Blacksmoke Remap

You cannot use that cable, you need to use either an MPPS or GALLETTO cable, both methods identified on the Blacksmoke web site. It appears that the MPPS lead is "more failsafe" as it has an error recovery mode, but ensure that you are compotent/happy to carry out the remap. Not wanting to be patronising, just be aware that you "could" have problems. Andrew who supplies the maps is extremelly helpfull, and appears to be a member on may sites (Briskoda, uk-mkivs etc). The video at the bottom of the MPPS page shows what could happen just through opening a door while remapping - this is probably extremelly rare and not meant to scare, just for information.

http://www.blacksmok...PS(2740612).htm

http://www.blacksmok...to(2557781).htm

Edited by KeithCheetham

You cannot use that cable, you need to use either an MPPS or GALLETTO cable, both methods identified on the Blacksmoke web site. It appears that the MPPS lead is "more failsafe" as it has an error recovery mode, but ensure that you are compotent/happy to carry out the remap. Not wanting to be patronising, just be aware that you "could" have problems. Andrew who supplies the maps is extremelly helpfull, and appears to be a member on may sites (briskoda, Mk5 etc)

http://www.blacksmok...PS(2740612).htm

http://www.blacksmok...to(2557781).htm

Excellent, thanks very much. You're not patronising at all, i can see why you said it mate. I am quite confident and competent, what i couldn't understand is the difference between the MPPS and KKL and why i couldn't use a KKL cable. I like to know what im buying and why i 'need' to use it.

The KKL is an OBD diagnostic (VCDS/VAGCOM/Ross Tech) type cable, the MPPS and GALLETTO are ripped off copies of some very expensive ECU re-programming leads.

Edited for accuracy.

It's a real shame that people's hard work gets copied and devalued on eBay. We're talking about real people here, not big corporations.

Unfortunately as a company we are expected to compete with people using these ripped off tools and maps that come from who-knows-where probably written with cracked versions of editing software resulting in who-knows-what quality.

Being legitimate by having legit software, tools and proper R&D facilities makes us "expensive" in comparison. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

• Like 1

For some info here.

I recently arranged a blacksmoke map for someone who desperately wanted one, and couldnt wait, so i installed it for them.

Once installed i decided to take extensive logs with vag com and study the map itself. My findings were alarming to say the least - its was a pd 105 lump.

The boost logs were astonishingly awful!!!!! The spikes were huge and well outwith the safety range of the turbo, and dropped off before it should have at about 4k revs!!!! I would doubt that the life expectancy for that car is very long, particularly the turbo.

I then proceeded to examine the map itself with a friend of mine who does custom mapping and the problems were apparent with the expressions on his face.

Fuelling had been whacked up randomly with no balancing of injectors or quantities, and the boost shoved up a bit too, total lack of thought!

The VNT is a wild turbo to control and keeps spikes away from, so i would steer clear of black smoke and have it done properly.

After seeing this we set about custom mapping my car and the boost control plus 5 sets of logs and a few updates, and the boost logs now are almost spot on, the ecu requests pretty much match the output, we also increased the boost a smidge further up so i didnt have too much low down, but also had very smooth pull right up to red line, this will help save my clutch and flywheel.

Be careful, you may break something with a cheap and cheerful map, spend that bit extra, and save yourself the cost of a turbo and a flywheel

Edited by Lofty79

• 1 month later...