1.8t conversion or similar on a fun ?

If you cant do the swap yourself its going to cost a bomb to get someone do it for you, talking many thousands!

Might be better looking at the 1.4/1.616v conversion thread in the technical guides.

Its the 1.4 16v engine from a polo, 100bhp. If you read the thread you will see how you can make it 1.6 16v giving you about 125bhp standard.

As your car is already a 1.6 8v you will have the majority of parts you need, this would be a fairly straight forward swap and would make your pick up jolly fast!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/107541-felicia-1-4-16v-engine-transplant/

As its only 75bhp it would cost a decent sum of money to get close to 125bhp, so would be cheaper to just stick the 1.6 16v then you have 125bhp which you could tune, bike carbs or something would get you around 150bhp i reckon.

Plus i think you could do the conversion for less than 500quid

Edited by nu99et18

Well the 1.4 16v will be a easy swap and abit cheaper as you need less parts could be done for under 300quid i bet.To make it 1.6 16v will cost a little more as you need more parts and would make the swap a little harder as there are a few issues to overcome but still fairly straight forward

Yeah the 1.6 16v is a hybrid engine made from using 1.6 16v block with the 1.4 16v head so you would need to buy two engines hence why it costs abit more

There's more than one way to turn a 1.4 engine into a 1.6 on those engines, it just boils down to what's available at the time, it might work out better to put the 1.6 16v crank pistons and rods into the 1.4 block, it's easily done but requires a bit of skill.

as for 1.8t conversions, don't bother it's not worth the ball ache

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/209180-felicia-18t-transplant-thread/

The Felicia 1.9D can be converted using parts from a couple of the comtemporary VAG diesel engines, however the AAZ block is almost the same as the Felicia's AEF, the fundamental differences being the diesel pump and of course the turbo parts, which are difficult to make fit into the Felicia's engine bay.

Also, the AAZ engines seem to be like Hens teeth and there are a lot of people with VW campers eager to snatch em up.

As above, I would stick with your 1.6. I plan at some point or other to put an AFH head (16v) onto my block and am doing some research at the minute. Also, a bit of nice weather wouldn't go amiss!

JJ

Edited by Jonesy92

It's one way of doing it, but it doesn't seem to be a case of bolting the new head straight on because of timing belt issues, and it looks as though you might have to source a custom timing belt. Also, I'm not yet sure if the pistons/conrods will need to be altered due to valve interference.

I'll keep looking into it and let you know of any revelations.

Would forget about fitting a diesel engine considering its petrol at the moment be alot of hassle.

You cant use the 1.6 aee block with afh head it has to be 1.6 avy block then you can use the 1.4 afh cambelt. Or as Tom said swap the 1.6 avy internals into afh block.

It's one way of doing it, but it doesn't seem to be a case of bolting the new head straight on because of timing belt issues, and it looks as though you might have to source a custom timing belt. Also, I'm not yet sure if the pistons/conrods will need to be altered due to valve interference.

I'll keep looking into it and let you know of any revelations.

I stand corrected but it just goes to show that a little bit of reading goes a long way and anyway - that would just be too easy :giggle:

Just wondering what you'd expect to pay for an AFH 1.4?. There's a geezer on ebay asking £500 for a 76K miles example. The car its from looks really kosher but even so surely the whole car's scrap value is less than £200?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-POLO-1-4-16v-100BHP-AFH-Engine-complete-GENUINE-76K-mk4-6n-GTI-breaking-parts-/121086648593?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c3153a111

Edited by juan27

a monkey is a bit steep for one of those i reckon, i wouldnt pay more than about £250 for a complete engine, even less if there's bits missing...

i've been thinking about this thread again, it's possible to put virtually any engine you want into a felicia/pickup it all depends on how skilled you are and how much money you can chuck at it, i reckon the 2.0 golf abf engine would be a good choice but there are also other good choices from other manufacturers, the whole vag thing doesnt hold much water in regards to these cars because they are unique in the vag range and have little or nothing in common with other cars in the vag group, so any 'large' engine transplant you do on these is going to be fraught with dificulties because nothing is natively compatible with the felicia except for the engines they came with from the factory, so it would be just as much work to put a 2.0 golf engine in as it would be to put a 2.0 alfa romeo engine in.. the only reason i would choose a vag engine over any other is because i know them quite well as i've worked with them for years and i know which bits can be bodged together from other models to get it working... what i would say is get an engine that is cheap and plentiful like a ford zetec or a gm ecotec (found in huge supply in every breakers yard in the world) because if it blows up you can get spares a la cheap.

relatively speaking the felciia/pickup has a massive engine bay for the size of the car, the 1.8T engines are quite a tight fit front to back but by a quirk of good fortune the chassis rails are the same distance apart as a mk4 golf so with a bit of chopping and welding the mk4 golf engine mounts can be made to fit fairly easily, the other option for a vag 2.0 abf transplant may be to weld the mk3 golf rear engine mountings to the felicia subframe and weld the front engine mounting to the front cross member, the front member itself is a structural weak point of the car in my opinion so it would need reinforcing, when i did my 1.8T i also seam welded the entire engine bay and front suspension turrets etc..

before anybody asks, no, i'm not in the business of taking on another project like this at the current time, also factor in how long it will take too, mine has been off the road for over a year and a half now, admittedly i've not been working on it constantly but it is still quite a time consuming task, lots of trial and error (mainly error in my case) and lots of expensive mistakes and buying of parts which never got used, many a saturday spent in breakers yards for hours on end to retrieve a 50p part that you can no longer buy from skoda..

word out for now..

here's a pic for inspiration

2bde890715e3fbd44c72b1c1c8dae27e.jpg

• Like 1