Which towbar?

Wightyeti

I am confused. I have read all the threads concerning towbars that I could find and I need advice which way to go.

I have a 2010 2.0 litre Elegance that I have just bought.

I only tow a little trailer, or a small dinghy.

I don't care if the car beeps at me when I reverse.

Still under warranty that I do not want to lose.

I don't want something sticking out the back all the time.

I have a very good local garage that has fitted towbars for me on other cars, but the Skoda dealer is a long way away.

Do I buy on the Internet?

do I need some sort of panel, or a new bumper from the dealer?

Are there any makes of bar to avoid?

What would you do?

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Wightyeti

There are several makes of tow bar on the market for the Yeti and at various prices. Any you fit now has to be EU Approved. If you don't want a bit sticking out you will have to go for a removeable one.

What ever you fit it will need the bumper cutting to mount it and there are markings inside to show where the Skoda cover fits.

You will still need a wiring kit for the trailer lights as you cannot "tap" into the lighting circuit nowadays, and the car will need to be programmed to accept the trailer lighting.

There are several makes of tow bar on the market for the Yeti and at various prices. Any you fit now has to be EU Approved. If you don't want a bit sticking out you will have to go for a removeable one.

What ever you fit it will need the bumper cutting to mount it and there are markings inside to show where the Skoda cover fits.

You will still need a wiring kit for the trailer lights as you cannot "tap" into the lighting circuit nowadays, and the car will need to be programmed to accept the trailer lighting.

Thanks. Do I really need programming done? I am just pulling a small trailer.

Yes you do need it reprogramming otherwise:

the indicators will not work correctly,

the dash repeater for failed flashers will not work,

the bulb failure system will not work,

the trailer rear fog will not work correctly,

the stabilty programme is affected,

the alarm system will not include the trailer.

I have a simple 7 pin socket on my lump, it has been reliable, it was a simple relay job supplied by P F Jones of manchester, i uesd scotchlocks to connect into the rear loom and have had no problems with the system however the scotchlocks were coated with waxoyl to prevent corrosion, 2 years later still functioning fine - others on here decry their use, as they indicate they(s/ls) cause probs with the brain, the trailer lighting is activated by plugging into the socket, this trips the relay which has a 20 amp supply to it. The light failure system still works!

I can only recommend as I find!

Good luck with your choices!!

Coding is the easy part it's the rest that's a PITA :rofl:

I agree with that Lee but it doesn't answer why so many Skoda dealers have a problem with the coding.

Fred