Heater matrix pipes - nightmare to fit?

Hose is ordered and shipped, might bob into the scrappy today an see if there's an old fabia or polo with one on, otherwise I'll just buy one, wish I could've sorted it before now as gotta drive from the lakes to Hastings in ma dads crv which is mucho thirsty compared to the Vrs :-(

Sorry mate, these pics are a bit ****e but hopefully they will be of some use

20140822_200018_zpsibkdjjou.jpg

20140822_200044_zpsqy5sfe9o.jpg

20140822_200108_zps9tky3rgv.jpg

And just to illustrate you will have a boat load more room to work without the standard air box in place. I originally tried to do this with it in situ and it was an absolute pig for space

20140822_200144_zpslrumxr3b.jpg

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

You can see I haven't even been particularly neat with the hoses either... lol bit lazy and embarrassing I know but I'll tidy it up one day. I found removing the existing coolant hoses from the block, turning them round and trimming the length gave me better bends to work with as the pipe isn't overly flexible.

MY OCD traits wouldn't let me not fit hose clips :p

I like to go for the "scrap heap challenge" look lol it is a skoda after all :-)

• Like 1

I think the pipe adaptor is for a 1.4 mpi, or 16v fabia, as said it is a nice solid unit so it seals much easier, the tdi uses the alloy pipes to get away from the heat of the turbo but I would think its fine really as long as your rubber ones don't touch it..

Yes I had a good look before installing to ensure there would be no obvious ill effects caused to the rubber pipes from heat. There's loads of room and it's actually nowhere near close to touching anything hot. Those ally pipes are an absolute nightmare to deal with. I might as well have wiped my arse on £60 when I bought a replacement set.

Well dare I say it, I think I've done it, picked up the plastic pipe connector today an set about fitting it with the new hose. The plastic part bolted to the heater matrix good an even felt better when going in compared to th $h1te alloy £54 pipes I ended up cutting up for sleeves to connect pipes, got a plumber to make a U out of bends to join the one that goes to the block and fingers an toes crossed it will be good. Goes to show the previous set up was rubbish when they do away with it on the mk2's.. Big thanks to AshVrs cheers for doing yours previously and confirming what I was thinking ;-)

• Like 3

• 8 months later...