Rear caliper springs

Just one thing Ben90, if your Polo has brake wear sensors, I found that it was wiser to move the grommet with the sensor wire through it and cable tie it out of the way - maybe even to the spring on the O/S calliper (forgotten)!

Edited by rum4mo

Would I see any difference just fitting these by itself without removing caliper/cleaning them up?

I didn't clean the caliper up or anything just fitted them and the difference is night and day.

Might have to get involved then. Are the ones you used the same part numbers as what Ben90 posted? Ie: 7H0 615 295 A & 7H0 615 296

Also is it a stocked part? Or does it need to be ordered in?

Just one thing Ben90, if your Polo has brake wear sensors, I found that it was wiser to move the grommet with the sensor wire through it and cable tie it out of the way - maybe even to the spring on the O/S calliper (forgotten)!

The rear brakes have wear sensors? That's news to me, I thought they were only fitted to the front nearside! Mine might have rears, could you tell from the photo? I see two additional cables coming out, one for the braking and might that other one be the wear wire? Photo is taken from the passenger side btw.

Might have to get involved then. Are the ones you used the same part numbers as what Ben90 posted? Ie: 7H0 615 295 A & 7H0 615 296

Also is it a stocked part? Or does it need to be ordered in?

At the dealer I went to they didn't keep them in stock. I'd call in beforehand with the part numbers to save yourself a trip, if you're lucky they might post them, they've stopped doing it my end, too many losses.

Those part numbers are correct but double check with the parts guy that they're both coil shaped springs and one isn't a flat pad spring as the part numbers seem to change. You'll notice something's wrong when he says one spring costs £2.50 and the other costs £12 :giggle:

• 1 month later...

Went to fit my caliper return springs today but it seems mine differ from the pic posted on the first page.

null-6.jpg

It's got that rubber/bush on mine? does that mean it won't fit on?

Does anyone else's have the round rubber bush?

Mine does not, though it is just a Polo 1.4SE and VW probably did not offered that retro-fit kit, though to be fair the Polo only ever got its first service at the dealer about 10 years ago.

That lump, I believe is an "anti mooing" mod, makes the rear brake a bit quieter.

Edited by rum4mo

I've recently swapped mu drums for discs and then noticed some unpelasant squealing sound coming off my rear axle. Upon inspection I discovered that the pads did not retract properly as the handbrake did not return to its neutral position and I thought of fitting the springs to remedy the situation. I've spent good two hours trying to squeeze the spring into the holes in the rear caliper bracket, but to no avail - I couldn't fit them firmly enough! I folowed the plastic band idea and I used a wire string, but still they don't seem to have set in securely enough :-(

Yeah I have had the rubber bushes fitted until recently. They are designed to absorb the vibrations (aka the mooing) you can get through the rear beam with 256mm rear brakes fitted. They are the not totally effective and at nearly £100 for a pair not worth it IMO. I am about to modify mine to accept the helper spring also, I'm hoping this will be effective at eliminating the mooing noise and keeping the handbrake from sticking.

How will you go about modifying? Totally removing them? will there still be a 'hole' for one side of the return spring behind that bush?

I was so looking forward to fitting them as well :(

• 1 month later...