vRS Suspension

Broken

The time has come to replace the suspension in my vRS, the distinct lack of damping has been going on for too long. As I have never replaced the suspension on a car before I am having some difficulties in deciding what to put on as the replacement set up. I'm looking for how different set ups compare with standard suspension so that I have some ideas of real world performance for different brands/models of suspension.

Currently the car has standard dampers with (unkown orogin) lowering springs (copule of garages have told me the car is lower than standard). I like the gt nature of the car and don't want to lose that, ideally I would like it to remain comfortable over long distances but have good body control for when playing. I don't want to feel exhausted after a long drive or shaken to bits by the car because the suspension is so firm it becomes useless on uk roads, but akso don't want the car to feel floaty and not controlled when I'm on a good road/tour.

The garages could just be referring to the RS being lower than a 'normal' Octavia and you might not necessarily have any aftermarket springs fitted. I think they are around 15mm lower all round than say a normal 1.4 or 1.9TDI.

There are lots of threads on this subject if you do a search.

Have a think about what you want to upgrade, cheapest and most effective way to reduce body roll and make things firmer without reducing comfort is by adding a good rear anti roll bar. I found the standard suspension a little soft and boaty for the power of these cars. Braking and acceleration either left the nose up or down too much. FK highsport coilovers sorted the pitchiness for me but it did take away from the overall comfort on rough roads. With a modest drop in ride height I found the front bumper was actually rubbing the road less than it was with the standard suspension and on good roads they improved the overall feel of the car.

I can't directly comment on any of the uprated damper and spring setups available but there is plenty of info on them if you do a search here.

The dampers need changing as it is bouncing in a straight line on bumpy roads or if driven in an even remotely spirited fashion. A rarb may well be a good idea as well.

It has been commented on by some vw car guys I know that it is lower than a standard vRS. I saw the H&R springs and am tempted as a 20mm drop should give me a bit more ground clearance but still help with handling.

I have been doing some searching on here about suspension trying to find the info I require but am struggling to work out the best route to go, What would be good dampers to go for if I got some H&R 20mm lowering springs? Or some good quality coil overs that wont destroy the ride, whilst improving on body control?

I have been quoted £600 for standard suspension replacement (fitted) so anything below that would be a bonus but I can afford to spend some more if it is the right thing to do.

Edited by Broken

I personally think this is one of the best all round springs and shocks kits available, big thumbs up from me.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Well, you've already got an order from me for something else. :thumbup:

I as tempted to try this kit, though, but the assurance of having the option of fine adjustment on the ride height made me go for the coilovers.

You'll be better off going with the B8's.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Thanks Damian.

Would the wietec ultra gt kit be better than the bilstein B8 dampers & H&R 20mm lowering springs? Do wietec do a kite that lowers the car less than 35mm?

I'd say the Bilstein B12 kit would be a better option.

No but the Weitec 35mm kit will only lower the VRS around 20mm.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I wondered about the B12 kit but couldn't see the vRS listed as a fittment so had ruled it out. If there is a fitment for the vRS then that may be the best choice, otherwise I may go for the Weitec kit.

The time has come to replace the suspension in my vRS,

I'd say the Bilstein B12 kit would be a better option.

No Bilstein don't list a B12 kit for the VRS as Eibach don't list springs for them.

?

No Bilstein don't list a B12 kit for the VRS as Eibach don't list springs for them.

Damian @ DPM Performance

If a kit is not listed how would you get the correct fittment for the vRS?

How would the Bilstein suspension compare to the Weitech Ultra GT suspension?

• Sponsor

Sorry, a bit confusing from me there :S

For the VRS you'd need to get the Bilstein B8 dampers and then get the H&R springs which would make up the B12 kit. Bilstein are now partnering with Eibach and thus why they now no longer list it for the VRS.

The Weitec Ultra GT kit is a very good option and well suited for everyday fast road use but I'd say the B12 would just edge it in terms of build quality and handling with them being a monotube damper.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Thanks for the clarificartion Damian. The B8 dampers and H&R springs was the route I was tempted to go down (so I could raise my car slightly from what it is now), but the Weitec kit is tempting for the price difference. The car would be a daily driver, with some big distances covered on occasions, this is what was causing my dilema. I will probably call you to discuss which parts will best suit my requirements as I'm also renewing some other parts on the car as well, The car will be almost exclusively used on road (with the possible occasional trackday) so road use is my main concern.

• 1 month later...

Spoke to Damien on thursday (after my insurance company finally got back to me about modifying the car), very helpful about what the different dampers/springs would be like on the car and how they would work together with the Eibach arb kit.

The decision has been made and the order placed. Bilstein B8 dampers, H&R 20mm springs and Eibach front & rear arb kit ordered. When these arrive (along with the ECS stage 1 clutch kit I ordered from awesome gti) the car will be getting booked in for them to be fitted along with new engine and gearbox mounts, top mounts for the suspension and some new bushes/lower wishbone arms for the suspension. Hopefully it will make the car feel considerably better than it currently does. Looking forward to getting the new bits on the car and driving it.

Would love to have the funds to have ordered that led little lot aswell!

Ive just had both wishbones with new bushes new arb bushes and drop links changed for new standard ones and noticed a difference from that alone in the feel of the car, so i think you will have a very nice first drive after that lots fitted!!!

I hope so, looking forward to not having the suspension bouncing like an american car. I was thinking about changing the car as it is a fair bit to spend getting this lot done, but there was nothing I wanted that was available for the money I wanted to spend so the octy is getting new bits to refresh it instead.

The dampers, springs and anti roll bars turned up today :) Just waiting for the clutch kit now (waiting on arrival in the uk before being shipped to me). Will be arranging fitting when the clutch arrives.

Yes I am going for standard engine mounts. I do some long drives and want to keep it comfortable for those occasions. Not sure on price of the engine mounts, am getting the garage to supply a few bits for the job so will find out when I speak to them to arrange a time for fitting.

I will post up my thoughts on the springs/dampers, arbs and clutch kit etc when they have been fitted and also when they have had some use and bedded in.