Feeling a bit simple...

mac11irl

Hey Guys,

havnt been on in ages, due to time etc... and the Octy having had NO issues in the last 6months!

My question seems a little stupid i know, but.....

what is the Difference between the Octavia iii and the Rapid?! other than the 2k difference on Irish list price,

i cant see a whole lotta difference, even the body shape in pictures of them, look nigh on identical.

I cant afford either of them now... or in the near future, but might be interested in the 2nd hand market in a couple of yrs :-)

again, sorry, i know it stupid question...

so essentially then, they are the same....

I was thinking originally it was a sort "Cordoba - Toledo" things with Seat, until i saw them..

it basically means its the same car, just the Octavia is a touch more ... modrenly built?

People regret mentioning Saloon or 4 door cars around me. I see red and go into a 10 minute long rant about the ****ness of those boots and how if a liftback or hatchback boot had been put in the car would be 10 times more useful.

Then my dad and two brothers both got saloon cars so I'm the only one who can carry heavy loads. :wall:

Ha I too have had this debate many many times.

I love the look of a saloon.

But by far the Hatch is much better.

But then we are tasked with explaining what the difference between a hatch and a saloon is.

Easiest way I find it to ask the following.

If you had to put a body in a boot would you struggle?

Yes = Saloon

No = Hatchback

:D GRIM I KNOW

Haha, good reasoning there.

I think with modern cars saloons and hatchbacks look so similar anyway, in fact some cars come in both options. My dads old Proton Persona (yeah....really) had the option of both. The dimensions were identical though!

edit: when i say hatchback I actually mean 'liftback' i.e. the Octavia.

Edited by yesiamtom

Thats one way of looking at it Prop... I had Hatchback when i was younger, brilliant.

then got a saloon (Cordoba) and that tiny boot lid was a tad annoying.

My father in law has a "Saloon" Mazda3, which we used to bring 5 of us on a road trip last xmas to visit a sister in law.

that f-ing tiny boot opening wrecked my head trying to pack all the crap in...

I did the driving, as ive the endurance for concentrating on not crashing after 6hrs of driving - and i had spare shoes wedged in the door pocket...

3 weeks later i bought my Octy.... we cudve brought twice as much stuff with us, all in the boot!!!!!!!

so essentially then, they are the same....

No - different chassis

I'm guessing the Rapid's will be rolling out of old factories which still have the mk.4 Golf production facilities in place, whereas the MQB vehicles will come from factories which will retool from Golf mk.5 platform production

• Like 1

The difference in boot space/access between my Octavia and my brothers Bora is massive. It's pretty pathetic in comparison.

That's amazing that they are still using the mk4 platform. Does the rapid have the same rear axle as mk4?

Edited by michael1