Engine geeks help possible siese?

defiantly a watter pump failure

That's why engine cut out it was out of time

And that's why I lost coolant also

Thanks for all your help

I'll let you know how I get on

Just hope my valves are ok

if you do the belt yourself there are guides on here on how to do it ....

not saying anything about your abilities bud so dont get me wrong here but ....

dealers such as d m keith are doing timing belts for £300 ( plus your water pump on top)

is it really worth the hassle? you get 2 years warranty on their work so if the belt snaps within 2 years and the service life of the belt then they will cover the repair costs of the damage ....

i know i wouldnt tackle the belt for the sake of £300 and would much rather save my holidays from work for the beer garden in the summer rather than snow concrete floor and timing belts ....

I do know what a earth strap is and for but was stugglIng to find it with everything in the engine bay

I've been trying to think of a way of politely saying this for at least 10 minutes. The best I can come up with is this:

Danger! J.Braderez! Danger! This is the point where you should get some skilled help. Get it wrong and it's going to get expensive quickly.

• Like 2

Yu'know when you put a new battery on, and you get that very small spark somtimes?

Thats enough to kill a cars ECU, So things like Earth's need to be done properly.

I'll move back on to helping you though since this is what its all about...

The timing belt shouldnt be to bad, if you manage to do a clutch and flywheel yourself (so be it, problimatic...) but the problems dont seem to be your fault... A timing belt should be a doddle! :drunk:

I may get some disagreeing with me here :bandit: But i've never done a timing belt on my car (previous pd 130 anyway) using the proper timing, Im happy to mark the timing up before removing the belt and checking they all match up again once the new belt is fitted, Making it a very simple job.

The hard bit for you now is going to be setting the timing up to the correct timing marks and getting it 100% as well as setting the pully to the correct tension, to tight it will snap in no time... to loose and it will jump teeth again. Just remember to turn the engne over at least twice by hand to check nothing catches. This is also a good time to feel if the engine has good compression or not.

The damage could already be done to the engine so its not worth paying a garage £300 to fit a timing belt to tell you its knackard anyway!

Best of luck! post back with how i goes and any other questions.

You'll need a locking kit to time it up properly. Like this http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1408 Only £20 or so and well worth it.

I'm not sure about just marking up the belt in the PD engine to change it.........without loosening the cam sprocket (after locking it) I can't see how you can properly tension the belt?

Iv got a can belt and watter pump

Genuine parts to go on ass was going to do this this weekend

Just wanted some advice of what experiences people might of had to find the cause before I could probley look at it

Defiantly watter pump failure major failure

I had all the tools to do it

I am confident in doin the work I have a fairly mechanical background in my family and personal experience

Use to work for westfeild sports cars briefly but they are simple car and hardest bit to do is aftermarket ecu

Just I am fairly new to these vw tdi lumps and just wanted some friendly pointers of what sort of direction to take and thanks for those that have tryed to help but some of the comments I find almost offence but I know all you can see here is what you read off this page and it might sound like I don't know a lot as I find It hard to put down stuff in paper as I'm dislexic but that's something else

I will keep the page updated with my findings this weekend to let you all know

Will also probley take a photo of watter pump or what's left of it

Also at the end of the day all be it a coinsanceadance that I happend after fitting my clutch the two items have nothing to do with each other so the failure is nothing to do with me fitting a clutch just a coinsanceadance

Was just kind of a ticking time bomb

Almost makes me question the ture history of my car although I have the book fully filled its easy to forge that

Edited by j.braderz
  • Like 1

Posted 18 March 2013 - 22:32

dominorising, on 18 March 2013 - 19:39, said:

Sort that out first and foremost before you try and start the poor car, although its very possible that yes you have already "siesed"or is that "ceased it", very possibly !

Or Seized perhaps??

Or Seized perhaps??

Thanks for that lol I know how to spell "seize" but the alternative spelling was offered as a pun in light of where I felt the thread was going ......

Indeed this particular car in question does sound like a lemon, just shows that old adage of "aint broke don't fix it" really come true, not taking offense at the OP as it isn't proven that the problems were ALL caused by his work -

I mean in the sense that when the car is first put together and is right then its at 100%....

you never know from ALL the work done thereafter by garages etc what impact it has on the cars reliability.

I never like taking a car to have work done for that reason - even at a dealer you aren't really sure what is going on

Dominorising

That's so you're I work next door to a main dealers now and there "feck" up do many cars from sillyings like other day the mechanic fitted a dog gauge in a brand new yeti and rupee the headliner

And I'm always hearing of them putting in wrong oil and "forgetting" to change the odd filter here and there

I also don't believe my car is a Lemon as I've had the car up on ramps and checked all over and done all servicing on it soon as I had but but was wating for time to do cam belt but had to do clutch because started to slip from my aggressive map so I did that first.

End of the day could happen to any car for many reasons such as funny batch of parts or not serviced correctly or not fitted correctly.

I have heard a lot of storys if people I know of pumps failing and starting to wear such as my managers r32 his water pump failed 15k after fitting but lucky his pumps on a aux belt

I had the map done I knew it was fairly close the the torque limit on the car but I struggled to drive it softly I was advised to not gun it at the lower revs

mechanical sympathy .....

if you constantly hammer the car then mechanical parts will fail prematurely, which only ends up damaging your bank balance. If you are more gentle with the car it will most probs last a life time