Sat Nav Question

In practice the Blue is the fastest, as it is usually the one with the fastest roads

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I was just going to ask what makes a route more economical than the fastest route

The Eco route will if possible try and avoid motorways, since travelling at 70mph will use more fuel than 60mph. In effect it will try to use main A roads, and avoid roads with 70mph limit and towns with 30mph limits, prefering to keep the speed to 50 or 60mph.

The Eco route will if possible try and avoid motorways, since travelling at 70mph will use more fuel than 60mph. In effect it will try to use main A roads, and avoid roads with 70mph limit and towns with 30mph limits, prefering to keep the speed to 50 or 60mph.

That explains something then as I used blue a few times and ended up on bizarre routes. I think red it is....Thanks

That explains something then as I used blue a few times and ended up on bizarre routes. I think red it is....Thanks

question.. so if we do not select the three options option.. what is the default route type? fastest/shortest or Eco?

i tend to think is shortest but can anyone confirm?

Leave on default and enter a destination a reasonably long distance, note distance and time shown.

Set for fastest to same destination, and note time and distance.

Set for shortest and note time and distance.

Set for economy and note thre time and distance.

This will enable you to compare all the Columbus settings and decide which to use.

I have to admit I am still getting used to how the Skoda sat nav works out routes. Don't trust it at all and always doing a check on line before setting of on a new journey.

Erm... not so, at least in my experience. I have a choice of two routes into work: the M54 or the arrow-straight A5. Blue (Eco) and Red (fastest) are BOTH the M54. The A5 gets orange (shortest), but not blue, despite my having proved hundreds of times that it uses less fuel.

There is some other algorithm at work, but I don't know what it is. Does Columbus know where there are traffic lights?

I have to admit I am still getting used to how the Skoda sat nav works out routes. Don't trust it at all and always doing a check on line before setting of on a new journey.

In general the Columbus is extremely accurate, it is not wise to assume that any navigation system will be dead accurate. I have found with the Columbus in my last three Superbs to be very accurate, deviate from the provided route and within 5 secs. an updated route is provided.

I am used to GPS an other navigation systems as I used to teach Marine Navigation and I am very happy with the Columbus system, the only drawback is the very slow map updating by Navtek, once a year quoted but can be more than two years out of date, another reason why it is very unwise to rely on car navigation systems. Always carry the latest road maps and check on web map sites.