Can the daylight running bulbs be changed to Bi Xenon

kgm

Not sure about bulb technology,

but can the lower halogen daylight runing bulbs be replaced with (?) Bi Xenon whiter bulbs.

There are now many cars running with this look.

Now too old for DIY, so it would have to be local Skoda garage if possible.

kgm

Edited by kgm

There are dozens of posts about changing the DRL's on here.

It's either the Mtec bulbs that last about a week or fit Led's, or just leave alone, knowing you won't cause error codes, cause excessive heat that melts the fittings, or cause fumes off the hot components that will ruin the complete fog lamp housings.

BTW, I have the T-shirt, but I might re-visit this saga in the summer

Edited by Tankdave

Indeed.

If your going to do it, get the "normal" led ones, not the "canbus safe" ones, thus they will not have resistors on them to get hot. You will of course then be required to fit "load" reistors to the DRL feed wire, making sure it does not come into contact with any other wiring or plastic bodywork etc, as they could melt it.

It's a lot of mucking about for so very little.

I changed mine for EXNON 21w from MTEC Part no. MT-227 just needed to change the bulbs .Have bee in for 6 months ,no problem,very bright white, even although the bulbs are blue to look at.I can't remember where I got them from,but I think it was Japan.

If you google MTEC MT-227, you should get some result

.It saves faffing around with LED's and resistors etc.

Best of luck

I changed mine for EXNON 21w from MTEC Part no. MT-227 just needed to change the bulbs .Have bee in for 6 months ,no problem,very bright white, even although the bulbs are blue to look at.I can't remember where I got them from,but I think it was Japan.

If you google MTEC MT-227, you should get some result

.It saves faffing around with LED's and resistors etc.

Best of luck

Those are the ones that I have just installed, along with the matching bulbs for the fog lights. Bought them from HIDs Direct.

Done them MTEC's, fed up with them blowing, must have needed mine in the middle of a whole dodgy batch. They are a great option if they stay working, so try them, the dodgy batch may have passed.

I am sure you all know this but just to be sure. You must not touch any bulb filled with exnon gas or it will reduce the life .I use a clean tissue it seems to work OK.

Not quite correct, you cannot touch Halogen lamps as the glass envelope is a quartz and the oil from your fingers etches into the quartz. This heats up causing a weakness in the envelope and finally possible breakage. HID lamps on the other hand have the discharge gas, be it Xenon, Halides, sodium, etc inside a quartz or ceramic arc tube which you can see inside the glass outer envelope. there is no issue in touching the glass.

I fitted these 6 months ago and they are by far the best I have seen so far, granted £30 for a pair of bulbs is a lot of money… but they are very good.

The Cree is on the right (passenger side) the left bulb is also an LED but these started to fail within 18 months.

IMG_0782.jpg

This is how the LED’s started out (bear in mind this was taken on an overcast day and the above is in sunlight):

LEDDRLs.jpg