Battery Drain

stan7746

Hi, can anybody help with the following problem I am having.

I have a Fabia II Elegance TDI CR 105 Estate which has covered 10600 miles in 16 months from new the reason I mention this will become relevant shortly.

Having just returned from a short 8 mile round trip I parked the car up as usual and did not return to it again for about 18 hours, when I did the remote would not unlock the car so I tried the new spare remote thinking that perhaps the battery had failed in the original but it proved to be a flat battery on the car.

I called out the RAC who jump started me and carried out the normal checks like battery condition, charge rate etc. no faults found until he checked the discharge rate, after about 10 mins the power drop was as expected but after 30 mins the meter still read 1.4 to 1.5 amp discharge and this did not change during the following 30 mins. He checked that all courtesy lights and door locks were working as they should and said I would have to return the vehicle to the main dealer.

I had to wait 6 days before they could get it booked in so I put the battery on trickle charge for 30 hours and all went well for 2 days then once again overnight a flat battery, now I would add this is not just a case of the car wont quite turn over it’s a case of the doors will not operate and once access is gained via a key and the ignition turned on the rear wiper moves about an inch or so before giving up due to lack of power supply and of course no dash lights at all, I got a friend with a Range Rover to give me a jump start but only having those cheap jump leads we had to leave his vehicle running for about 5 mins connected from battery to battery before the Fabia would start.

This happened twice more but eventually got it into the main dealer who kept it over night, when I went to collect it I was informed they could not detect any faults and said it was possibly due to the low mileage I had covered and the fact its winter the normal drain plus those on all the added extras I had fitted like heated seats, sat nav etc. this could explain the problem, I explained about the battery charging I had carried out but this I think feel on deaf ears anyway I returned home after a 25 mile round trip parked up and yes you guessed it next day battery was dead flat, I contacted the main agent who said they will phone me with a date to get it back into the workshop.

Sorry it’s such a long winded explanation but I thought I had better supply as much info as possible; any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds virtually the same as I had with my Fabia II Excellence TDi CR 90 Hatch, purchased almost exactly a year ago.

In 3 months I had only done 650 miles and the car had spent over 3 weeks at the dealers!

Within the first week they had to jump start it 3 times.

The usual ' you,ve left the interior light on ' and other accusations didn't help, but eventually the dealer traced a temperature switch on the engine which did its own thing in the middle of the night with resultant power loss. Even a direct computer link to Milton Keynes hadn't found that, and fault codes were only significant by their absense.

If it helps, PM me & I'll try to get some details to you.

Good Luck!

Many thanks to both bluecar1 and punyXpress for your replies.

punyXpress having read the history on your vehicles fault was there actually a dual problem with both the Temperature Switch and the Alternator Controller or was the original Temp Switch diagnosis a matter of elimination by the dealer?

Sounds like terrible customer service. I would not accept that response, if it has broken down just hours after leaving the dealer. There must be a draw on the battery to flatten the battery like that.

UPDATE - Thursday 28th Feb

Saturday morning (23rd) battery flat again so got in touch with the dealer and explained the non-start and that I needed to know when the vehicle was going to be booked in, he asked me "to bring it in now" which I did after getting it jump started.

To be fair they had a courtesy car for me and a mechanic was asked to take the car into the workshop just after I arrived but had the opportunity to explain the history to him, he asked if it had a tow bar fitted (which it does) as he had rectified a similar problems with an aftermarket fitted tow bar on a another vehicle which had the electrical socket filling up with water and causing a short but as mine was factory fitted he did not think this should have the same problem but would check it anyway.

Well that was 5 days ago and the last I have heard to date but will keep you updated.

Edited by stan7746

As I had still not heard anything I called into the dealers this evening to get an update the service manager said he was about to call me as they had now found the cause of the battery drain it would seem it was the stereo as it was staying live all the time?

It would seem they have a new replacement but it may take a few days to fit because I have several options fitted - sat nav, Bluetooth, telephone etc. what difference that makes I am not sure but was pleased they had at least located the problem so with luck I hope to have the car back by Tuesday next week.

Well contacted today by the dealer and told the stereo they ordered had not arrived so they have had to place another order but there is not one in the UK (which seems strange to me) so have it would seem my car will be with them for at least another 4 to 5 days, I am now getting more than a little cheesed off

It's been three weeks today that the Fabia has been with the main dealers so it was yet another visit (as I have not been updated) to see if there is any progress as although I have been loaned a courtesy car having no idea when I am likely to be asked to return it and collect the Fabia I have cancelled a weeks planned break to Scotland.

So it would now seem the new radio/Sat Nav has now been fitted and is being monitored over the week end to confirm all’s well prior to hopefully collection Monday/Tuesday, not sure how successful it might be but as it's taken so long I will ask if they would, as a good will gesture, waive the charge for my next service, I will keep you posted

Edited by stan7746

It would seem the saga continues, I was contacted yesterday (Wednesday 20th) and told all being well I could collect the car the following day so today I thought I would find out what time I could collect only to be informed they are back to square one and not sure what to do next. Also informed Skoda UK had not responded to the main dealer’s enquiries regarding the problem so I contacted them myself and explained the situation and was told all the info had been logged and would be passed to a manager who will contact me within 24 working hours (3 days?)

I must admit I am becoming very despondent although I can’t help but feel sorry for the service manager at the main dealers who I know is very upset and frustrated about the situation so at least I am not by myself, update to follow as and when!!!

They are taking the pith.

Contact Skoda UK Customer Services and advise them that if your Dealer can not call in a Qualified Auto Electrician you will go to one yourself and they can cover the cost through the Warranty.

Charge them for your out of pocket expenses.

Or leave the vehicle with them until repaired and keep the courtesy car until then.

If no Courtesy car available ask for one of the Dealership Directors cars & they can have yours.

Best get a 4x4 for this weekend.

george

Thank you both for your comments and advise.

punyXpress that would be very helpful as the main dealer service manager is at a loss which way to turn next and has said he would be greatful for any help, would you be kind enough to give me the name and telephone number of your main dealers I could then pass this over and perhaps together they may be able to resolve this problem.

Many thanks once again

It doesn't take much skill or knowledge to put a test meter clamp on the battery live lead ( or to remove one of the battery leads and measure the drain current directly) to determine what the battery drain current is when the engine and all ancillaries are off (alarm on) . I would take it to another dealer.

Edited by vwcabriolet1971

True vwcabriolet1971 but as I have requested Skoda UK to get involved I will see what the outcome is by the end of this week then see if there has been any progress if not I will find out what my legal options are!!!!!!

Thank you for your interest.

Another Update

Contacted by Skoda UK customer service manager which to cut a long story short boils down to she was very sorry to hear about the problem and the time it’s taken but as its an intermittent fault it is difficult to find and not sure when I will get the car repaired but wont be until after the Easter Bank Holidays.

Not really sure what steps to take next as have just about had enough now but at least I do have a courtesy car but would obviously like my own vehicle back.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thought I would let you know that although Skoda UK have now got involved and said they would assist the main dealer in sorting out the fault within 72 working hours I have heard nothing since my last post on 27th March, it would seem jointly they are no closer to finding the fault let alone rectifying it than when I took the car to them 5 weeks ago, I think I have been very patient but admit I have nearly come to the end of my tether but what can I do???????

Id say you have one of 2 problems either theres a short circuit somewhere or more likely one of the networks on the car is staying active when it should go to sleep. Best thing to do is what sk4gw said and to get them to pay for an auto electrician to look at it.

To be honest, I doubt going to another professional auto electrician will help. He may well not know your Skoda car as well as your dealer, and that matters these days as your car is in fact a mobile computer on wheels! And dealers do have their own fully trained electricians who can normally track down any electrical problem whatever it is. If this was a straightforward case it would have been resolved by now. It clearly isn't, and I would advise, and based upon my own experience of dealing with problems just like this in the trade, that you leave the car for the time being with your Skoda dealer for them and SUK to explore the possibilities, however frustrating that may be. Clearly you can't give them forever to fix the fault, and you can think more about that in due course. But, you may cause big problems if you get someone else to start prodding around and any damage they do (and it's possible to do loads!) may not be covered under warranty. You'd be surprised at the things I've seen happen in cases just like this when another firm causes problem. It gets messy. Good luck with that and keep posting.