Eng Temp/coolant warning light issue

wilsonian

About a year ago my car started off showing the engine coolant warning light on start up however once the needle had moved off the bottom a engine restart would clear the issue. Around a month ago I replaced the coolant bottle as the common resolve with this fault seems to be the sensor.

A month has passed with no problems except it's started doing it again. The coolant level is correct (around 5mm off max). Can anyone help with this issue?

Scrape the sensor prongs with a screwdriver.

My Dad use to do this for his Occy but the Fabias is covered over and part of the plastic tank. Hence the replacement of the tank/sensor. I'll try topping it to the brim.

Had exactly same problem mate. New header tank fixed it. Cost about 40 quid including the labour to get it done.

You can try scraping the sensor at the bottom of the tank if you can get at it but only works as a fix in some cases and is arguably only a temporary fix anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the tank was fitted when I carried out a cam belt change at the start of the year. It pinged today while the engine was heating up (needle around the quarter mark) - any other suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

I always prefer to see how issues are resolved as it helps people when they use the search function.

With this said I believe I've fixed the issue. While I wasn't below the minimum indicator level I topped up the bottle to the maximum line (note never fill the bottle up! :) ) and I haven't seen the light since.

So either we've placed the bottle slightly out of line or the indicator marks on this 3rd party bottle are out.

Thanks to all who replied. :)