Anyone with a 'CAVE' engine vRS that has had a 'CTHE' fitted.

A favour please.

Could anyone with an Early 2012 or older Twincharger, that has had a replacement engine that you believe to be replaced with a 'CTHE' engine from late 2012,.

please look at the ECU and see if it is a new 'CTHE' ECU that is now fitted.

The sticker should be easy enough to see.

thanks..

Early 'CAVE' ECU left, & CTHE on the right.

I have had a new engine and I was led to believe I had the CTHE fitted. However the ecu is the same ecu as before. Perhaps it is just a new cave. I'm not convinced the oil issue has been rectified either. Although better I have still used 1.5 litres in 4000 miles.

ECU on mine still says CAVE, but number below the "CAVE" text has been scribbled out and handwritten is "9970". Build approx June 2012. Was a new engine, I'm led to believe as it was only 7 months (and 22,000 miles) old at the time of the valve failure.

Have looked all over the engine for something to tell me which engine is fitted, but no clues (stickers etc).

@ Arnold, think yourself lucky, ive used that in 1400 miles, when it stops pishing down ill go have a look George

@ phil, its on the ecu, top right corner where itll say cave or cthe

the curiosity got the better of me so after getting a little wet ive found mine still says CAVE, im a little disapointed now and maybe answers why its still supping oil

one thing thats got me curious now, since ive had another engine and its still as bad, is it possible its not an engine fault but something else that they've reused in my build, turbo for instance thats using the oil? can i really be that unlucky to have two duffer engines. looking at the stats its not all that common so whats the odds on getting two bad ones? im thinking it could be an something else thats giving me all this trouble

Edited by the mad monk

Thank you for that.

It will be interesting to hear from 'Evil Miyagi', & what ECU is on his vRS,

because he spotted his new engine in a CTHE crate.

You would expect the car to now have a CTHE ECU to match if the engine in the crate was actually a CTHE..

(maybe some VAG Tech might be able to comment, or its going to be down to getting the story from Skoda UK.)

http://www.briskoda....5-not-good-news

george

@ the mad monk - yep. says CAVE on the ECU, so can only assume I got a new CAVE engine? Odd if they stopped making them late 2012...? Not sure if the handwritten numbers mean anything though.

So aside from the ECU, no identifying marks on the engine anywhere?

Someone could maybe check the Timing Cover Casting and script on the Drivers side of CTHE engine and how it has been factory ground or not.

On a replacement CAVE engine check the label number ie and one on now on your ECU.

eg here in this pic the '9519',

the '9970' Phil has will match the Engine Stickers and the number written on the ECU.

george

Possibly the same on the CAVE & CTHE,

but a complete new CTHE replacement engine should probably have the new build date Bar Code and the Orange sticker.

& the matching number on the ECU label.

(on this ECU 'CTHE 4538'

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping.

Instead of linking into the 'Oil Use' thread or the 'How long' etc.

Still interested in anyone with a replacement engine fitted.

CAVE engine car, more importantly. & you were told or thought you were getting a CTHE engine fitted as a replacement.

Does your car still have a CAVE style ECU on it?

george

• 7 months later...

I'm bumping this as I'm struggling to find any markings that resemble cave or cthe.

I can make out some code on the front of the engine by exhaust manifold and the only other is a sticker on the timing cover but that just seems to be a part number.

There is no external marking that i know of that will tell you,

put a picture up of the ECU on the car, and look at the stickers on that if you can see them.

What did Skoda UK Customer Services tell you you have in the way of an engine?

Skoda that supplied your engine and the dealer that fitted it know your engine numbers and can check the Engines History, and when where etc.

Then that engine numbers for the replacement engine if it has one should now be notified to the DVLA & the V5 Updated.

All that information is on the Skoda Computer system,

or should be.

I have a polo gti we've discussed this in another thread I just thought somebody may have an update on this particular thread.

What is annoying me about this is not being able to find an engine number at all even though I'm 99% sure it's not a reconditioned engine as I found a stamp on the block that said 09/13 so must have been made last year and as they were not make cav engines it must be a CTH one.

Would they defo have to replace the ECU as the e on the end of the code is the software and that is the same on both engines.

Is it a Stamp you found as in Stamped into it,

or a Casting as is done at the time the Block was cast.

Just ask VW for the information, it is your car you need to know what it has in it.

Just a phone call and an Email.

Did they change the V5 or ask you to.?

My ECU has something handwritten on it (replacement engine early 2013).  Can't look at the moment as it's having a split radiator replaced (post crash - it wasn't leaking then but started just after I got it back).