Columbus Install - No Maxidot: Coding Required

I think that I already know the answer to this, but I have just ordered a Columbus to go into my 2010 FL Octavia II. I don't have maxidot (yet - that'll be my next job once I can get a dealer to agree to install it), or MFSW, so can someone confirm that this should require no coding with VCDS/VAG and that, except the GPS receiver, the install is as easy as plugging the unit into the exact same connectors as the Bolero used?

I am assuming that, without coding, it will still do OPS on the screen?

Many thanks in advance for your patience with newbie questions.

The car will / should need coding as the 'Navigation' (47?) needs to be added to the module list on the CAN gateway (19).

Plugging it in us a straight swap but the Bolero might have a different shape and the Columbus may need a new fascia.

OPS should still work, but I've not done this swap on a car as new as yours to be certain.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get away without coding, but I guess I'll have to see if there is a friendly Briskodian near me who would code it in return for beer (or remuneration of choice). The unit arrives on Friday, so I'll plug it in at the weekend and see what happens. I have a new fascia arriving on Friday at my local dealer (£56!!!! For a bit of plastic!!)

Won't need coding. It will just work straight off

Its always best to code but it does work. I paid 34 for my fascia.

• Like 1

Thanks jrw! Does the OPS and climate work straight off the bat on the Columbus? My car is only 10 days older than yours, so if it all workd in yours then it should in mine.

Thanks jrw! Does the OPS and climate work straight off the bat on the Columbus? My car is only 10 days older than yours, so if it all workd in yours then it should in mine.

Mine worked plug and play when I swapped, I have maxidot but until the coding was done (thanks to magic62) it worked fine without it until activated, climatic controls etc all came up. I didn't need any additional connectors just plugged it in and a ebay GPS antenna and sorted. Obviously fascia changed €86 it cost here!!! So think yourselves all lucky.

Yes that all worked straight off. It was about 3 months before i got it coded.

Thanks all! You have been so very helpful. The Columbus arrives today so now it's just a matter of deciding whether I can wait until the weekend to fit it!!

Paul... You are a gentleman! I phoned Sparshatts and they wanted £48 to code it... I'm going to have to pay the £25 they want to get the Bolero code for me, so it would be good not to have to pay them more than absolutely necessary. If you don't mind I'll PM you when I get the Columbus in (still waiting for it to be delivered. Tracking says it left the depot at 05:47 this morning!)

Local garage helped me out ( for cash ) 20 quid, fitting and coding. Just look for a small local with the kit and ask very nicely-worked for me. Slung him an extra tenner for a drink just incase I need further help.