Fabia 1 as first car - any advice

HI Everyone,

I'm looking at getting a Fabia mk1, having read through the posts here of all the horror stories!

these are the three i'm looking at

51 plate 1.4 MPI classic (advertised as 16v but assume its 8v),93,000 almost full service history, good condition, branded tyres

04 plate 1.4 16v comfort 80,000 again good condition good history

51 plate 1.9 TDI - this may have sold already, 100,000 on the clock (they also have a SEAT Leon 03 110bph with the same 1.9 TDI engine with 100,000)

The things that are concerning me are:

51 plate 8v chain cam engine at 93,000 - anything to do/worry about - what's the kind of lifespan of these engines? will this be too slow for dual carriageway?

04 plate 16v - read about the horror stores, but the extra power would be nice and a bit more comfort!

51 plate 1.9 TDI - I assume this is the same engine fitted to all VAG cars and I understand its quite good - main worry is with the turbo?

they all have high miles but look well look after from what I can see.

If anyone can advise on what they feel would be the best buy or if I should just keep looking!

cheers!

As an owner of a 2001 TDI I can't praise reliability enough. Yes at that mileage you'll get niggles but most are well documented and easy/cheap to fix. In fact most things I've encountered are electrical, ABS sensors, temp sensor etc. All fixed relatively cheaply.

The 1.9 TDI is a workhorse. It's powerful for a small car but SO efficient easily hitting 65MPG on long light footed runs.

I looked at the 16V 4 years ago but they seem the least reliable of the bunch.

I would go for the 1.4 8v. It is quite high on CO2 and not that fuel efficient but it pulls well from low down and is pretty indestructable. It feels just as fast as a 16v thanks to the torque. 16v 1.4 not one of VWs best efforts: feels gutless and thrashy at top end so go for 8v. It is the old Skoda pushrod engine dating from 60s :) If you want more modern tech try a 1.2 HTP 12v. I am assuming you just wantba little runaround! TDI is great engine but make sure it has been well serviced using the essential 505.01 5w/40 grade oil. Also costly if turbo goes pop.

Edited by Matt Bodycombe

Thanks both for your helpful replies, good to hear the old 8v 1.4 is OK - and the TDI has jumped up the list, will see both tomorrow (and the SEAT too), buying cheap cars is such a minefield!

the 1.2 worries me a little with a 15sec 0-60 - joining dual carriageways could be fun... although I'm not expecting supercar performance with any of these!

Its going to be used for commuting 50 miles a day - perhaps the TDI might be a better buy..

I have the 1.4MPI 8V and i can put my hand on heart and say this thing has been brilliant to me, no problems under the engine what so ever.

I'm biased towards the diesel but as someone points out above, check for service history. So long as there is a record of regular 10K changes on the TDI using PD 505.01 oil and the engine hasn't been thrashed when cold it should be good. I know someone with 209K on the clock and original turbo. It's starting to whine a lot but that's a lot of mileage! The trick seems to be all in letting e engine hit 90 before booting it and every now and then when the engine is warm, boot it hard to prevent the build up of carbon.

Back to,petrol, it's the 16V that's prone to head gasket failure so you're probably best with the 8V Petrol or the TDI

I have had both a 1.4 MPI and 1.4 16V.

Despite the extra power of the 16V, they have almost identical peak torque figures.I think theres a difference of about 5Nm. So off the line i dont think you can really tell the difference.

Other thing being an old skoda engine the 1.4 MPI 8V is amazingly cheap & simple to work on. For example a Timing Chain kit is only about £20 including gaskets, dirt cheap when compared the the 16V cambelts.

the 16V must also be ran on 98 Octane fuel but doesnt have that much better fuel economy. So realistically pence per miles you could be spending the same amount of money each month. The 16V also drinks oil.

1.4 MPI 8V FTW! :D

I've had an sdi for a few months now and I would recommend one of you can find one. I've had a strong of diesel cars and would recommend them for the economy but only if the maintenance is cheap, otherwise it's as false economy. In your case it might be best to go for the one in best condition. Check out the tax and insurance too.

the 1.2 worries me a little with a 15sec 0-60 - joining dual carriageways could be fun... although I'm not expecting supercar performance with any of these!

The 1.2 HTP engine can be a 6v or 12v, the 12v is quicker than the 1.4mpi engine and better on fuel, these engines are timing chain not belt.

some of the 1.4 16v suffered with piston ring issues. The 1.9 tdi is a good engine and 50 miles a day could favour the diesel at the right price. Cam belt and possible turbo changes on higher mileage need to be taken into account.

Thanks for all the great replies, I looked at the Fabia 1.4 today and took it for a drive and all seemed Ok - reasonably nippy. very slight blow from the exhaust everything else seemed fine (footwells dry!).

One thing puzzles me though, on the V5 the car is listed as a 16v model, the engine looks like this:

Screenshotfrom2013-03-16193129_zpsecbdb5bb.png

and the rear badge has the mpi sticker - I had thought all the MPIs were 8v (I realise the 16v are also multi point injection :) ) is this correct?

The 1.9 was under prep so seeing that next before I decide, anyone have a ball park figure I should be paying for both the 51 plate 1.9 elegance TDI and a 51 plate classic 1.4?

cheers

Edited by panther12

One thing puzzles me though, on the V5 the car is listed as a 16v model

Does the engine number match the engine number on the V5? It may have had an engine change at some point, or it may be an error on the V5......which is not unknown.

Have a read of this thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/268667-mpg-for-19-sdi-14-mpi/

There is some good advice there.

Edited by booke23

I guess it all depends on condition. I've seen 51/52 plate Elegance 1.9 TDI models go for up to £1700. I've just sold one for a bargain price IMO but I feel for a reasonably well cared 100-130K model £1100-£1300 is about right.

Thanks for all the great replies, I looked at the Fabia 1.4 today and took it for a drive and all seemed Ok - reasonably nippy. very slight blow from the exhaust everything else seemed fine (footwells dry!).

One thing puzzles me though, on the V5 the car is listed as a 16v model, the engine looks like this:

Screenshotfrom2013-03-16193129_zpsecbdb5bb.png

and the rear badge has the mpi sticker - I had thought all the MPIs were 8v (I realise the 16v are also multi point injection :) ) is this correct?

The photo is of the 1.4 mpi 8v, so the V5 is incorrect. The wife had the same engine in her Silverline, the car was reliable for the 4 1/2 years she owned it. The idle speed can be uneven on this engine, MPG was mid 30's overall. some engines suffered from overheating / head gasket issues.

Also Check the Clutch and gearchange, making sure you drive the car from startup cold to normal operating temp.

Having had my car from new (1.9 TDI),

It shudders and judders like a rabid dog. then once the car is at operating temp the second gear does not engage 70% of the time without scrunching or spitting back between 1st & 2nd.

52K Miler, but always had transmission troubles.

Be Careful, the Skoda dealers don't give a monkey's either (see above), they are over you like a rash when buying it, but don't want to know after.

(Mind you that covers about 99% of all Car Dealers!!)

Saying that my mate has a 143,000 mile, 55 plate three cylinder 1.4 TDI had 6 owners and pulls caravans and trailers with it, never services or washes it.........but never had a days trouble with it in 4 Years!!!!

I was the unlucky one.

Just my 2 cents, I have a Fabia 1.2 (which will be somewhat simular to the 1.4) - its great on the pocket (insurance wise) for a first car and gets some good MPG when driven sensably. For city driving its brill.

Motorway driving is fine and very fuel efficient if you're happy to sit in the first lane overtaking occasionally. Did a trip from Birmingham to Northampton making 'good time' and anything over 65-70 mph does make the wee car a fuel drinking demon.

Car is very reliable though, any issues are easy to sort as theres so much room in the engine bay! (Only thing I've had to sort is replace some hosing) Next year or the year after though I will probably move onto the TDi or something that has a bit more power.

Regarding joining carageways theres no issues, it's fine in that respect. Expecially if you dont mind giving a few revs if needed.

I can't comment on the others but I hope the post helps mate!

I have a 1.4 MPI and it has never missed a beat, its a great first car and ive not had anything go wrong with the engine but heres what i have about it atm.

I have a slight "murmer" from the engine on idle when it judders slightly but it isnt a misfire (as far as im aware) because the engine doesnt miss a beat when im driving, its got a nice power band and can pull a full car of people pretty well (requires a little but heavier foot at times but what car wouldnt). The tax is a little high at £195 as someone has already said with it not being the most CO2 efficient car. People have said to me its not the most efficient engines for MPG but ive had nothing to compaare it to, ive easily had around 45mpg before and on average get around 38mpg without trying.

This engine can play the 2k game which saves me a lot of fuel also. (before anyone asks the 2k game is where you change up a gear at 2000rpm and dont let the revs get higher therefore saving you fuel and giving you a smoother and more economical driving style)

Ive also been told that this engine is much more reliable with it being Overhead Valves rather than a cam, it doesnt have as much power as the 16v but thats nothing a little modding can change.

My first year with this car and engine was £3600 so pretty expensive but obviously the other 2 engines were even more than that. With a year driving and NCB coming up in april my premium is looking to go down to around £900 so a massive jump in prices.

All of my friends did the usual thing of cheap cars or crappy corsas and all of them have had massive problems with their first cars, (i have 4 friends with corsas, 3 of them have had to get an engine rebuild) and mines cost me some wipers, pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Any questions you wanna ask about mine in particuar feel free :)