Autocar full road test

I don't know whether Autocar do videos of their road tests.

The Autocar Verdict: 4/5. Big on space, value and quality; lacking something in dynamic appeal.

Probably about what we would have expected.

Unfortunately (for some), they tested a 1.6TDi not a 2.0TDi. They seem to be a bit confused about some of the features (notably the "ticket holder that looks like a handy place to put your 'phone".

Sum up :-

We like : exceptional practicality, easy going refinement, Strong on value for money

We don't like : Ordinary performance and economy, humdrum handling, anonymous styling.

Didn't really rate the 1.6 diesel, slow, not particularly economical and badly needs 6 speed box.

"The lethargic acceleration means you have to be a bit frisky with the throttle to make serious progress, and that has an impact on fuel economy. We recorded a healthy 55.9mpg on our touring route. That's fine but it's less than 2mpg better than was recorded in identical conditions in a 2.0 TDI Golf earlier this year. The Octavia's overall return of 45.8mpg is similarly decent but hardly outstanding".

"There are things Skoda drivers want and there are things they don't want. And one of the things they don't want by all accounts, is a handling package honed at the Nurburgring and a teeth jarring ride as a result. Instead they want a car that steers with ease, rides with aplomb and leaves you feeling rested having driven it. True to form that's what they've got here".

"Spec advice : Go easy on the options. An S doesn't lose out much to an SE, and if you can live with the higher tax band a 2.0 TDI costs the same as a few extras. Winter pack, spare wheel and heated seats would be on our list"

Autocar's verdict 4 stars.

"Big on space, value and quality; lacking something in dynamic appeal"

"You can ignore the talk about repositioning; the Octavia remains the same value-added hatch we know and rate. It's a bigger one, yes, but if Skoda was serious about turning this car into a Passat rival, it wouldn't have made it cheaper than an equivalent Golf.

Nonetheless less, the car's practicality is outstanding, while material quality and equipment are as good as anything at the price. Those looking for a comfortable, robust, well appointed family transport could do no better, and ultimately that's what earns this car it's fourth road test star.

But those who prefer hatchbacks with a bit of an edge might not be wholly satisfied with this Skoda. Performance that is only adequate, dynamics that do little to engage and styling that's inoffensive but bland aren't quite what we expect from a mature European car maker. Having mastered the art of the functional, that's exactly what Skoda must aspire to be"

Autocar's Road Test Top 5

1 : Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI SE 5 dr

2 : Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec

3 : Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI SE

4 : Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC ES

5 : Hyundai i30 CRDi Blue Drive Style

Edited by Timoctav

Sounds as though their verdict on the Mk 3 could perhaps have applied to Mk 2! As RapidRonnie says, hopefully vRS should address the missing star; pretty much as current one did?

Sarge.

Sounds as though their verdict on the Mk 3 could perhaps have applied to Mk 2! As RapidRonnie says, hopefully vRS should address the missing star; pretty much as current one did?

Sarge.

Yes, but the million dollar question....at what price?

Sum up :-

We like : exceptional practicality, easy going refinement, Strong on value for money

We don't like : Ordinary performance and economy, humdrum handling, anonymous styling.

Didn't really rate the 1.6 diesel, slow, not particularly economical and badly needs 6 speed box.

"The lethargic acceleration means you have to be a bit frisky with the throttle to make serious progress, and that has an impact on fuel economy. We recorded a healthy 55.9mpg on our touring route. That's fine but it's less than 2mpg better than was recorded in identical conditions in a 2.0 TDI Golf earlier this year. The Octavia's overall return of 45.8mpg is similarly decent but hardly outstanding".

"There are things Skoda drivers want and there are things they don't want. And one of the things they don't want by all accounts, is a handling package honed at the Nurburgring and a teeth jarring ride as a result. Instead they want a car that steers with ease, rides with aplomb and leaves you feeling rested having driven it. True to form that's what they've got here".

"Spec advice : Go easy on the options. An S doesn't lose out much to an SE, and if you can live with the higher tax band a 2.0 TDI costs the same as a few extras. Winter pack, spare wheel and heated seats would be on our list"

Autocar's verdict 4 stars.

"Big on space, value and quality; lacking something in dynamic appeal"

"You can ignore the talk about repositioning; the Octavia remains the same value-added hatch we know and rate. It's a bigger one, yes, but if Skoda was serious about turning this car into a Passat rival, it wouldn't have made it cheaper than an equivalent Golf.

Nonetheless less, the car's practicality is outstanding, while material quality and equipment are as good as anything at the price. Those looking for a comfortable, robust, well appointed family transport could do no better, and ultimately that's what earns this car it's fourth road test star.

But those who prefer hatchbacks with a bit of an edge might not be wholly satisfied with this Skoda. Performance that is only adequate, dynamics that do little to engage and styling that's inoffensive but bland aren't quite what we expect from a mature European car maker. Having mastered the art of the functional, that's exactly what Skoda must aspire to be"

Autocar's Road Test Top 5

1 : Volkswagen Golf 1.6 TDI SE 5 dr

2 : Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec

3 : Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI SE

4 : Honda Civic 1.6 i-DTEC ES

5 : Hyundai i30 CRDi Blue Drive Style

Was this a review of only diesel engine cars? Just wondering as the top 5 cars are ALL diesel cars!

@ Darkalien : Autocar's road test was based on one specific model, the 1.6 TDI SE, it was not a review of the entire range, so the top five choice is based on that model's perceived rivals.

Edited by Timoctav

I've read the Autocar Road Test & I'd agree with them, I certainly wouldn't want to buy that particular version.

We drove a 1.6 diesel Elegance last week & although impressed with the more spacious feel to the car, the engine & gearbox combination

would never be our choice.

We thanked the dealer for their courtesy & said that we were likely to be in the market for a vRS estate later this year or early in 2014.

It might be difficult to find a new vRS as a demonstrater though, I'm told that not many dealers would want to put one on to their demo fleet.

DC

Was this a review of only diesel engine cars? Just wondering as the top 5 cars are ALL diesel cars!

Because diesel is the way forward in fairness,in Ireland most skodas and other cars are all diesel, more practical,more economical and hold there price better too.

A few people on this site seem to put down all lower models,and say wait for the vrs,or the vrs will fix this issue,are we saying lesser models aren't any good?

I think on here as other forums I have been involved in are "car people"

The vast majority of skoda buyers are not on forums,they see a value and reliability in the product,autocar and all other mags have a difficult job of appealing to "car people" and also speaking to,informing "non car people" about good and bad cars.

As far as beating golfs or passat or not, that ends up totally a personal choice also costs! if the octi blew the golf out of the water then surely skoda would want to charge a premium ???????

We have ordered the octi combi 2tdi dsg ,because of overall value compared to the golf estate,ok not released yet but on value and test drives of hatches we feel skoda was a better product,

Many will never do this as skoda or VW badge snobbery gets in the way!

• Like 1

A few people on this site seem to put down all lower models,and say wait for the vrs,or the vrs will fix this issue,are we saying lesser models aren't any good?

I think on here as other forums I have been involved in are "car people"

The vast majority of skoda buyers are not on forums,they see a value and reliability in the product,autocar and all other mags have a difficult job of appealing to "car people" and also speaking to,informing "non car people" about good and bad cars.

As far as beating golfs or passat or not, that ends up totally a personal choice also costs! if the octi blew the golf out of the water then surely skoda would want to charge a premium ???????

We have ordered the octi combi 2tdi dsg ,because of overall value compared to the golf estate,ok not released yet but on value and test drives of hatches we feel skoda was a better product,

Many will never do this as skoda or VW badge snobbery gets in the way!

Lesser models?

The vRS is unlikely to be the most expensive / loaded Octy 3, but it might well be the "nicest" to own / drive for the minority of drivers who want to enjoy their expensive purchase.

From my admittedly limited experience, I know that I don't want an Octy 3 with a 5-speed manual / low-powered diesel engine in our next car, if only 'cos it will replace a V6 Mondeo estate which always was, ( & still is ) a hoot to drive.

The new Octy ticked many boxes for us re. interior space, easy to park, nice toys, etc. but it wasn't "fun" to drive.

Give it a a estate car body, 2.0 TSi, better suspension & a DSG tranny & I'm sure that it will cover 90 / 95% of our requirements, ( & I'll rent a van if I need a bigger load-lugger ) but we won't purchase one if I / we don't enjoy the drive!

We know that we don't really fit the "Briskoda Profile", at all, ( retired & in our 60's ) but we both very much enjoy driving still, & am aware that at our ages, we may not have that pleasure for too many more years...........

So for us, given that all our driving is for lesure / pleasure purposes, with lowish annual mileages, we are quite happy to be running a Superb & an Octy vRS, both 2.0 litre TSi's, pleased with their overall running costs & look forward to owning a new vRS Octy, if we like it.....

If we don't then we'll continue to pay the silly road tax for the Ford, use it when ever we need a big estate car & enjoy driving a naturally aspirated V6 winding out to red-line, whenever we feel like shedding a year or two! .

To conclude, (at last....) I'm sure that the new Octavia will sell well in it's target markets & perhaps capture sales from other brands as well, but there will always be a few of us out there that want something a liitle bit different / special & ithe vRS might well fill that demand.

• Like 2