"How Fast" at Bedford, Sat 1st June 2013 !

Gals and Guys,

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/261259-how-fast-are-briskoda-3-1st-june/page__st__180#entry3188697

Please have a look and participate as this one is really good comparing amount of track time, type of track, event type and number of people on track to any other events.

Bring your chariots to test your mettle!

It is, just trying to publicise it more widely :)

EDIT:

If you thin kthis is not appropriate mods can delete this thread, no problem :). I did it as we seems to be struggling getting the numbers a not everybody is a forum rat expolring its nooks and crannies each day.

Edited by Jabozuma

Id recommend anyone against taking their fabia's on track anyway. The steering rack is made of chocolate as ive just found out. £750+VAT for parts alone!!

To be fair, Sy, how many times did you rag your Fabia around a track before it gave up the ghost ?

Quite a few at a guess :)

• Like 1

Nowt wrong with the Fabia on track, mine did a day around Oulton Park and is going to CC and Bedford.

However you can elaborate on what actually failed and why if you would please.

Probably the fact that the chassis isn't capable of dealing with as much grief that sy's gives it.

IMHO sy's is max'd out - I'm impressed its all lasted this long :) kudos points to sy!

Id recommend anyone against taking their fabia's on track anyway. The steering rack is made of chocolate as ive just found out. £750+VAT for parts alone!!

I'm not sure that's representative of the average trackday driver in the average mkII VRS.

9 trackdays in 2 years. only 3 of them with modified suspension and 4 of those trackdays being in the rain. Less than 16k mileage most of which is motorway and driven like miss daisy when not on track. Hardly a hard life.

The steering rack began to knock when turning keft finally hefore snapping internally. Dealerships appear aware of the issue on many fabias not just the vRS. Ive been waiting weeks for the part to be available from back order.

As for stick that i give it, im very gentle and progressive on track. smooth is fast, aggressive equals slow You can seein my videos thatits not ragged around track.

This is why im getting rid. If it cant handle 9 trackdays of which 3/4 have been on stock suspensiion. Thatsonly 4 trackdays ayear average. Hardly abuse.

Had i been in the UK much over the last 2 yearsit would have done twice the amount of tracktime!! My previous cars have never batted an eyelid and have all been modified more than this.

If ir's made of chocolate at least it's sweet;). Having followed your build thread Sy there are few things that come to mind.

1. The car spent most of its life with different tuners as a dev machine. As much as you trust them you cannot be 100% sure what the car went through while you were out of the country

2. Your tracking data was rather "out of ordinary"

3. Your brakes were not set up correctly

4. There was a lot of torque steer you were complaining about.

5. Big standard steering rack had to cope with all of the above.

7. While suspension was upgraded it was banged about a fair bit etc

All of that might have been instrumental in your steering rack failure

None of the above had anything to do with the steering rack giving up a ghost as it was simply a faulty item from the factory and would have failed even if the car was stock at say 45 miles.

As we know this and other similar foras are frequented by people with problems. I've never read anywhere do far not anybody here mentioned steering rack failure in the time I was here.

Perhaps your particular steering rack was indeed made of the sweet stuff but it hardly means all if them are given available evidence:).

I can understand the way you feel about your vRS having invested so much of your time, heart and money in this project only to be rewarded with a powerful setup not able to realise its true potential due to a plethora of problems plaguing it. In my opinion it is a great shame that this project of yours ended up as I was hoping to at least see you tearing the tarmac up in your white machine at least once before its untimely demise... I guess I will have to wait for your next project :)

Octy III vRS? ;)

C'mon Fabia owners! nobody wants to go to Bedford for a bargain priced track session???

If you compare it to Castle Combe outing (not bashing it here BTW) you comparably get the same amout of track time for £13 as well as it lasting 6 times longer PLUS you get much fewer people and ON TOP OF THAT you get two timed laps at the end of it all - I think it is well worth it!

Track day would be somewhat boring in my 1.2tsi. :(

Far too much body roll on these as standard too so not like it would be good in the bends either, standard brakes would not stand up well to a track day either to be honest. :/

Just not the right car for track days IMO, without alot of mods anyway.

Obviously different story all together if you got a VRS.

Edited by John Eva

It isn't about the power of the car, it is how your carry speed through the corners, you have to be smooth, last year BossFox won this event in a Yeti as the track was damp and he drove it well.

My mate races a car with only 82 bhp from a 1.0 litre engine.

Granted it is a screamer and used belong to Derek Bell but all the same it is a small engine car and driver makes the difference.

Lotus 41

8566610684_85d6bcf2aa_b.jpg

It isn't about the power of the car, it is how your carry speed through the corners, you have to be smooth, last year BossFox won this event in a Yeti as the track was damp and he drove it well.

My mate races a car with only 82 bhp from a 1.0 litre engine.

Granted it is a screamer and used belong to Derek Bell but all the same it is a small engine car and driver makes the difference.

Although I agree to an extent thats not entirly true is it.

If the car is pretty naf round the bend which a stock Fabia is and the car only has 86bhp it not exactly a setup to get your adrenaline going, sitting there thinking OMG how long is this straight will it ever end is not really the point of a track day.

The car you used as an example is an ex F3 car it has near enough the same power, delivered in most likely a better way for track use, then its also alot lighter and lower with better suspension setup, better tyres, better brake setup, so not really comparable.

Would you really enjoy driving something on the track you know wont be any good on the straights, wont be any good on the brakes and wont be any good round the bends?

Edited by John Eva

John, if you do want to go, I will be happy for you to be a passenger, my car is only a standard MK II and has a lot less BHP than some of the tuned types who are going.

The Lotus isn't a good comparison, sorry.

• 1 month later...