anything between 2.5V and 12V DC).

Then connect an appropriate wire either to earth; or to a correct supply voltage, either straight to12V or through an appropraite resistor to get the required voltage depending on the current they draw (about 20mA per LED).

Alternatively, mount some extra LEDs (12V ones would be best) and supply them separately from anything else in the cluster. Might be a bit bright at night though when they're all on.

It could all be a bit risky, since the the lights are controlled by an electronic module in the dash, which a wrong move might 'fry'. :sweat:

If it can be done through OBE/VCDS, then that would be much easier! :happy:

As far as I am aware this mod isn't possible through VCDS or VAS (dealer tool)

When I emailed DANA at Ross-Tech about it she didn't believe it was possible on our version of the CCM.

Shame as it looks so much better backlit, even in the day :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Yes one feature I miss from my old Mark 2 A3, the cluster in that had a light sensor just for the backlight on the cluster, it could also be programmed to be on all the time using VCDS. I think it is that we have a cheaper cluster in the Octavia that doesn't include that functionality.

Paul

Been thinking about your quest , seems that you will need a wiring diagram for both the dash light and switch and instead of using the voltage or signal feed to the light switch, wire it to the ignition either switch or feed , so when the ignition is switched on the dash lights are switched on too. That assuming there is not ecu module that governs the lights or secondary relay. Looks like a circiut tester , volt meter and a few hours ....good luck.

Been thinking about your quest , seems that you will need a wiring diagram for both the dash light and switch and instead of using the voltage or signal feed to the light switch, wire it to the ignition either switch or feed , so when the ignition is switched on the dash lights are switched on too. That assuming there is not ecu module that governs the lights or secondary relay. Looks like a circiut tester , volt meter and a few hours ....good luck.

The light switch is connected directly to the 09 CCM, so connecting any part of this to the ignition circuit would illuminate the side lights all the time - same as switching the light switch on.

A good way to show this is turn the side lights on with the ignition on (dash is illuminated), then get out and lock the car. The dash lights go out (external lights stay on) which shows they are independently controlled. probably through CAN communication between the CCM and the instrument cluster.