Dropped door

Hi All,

A couple of days ago I started having an issue where the drivers doors was making an odd "clunking" noise when opening and closing. While cleaning my car yesterday i discovered the bottom right hand corner of the door was making contact with the bodywork of the car when opening or closing the door. I have also found that one of the main bolts holding the door is completely loose. It looks like the only way to tighten this bolt back up is either by hand or by taking the front wing off to get access.

Obviously this is a warranty claim as the paintwork on the corner of the door and the bodywork is now damaged. Has anyone else had, or has heard of, doors not being fitted correctly ??

New to me. It's a shame you didn't spot the cause before it damaged the paint but like you say it should be covered by the warranty.

The bolts should be accessible...

octavia-mk2-766.png

Edited by silver1011

Yeah very odd - had this on my A4 but that was a 2003 model and it was a common issue as the door was too heavy (so similar but not the same). Good luck at the dealers :) Let us know how you get on.

Had to get someone else to drive my car to the dealers as it turns out there is a clause in the warranty that states:

"Mechanical adjustments after 6 months or 6500 miles are also excluded from warranty cover such as: Door adjustments etc etc"

As my car was about 3 days away from the end of this exclusion the garage would not accept a warranty claim without them actually inspecting the car. They have taken photos of the damage so they can send the info to Skoda Uk for the claim. Hopefully i can get the car booked in to have the work carried out asap.

Ive got loads of play on my drivers door hinges...enough to rock the door - luckily only in the upwards position.

I think the fact that the dealers sell the hinges for £8 each says that they are a common part.

Bolts coming loose sounds like a factory issue, some of the car manufacturers ive worked for have suffered from production issues like this so its not uncommon.

As you said paint and replacement under warranty.

Update to this saga:

After having had to get my 75 yr old father to take my car down to the dealer (i was in work by the way) for them to inspect the damage i received a phone call from them, an hour or so later, saying that their bodyshop was no longer approved by Skoda UK and that they could no longer help me. They said i would have to take the car to any other dealer that had an approved bodyshop!!!

Why they couldn't have told me that before, when they knew the reason for bringing the car to them in the first place, God only knows.

Anyway, i was straight on the phone to Skoda UK who have now arranged for me to take my car into another dealer for them to inspect and hopefully carry out the warranty work.

Updates to follow.