VRS TSI problems

First - I apologize if this thread contains subject already issued

I have a VRS TSI Fabia, bought with 22 000KM on the clock, so far I've done 4 000KM and during that time she ate bout 1/2 l of oil every 500-600KM. The dealer said that VW has a protocol of dealing with this problem, and so far they've done only the first step (replacing "uberlauf" tube) and said that there is 99% of chance that the problem is solved. 700KM later - again another 1/2 l of oil, and waiting another service to be done today... So my q's are:

Anyone with VRS TSI with this problem? Was is solved? How?

P.S. Two months ago one VRS in Zagreb, Cro, literally blew up, despite that the full service protocol took place, and they had to replace the engine.

Thx

No point repeating what has been mentioned in many other threads..

Stage 1 - pipe replacement (doesn't work in 99% of cases, it seems)

Stage 2 - Engine repair/replacement

My engine expired recently - part of a valve suddenly missing (see Boom Bang-a-Bang).

• 4 months later...

Me again, another issue...

As the service protocol for 1.4TSI said, about 6,200km ago my vRS got a brand new engine. Everything was fine till about 4,300km after replacement, and then she reported oil level check, so I did and -1l... Went to service, and got reasurance that this is normal, till engine parts "settle" in, and that it will stop after about 10 000km. Since then I've poured another liter.

Is this normal? Is it true what the service guys told me?

Also, I've noticed one more thing, engine bay is incredibly hot, even after normal drive round the city ... My friend got his finger burned on bonnet holding stick - that is how hot is in there. Could this be an answer for oil consumption? Closer look to the engine bay reveals that is "stuffed" with engine, piping, radiators, wires, plastic etc...and there is no "way out" for the hot air. Can it be a cause of thermal overloading that 5w 30 can't take?

I even concider to switch to 0w 40 (Porsche GT2 and GT3 RS are using this oil) as it should be more resistant to thermal loads, and thus more resiliant to burning out in the engine?

Also, thinking of removing engine cover and bonnet unertray to help cooling, and maybe even get a pair of theese to fit on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focus-RS-MK2-style-ABS-plastic-bonnet-vents-/171032733372

Sorry for the looooong post, but had to explain, and maybe get some info on this..

Thx :)

Edited by Hellboy

Sorry, but you are talking about being very hot under the bonnet, 

but when you say normal driving about,  

What is the Ambient Temperature with you when this is happening,?

Here 24-30*oC is a summers day type hot, and the 5w 30 Full Synthetic is fine.

??What Oil Temperature shows in the car when driving in town or out of town?

If it like 40*C ambient where you are or so, 

then maybe some of the Guys with RS Twinchargers in Australia or Greece can comment.

If your engine still uses too much oil and you have 3.6 litres in to start with,

i suggest you get it checked out again rather than trying to cure by experimenting with different oils.

Nothing wrong with putting in a Quality Oil and seeing how it is though.

george

Driving around in 40 degrees Celsius is interesting. You can definitely feel (a presumably heat-soak-related) drop in performance after an hour or so. I found the oil temperature got up a few degrees higher than normal and, coincidentally or not, more was used in a fortnight where it was 35 degrees and up just about every day. 30 degrees and under makes little or no difference, though. If anything, I'd imagine driving in freezing (or less) temperatures would be worse.

I do admit it can get very hot under the bonnet at times, however (one of the reasons why I wait at least fifteen minutes to do an oil check). Probably an upgraded intercooler wouldn't be a bad move in a very hot climate, if only to maintain performance in extreme conditions.

• Like 1

My thought was that all that heat could be one of the things causing high oil consumpion.

As for the performance, hot weather kills some horses, but cold weather gives some.. The difference between -10*C and +30*C is hughe.

Also

Anyone familiar with the thing that Audi A1 owners have no (or I didn't find any online) problems with oil consumption...?

And that there are two different 1.4 TSI engines in Audi A1 Sport and Polo GTI (CAVE QG1 and CAVE QG0/2) both starting from 2010. First one uses EDGE 5w30 with oil service interval of 30000km, and that second one uses EDGE 5w30 and Magnatec 5w40 with oil service interval of 20000km?

Suppose that QG0/2 is the one which has issues solved...?

Your engine is a 1.4tsi Twincharger (CAVE) & on Fixed Servicing.. Use 5w 30 or 5w 40 if you want.

9400 mile oil changes or more often if you want.

The Engine that was changed to Variable Servicing was in 2012 & that was still a CAVE engine,

and then the CTHE engine in late 2012 was also Variable Servicing.

None of the Engines have the Oil Issue shorted, if it is a faulty engine. *It can happen with any of them.*

CAVE from 2009 in the Seat Ibiza, Skoda vRS (2010), Polo GTI (2010) Audi A1 185ps ((2011)

CHTH Engine 2012-2013, vRS, GTI, A1, Seat Ibiza Cupra (2013)

The CTHE engine has changed internals & ECU and some have still been Oil Users & members here have had CTHE engines replaced.

Your Service Codes of QG1 QG2 QG16 are just the Service Intervals, Oil/Filter change and makes no difference to if 

it is a engine that will have Bore Wash, Piston Ring, Bearing Wear or the other 1.4 TSI Twincharger problems.

There are so many oil threads on mk2 vRS on Briskoda,

just scan back through a few pages and read them, to see the continuing problems with some owners cars.

I think you are finding no Audi A1 185ps 1.4 TFSI S-A problems because there are so few of these cars and so few that have done many miles,

If you look online the Reported Problems are there, same as for each of the different cars with Twinchargers of 178/182 bhp

& some Owners just get the same rubbish told to them at Dealerships.

But maybe some Audi Dealerships were right onto the problem as soon as they showed.

Dipping the Oil, not Overfilling with oil & into the Workshop the moment the Premium Model was going to hurt the Audi Reputation.

The Engine is identical & only has a different is the MAP to give it an official VW figure of 185PS/182BHP.

These engines can have the same problem as those in a Ibiza, Fabia or Polo.

Just Google,  audi a1 1.4 tfsi using oil     Plenty there.

http://www.a1-forum.co.uk

http://www.a1-forum.co.uk/a1forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6381&start=40

george

• 1 year later...

maybe you guys already know about this, but - just to announce, problem is solved, so far done 7000km, oil ok.... :) Mean Green is ok, AT LAST!

Edited by Hellboy
  • Like 3