Brake upgrade for CR140

qsracing

Dear All, its been a while since last posting and the miles have been mounting up, now past 82,000 miles....

Im looking to improve the brakes, both the initial bite and power of my 140 CR TDI 4x4. I've looked through older posts to upgrade the front brake setup using the 312mm disks from the CR170, and note from TP's technical guide that the CR170 has the 16" Brake calliper whilst the CR140 has the smaller 15" FN3.

Does this mean that I'd need to upgrade the calliper as well?

I'd really appreciate feedback also on brake pad material. Do the DS2500 pads produce brake noise and how effective are they when cold? Perhaps users consider the OEM pads along with ATE Super Blue brake fluid sufficient for road use?

Look forward to hearing back from you all.

I thought the calipers were the same on the 140 and 170? I just went from 288mm disks to the VRS 312mm ones on mine with a OE bracket spacer and DS2500 pads - equal (if not actually slightly better) performance from cold and night and day comparitively when they had warmth in them. Amazing when hot. Used with ATE Super Blue fluid they would be uncomparable to the standard setup. The only time I had mine making a noise was after pushing things (very hard) on a couple of Austrian passes - when I returned from that trip I had a squeel when applying at low speed. I repeated the bedding in process and the noise went.

I thought the calipers were the same on the 140 and 170? I just went from 288mm disks to the VRS 312mm ones on mine with a OE bracket spacer and DS2500 pads - equal (if not actually slightly better) performance from cold and night and day comparitively when they had warmth in them. Amazing when hot. Used with ATE Super Blue fluid they would be uncomparable to the standard setup. The only time I had mine making a noise was after pushing things (very hard) on a couple of Austrian passes - when I returned from that trip I had a squeel when applying at low speed. I repeated the bedding in process and the noise went.

Thanks for this YetiMan, Im only going from TP's post in the technical section and hope I've undersood correctly. Can you recall the pad number for the front DS2500, Ive been quoted FCP1641, but have a doubt that this is correct for the smaller calliper. If you have it easily to hand it would be good to confirm.

Thanks for this YetiMan, Im only going from TP's post in the technical section and hope I've undersood correctly. Can you recall the pad number for the front DS2500, Ive been quoted FCP1641, but have a doubt that this is correct for the smaller calliper. If you have it easily to hand it would be good to confirm.

Sorry, I upgraded as per my sig so I dont have the old part numbers any more but Im sure you dont need to worry about the caliper - its the same. The only difference is the bracket to make the reach longer for the slightly bigger disk.

Given that the pad contact area is the same whatever size disc you are using if you retain the original calipers, does the bigger disc make much discernible difference if you don't change the pad material? If not, then would just changing the pad material with the original discs give basically the same result?

• Like 1

My findings were that there was a smallish improvement when ive gone from 288mm to 312mm disks - I guess due to increasing the leverage on the disk from having the caliper further out from the centre. If you arent putting a load of heat through the disks then you can change the pad and its compound for improvement in feel and performance in 'normal' driving. If you are getting them properly hot you want an increase in disk size to help dissipate the heat and a pad compound that works better at higher temps. Thats when its also worth upgrading the fluid... :)

• Like 2

Given that the pad contact area is the same whatever size disc you are using if you retain the original calipers, does the bigger disc make much discernible difference if you don't change the pad material? If not, then would just changing the pad material with the original discs give basically the same result?

This does seem logical and partly why I made the original post; which was to clarify what you've just questioned. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

Sorry, I upgraded as per my sig so I dont have the old part numbers any more but Im sure you dont need to worry about the caliper - its the same. The only difference is the bracket to make the reach longer for the slightly bigger disk.

Thanks for this, what's your opinion on speedsport's post?

My Octavia had the pov spec tiny brakes which were completely inadequate crossing the Alps with a load, the brakes went away completely a couple of times. I had to stop to let them cool a few times and I was trying to be as gentle as possible after the first incident.

The OE brakes fitted were the non upgradeable type. I sourced a set of hubs, calipers, 312mm discs and pads from ebay. They had only done 108 miles before the car was written off. Cost delivered was £200.

The brakes were much improved using the original pagid pads which as you can imagine after 108 miles were barely marked, which I think is Speedsport's question. So the answer is - a massive difference.

The pagid pads have worked well, quiet, progressive and not much dust, even after 8 week holidays blatting round the hilly bits of France.

Next step is the NQSBBK!

Edited by nickguzzi

My findings were that there was a smallish improvement when ive gone from 288mm to 312mm disks - I guess due to increasing the leverage on the disk from having the caliper further out from the centre. If you arent putting a load of heat through the disks then you can change the pad and its compound for improvement in feel and performance in 'normal' driving. If you are getting them properly hot you want an increase in disk size to help dissipate the heat and a pad compound that works better at higher temps. Thats when its also worth upgrading the fluid... :)

Really helpful, thank-you. I'll be looking at simply upgrading the front setup with DS2500 and ATE Super Blue.

• Like 1