replacement engine

The timing belt snapped on my 07 Octavia Elegance. Its the 2.0 TDI 140 with a DSG 'box. The car has only done 62,000 miles, I queried the timing belt when I bought the car in 2011 and was told, by main dealer, that it didn't need doing.

The dealer has now had the car for a week and have today, finally, taken the cylinder head off and diagnosed shattered exhaust valves meaning a new engine.

I have 2 questions:

1 anyone know how this will affect resale value?

2 how do I guarantee that the replacement engine is up to scratch?

The car has only been serviced by Skoda dealers so hopefully they are paying for it.

Sorry for your loss, but its stories like this that I change my belts on age as well as mileage regardless of what some people say.

The replacement engine will need to be logged with the DVLA, so not sure how visible that will be.

I'd imagine there will be bits of valves all through other components, including the turbo, so unless they are changed too, you may have other problems down the line.

Well bang goes the theory of one contributor on here about the life of cam belts, always change mine as per schedule

Hope the dealer who told you it didnt need changing is picking up the tab

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Edited by Its me

The timing belt snapped on my 07 Octavia Elegance. Its the 2.0 TDI 140 with a DSG 'box. The car has only done 62,000 miles, I queried the timing belt when I bought the car in 2011 and was told, by main dealer, that it didn't need doing.

The dealer has now had the car for a week and have today, finally, taken the cylinder head off and diagnosed shattered exhaust valves meaning a new engine.

I have 2 questions:

1 anyone know how this will affect resale value?

2 how do I guarantee that the replacement engine is up to scratch?

The car has only been serviced by Skoda dealers so hopefully they are paying for it.

Skoda UK recommend timing belt change at 4yrs or some mileage (80k?), so unless it had been changed early (eg because they had it stripped down for another job so may as well change it while we are in there) it was ready for a change. Though I am just looking at the years - if, for example, it is a December 2007 car and you bought it in Jan 2011 it was only just over 3yrs old and wasn't ready for a change at that point. Have they not advised a change in the intervening 2yrs since you bought it?

I think it's about 120,000 miles on that engine. I did read whatever it was in my service book and thought sod that. It's definitely not over the mileage for a change, though. The dealer has some explaining to do.

He was squirming on the phone earlier. They are replacing the Roomster I've had all week with an Octavia tomorrow morning. They have also promised a "solution" tomorrow.

Edited by ttw

Registered June 2007, bought July 2011. I asked the dealer directly whether it should be replaced at 4 years and was told no.

I have 2 invoices for routine services by DM Keith (Bradford) on my Octavia - one from July 2011 and one from July 2012. Printed on the bottom of each one is a notice to the effect that "Skoda recommend the changing of cam belts every 4yrs". OK, mine is a 1.8TSi with a chain but it is just a default template.

If you need copies to shove in his face then let me know

When I had a 1.9TDi I was strongly advised to change the cam belt at 4yrs and also suggested that I replace the water pump at the same time. Cost just over £300 as I remember.

When I had a 1.9TDi I was strongly advised to change the cam belt at 4yrs and also suggested that I replace the water pump at the same time. Cost just over £300 as I remember.

Regardless of how long the belt may last, the plastic water pump is another matter entirely and is a reason to change regularly.

Regardless of how long the belt may last, the plastic water pump is another matter entirely and is a reason to change regularly.

My point was to highlight the strong advice on the cambelt vs the suggestion for the water pump. Based on a minimal add-on cost (30 odd pounds?) and the comments on this forum it was a no-brainer to change the pump.

There has been confusion about the belt change interval. From memory the manual specifed a mileage (80k?) for change with no time limit. Skoda UK then changed the advice to 4yrs or 80k mles (or whatever). Based on comments here on Briskoda, in other European countries I think they still have just the 120k km change irrespective of age.

From my point of view £300 was a good insurance policy against a new engine and also gave peace of mind.

I too had a cambelt snap. "Lucky" must be my middle name. It was an 7yr old Fiat Punto 1100 and was in the local garage for MOT, Service and cambelt change. The cambelt snapped when they started it up to do the MOT emissions! Lucky? The Punto 1100 is non-interference so no mangled valves and pistons - it just stopped!!

I had a Mk1 Octavia - 2003 reg - dropped a valve in the first year - VAG authorised complete new engine, turbo - the works. No quibble - sorted in under a week.

The OP should have had the cambelt replaced when the car was purchased in 2011 as it was already 4 years old at that point. The PD140 engine has always been 4 years or 80K miles, whichever occurs first.

Hopefully the OP will not have to contribute anything. The dealer advised that the change was not required, so it is in essence their fault as a result of this wrong advice.

1) The value of the car will be unaffected, since the replacement engine will have the same engine number as the current one. New engines are delivered with no engine number stamped on the block, and the dealer will stamp with the existing number. The current engine block is then scrapped / recycled after having the number removed.

2) The replacement engine will have a guarentee, and be fully tested before it shipped, it should be as good as when the car originally left the factory. The ancillaries from the existing engine will be bolted onto the new block.

1) The value of the car will be unaffected, since the replacement engine will have the same engine number as the current one. New engines are delivered with no engine number stamped on the block, and the dealer will stamp with the existing number. The current engine block is then scrapped / recycled after having the number removed.

Replacement engine will be a reconditioned unit not new as the TDI PD 140 is now obsolete.

Edited by ttw

A reconditioned unit should still be as good as new, and also have the same warranty as a new one. It will also be factory tested before being sent to the dealer.

• 2 months later...

Haven't been on for a while but I agreed to pay for half of the parts and no labour just to get the car back. (cost to me £1200, cost to them £3000). Finally got the car back after 5 weeks only to find climate control not working and steering misaligned, also an oil leak from new engine! Car was picked up from work to have steering done and software update for climate. Went back two weeks later for oil change (needed to honour the warranty on new engine), brake fluid change, which was missed at service, and new front brakes. Also had exhaust heatshield refitted as was rattling against the bottom of the car, another £480.

As we speak the car is back with dealer as it looks like DMF is on its way out, they are being their usual useless and non-committal selves, they've had the car 48 hours and I had to phone this evening to find out what is going on, hasn't been into the workshop yet...

Considering offering him £5000 plus my car against a 59 Octavia L&K 2.0 TDI DSG they have on the forecourt then parting ways with dealer for good.

Why didnt the dealer inspect the clutch & flywheel when they fitted the new engine & advise you of its condition,re-fitting a old clutch & flywheel to a new engine is stupid,you could of paid for parts only as no labour charge would be required.I do wonder what goes on in these peoples heads sometimes..........."technicians.......bring back proper old school mechanics!  :rofl:

Why didnt the dealer inspect the clutch & flywheel when they fitted the new engine & advise you of its condition,re-fitting a old clutch & flywheel to a new engine is stupid,you could of paid for parts only as no labour charge would be required.I do wonder what goes on in these peoples heads sometimes..........."technicians.......bring back proper old school mechanics!  :rofl:

I questioned this yesterday. "No way clutch/flywheel could have been damaged by timing belt failure." I was told. My reaction: "You mean in the same way you said that the timing belt didn't need changing?" He didn't like that. Car is going, shame as I love it but can't justify spending more money on it.