How much for PD oil !!!

After a couple of weeks and 600 miles of vRS ownership I decided to invest in some top-up oil today. Nearest Skoda dealer is about 20 miles away so I dropped into the VW emporium on the way home from work to get some. Once I got round the "Which type, what's your reg number?" problem I got charged

It's not like it's an oil-burner in THAT sense fortunately.

It definitely should last pretty well, I've topped up the oil once so far, during the 10k service it will probably get some nice new stuff put in, hard to be sure :D

A word of caution to all those scratching their heads and wondering which oil to buy.

I got tipped off recently by an oil company technical bod that there is a world of difference between 'conforms to', 'exceeds', 'meets' and 'VW approved'. VW can and do carry out testing on oil (for a price) and will give an official approval to an oil company that their product meets their standard e.g. 505.01. I have seen an example of the document myself.

Its my belief that if you use anything that does not say VW approved or from a company who cannot or are not willing to give, site of this document then its likely that they have not actually submitted their product to VW for testing and are making an assumption based on its viscosity and other testing categorisations.

Given the extreme pressures exerted on the oil by the cam followers that drive the PD system, it seems foolish to use anything other than a VW approved oil, of which there are several brands - you do not have to buy the VW product at their inflated prices.

After a couple of weeks and 600 miles of vRS ownership I decided to invest in some top-up oil today. Nearest Skoda dealer is about 20 miles away so I dropped into the VW emporium on the way home from work to get some. Once I got round the "Which type, what's your reg number?" problem I got charged

I have done 6000 miles in my car and it hasnt used a drop of oil. :)

Mine has just turned 6000 (on the way to Btunters on Sat) and I've used over 1/2 a litre. As long as its not still using it after its first service I'm not really concerned...

I try to keep it close to the top of the dipstick though, keeps it quieter on cold mornings :rofl:

Mine has just turned 6000 (on the way to Btunters on Sat) and I've used over 1/2 a litre. As long as its not still using it after its first service I'm not really concerned...

I try to keep it close to the top of the dipstick though' date=' keeps it quieter on cold mornings :rofl:[/quote']

i must admit i was quite suprised to find that it had not used any, especially after reading tese forums. i was getting quite panicky about finding some oil ready to top it up. I couldnt believe it when I dipped it to find it hadnt budged.