Rear sill paintwork protector

Hi guys, just got my car back from the bodyshop and although the job looks good, they have painted right over the clear plastic paint protector and you can see a metallic blue edge round it which kinda highlights it even more, there is no way that thing is coming off now.

Should I ask them to remove it, paint the side of the car again and put a new one on, the reason they painted the whole side of the car was so they could blend it in to match the original paint on the front wing and rear quarter.

They haven't finished the work on it, they promised me it would be completed today but was told this morning they are pushed for time, it's going back in on Monday to get a flat and polish. So I haven't paid yet either.

What do you guys think.

You're the customer and if you are unhappy about the finish then tell them- see what they offer to do but know what you want to happen. At the end of the day it's your hard earned money and you want a good job.

Sounds like a bodge if they have painted over the plastic film. Get them to remove the film, re paint the whole side again and replace the plastic film. Make sure they don't leave buffer trails or orange peel. If it were me I would'nt let them near my car...sorry.,

It's hard to tell at the minute but when I picked it up there was a fine orange peel effect, the colour was spot on though. Will have a proper wash and dry at the weekend them decide if I want it redone, thing I'm worried about is when I come to resell it, and the punter notices its been painted over, or when the plastic film shrinks and expands in the hot and cold what will the paint on top of it do, my bet is it will flake off.

Last thing I want to do is have a complaint about their work but I'm sure it shouldn't have been painted over.

100% botch!

The whole idea of the clear plastic is it goes on top of the paintwork to prevent it getting chipped.

Since they were painting the car anyway why didn't they simply peel off the clear plastic film?

1) They couldn't be bothered

2) They didn't want to have to buy and replace it

Poor show. I'd be taking it back and asking them to do it all again - properly this time.

• Like 1

Your definitely not happy from your posts already, so time to bite the bullet and have some words. Not like it is being done for free! Keys in your hand not paid means your in a good position too!

Yep I was thinking I am In a good position but they originally wanted me to pay when I was picking it up, I said I would like to hold back some payment as the agreed work wasn't finished in the timeframe he had. At the end of our conversation I agreed to bring it back beginning of next week as I needed the car for Friday and decided to tell me he trusts me and will get payment once it finished.

Now do I call him tomorrow, or try and get into him to talk over it, I'm working all day Friday and my wife was meant to drop it off on Monday. Looks like my only choice is a phone call tomorrow and he will have to look at it himself on. Monday.

Yep I was thinking I am In a good position but they originally wanted me to pay when I was picking it up, I said I would like to hold back some payment as the agreed work wasn't finished in the timeframe he had. At the end of our conversation I agreed to bring it back beginning of next week as I needed the car for Friday and decided to tell me he trusts me and will get payment once it finished.

Now do I call him tomorrow, or try and get into him to talk over it, I'm working all day Friday and my wife was meant to drop it off on Monday. Looks like my only choice is a phone call tomorrow and he will have to look at it himself on. Monday.

I would personally want to turn up with the car and point out what your on about put him on the spot. Can always try somewhere else recommended locally if you have time and see what their impression is and use that too. Phone is far to easy for someone to hang up. Easier to turn up with complaint in hand before he is waiting for you.

I can't think of a genuine reason they could come up with as to why they painted over it, a poor show I reckon, don't accept it mate as it will only lead to problems later on when its to late. Don't part with your money until the jobs done to your satisfaction.

ATB

its very common for painters to paint over the protector, don't know why. i saw and heard of alot of cases when in worked in the motor trade. i even had i done to a megane i had in 2003, but due to the colour of the car it was very hard to notice. dont wash the car, you could put silica on the panels that need to be painted and make it harder to re-paint.

No way they should get away with that. Should have been removed and a new protection film applied to the new paint.