rattling engine. oil light came on. refilled. engine continues to rattle loudly

Step one: check dipstick

Step two: decide to remove or add more oil

Step three: do either of the above

Step four: check dipstick

Step five: rinse and repeat as necessary to get oil level between minimum and maximum marks on dipstick

No elaborate measuring devices are required.

• Like 1

Guest BigJase88

This is funny!

Remembers me of a story i heard a few years ago!

Guy thought it was a good idea to rev the engine whilst doing an oil change (oil dropped at this point) as it 'gets all the old oil out'

Lol

I said around 4.5 liters, checking my oil can I can just see there's just over 500 mils in it but it's hard to see 67mls the lines are every 500mls lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Draining 500ml into a jug would be alot easier and more accurate than keep wiping and checking the dipstick surely, and also risking taking too much oil out?

It is approx 4.3 litres.

Your dipstick has a min and max so as long as you are in these areas you are ok.

Droping oil in and checking dipstick is a few minutes work buddy, not exactly rocket science.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

I gave the sump and block side a real good clean up yes and got all the old gasket off, also gave the sump a real good clean out with boiling hot water and washing up liquid + wire brush.

Carb cleaner is your friend if you ever do this agin ;) but whatever works buddy.

The engines do use some oil but if you have too much in there you can poison your cat, like I said I'd probably just drain it and replace it but I'm pretty anal about fluids in the car, bodgetastic on most other things! But never oil

116000 miles and I've never had to top up my oil between changes, tbh it never moves off the full mark.

As for measuring I use a cheap kitchen measuring jug from Tesco, cost about £1 last time I looked and marked at 100ml increments, with larger marks at 500ml and 1ltr, so you can accurately pour the correct amount in without even checking the dipstick, well once, after around 5 mins when the new oil has reached the sump.

Just thought, another plus for using the jug is you don't have to try and pour from a 5ltr can and end up getting it all over the cam cover!!

Edited by butchvrs

116000 miles and I've never had to top up my oil between changes, tbh it never moves off the full mark.

As for measuring I use a cheap kitchen measuring jug from Tesco, cost about £1 last time I looked and marked at 100ml increments, with larger marks at 500ml and 1ltr, so you can accurately pour the correct amount in without even checking the dipstick, well once, after around 5 mins when the new oil has reached the sump.

Just thought, another plus for using the jug is you don't have to try and pour from a 5ltr can and end up getting it all over the cam cover!!

You should use that to pour -out- whats not needed and put the rest in. 4.5L to MAX. :)

I second Keirravn, the Skoda manual says its normal for this car to use oil. 1L for every 1000 miles if you are doing long journeys. I often travel distances so mine does use it.

Guest BigJase88

Of course it will use oil!

Ever seen the crank case vent? That spits oil like nobody's business