Noise from N/S when braking

Hi guys tried to search for this not found anything definitive I'm afraid. I have a noise from the N/S when braking which sounds like a grinding sound but continues if I lift of the brakes.It goes away when I accelerate and is really pronounced just before the car comes to a halt?? I have been told it is not wheel bearing and that it is a noisy diff? I changed the gearbox oil (with VAG stuff fairly recently after having a slight leak from the n/s driveshaft seal.

I am hoping it isn't the diff letting go! could it be CV joint? but the sound doesn't change if I am turning though?

All help and info on this gratefully received.

Cheers gents

Got the same with mine, but no noise after releasing the brakes, new discs n pads last year too. I reckon it's the wheel bearing, but it isn't doing owt else ie quiet round corners and no play what so ever etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Raf, sounds familiar...I have had the wheel off and tried to clean up and inspect the discs and pads, wire brushed off the rusty protruding edge but it is still the same? Let me know how you get on with the wheel bearing, I will be taking mine in soon so they can have another look at it!

Cheers all

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry late response on all these messages...bakes are Pagid and the CV joint being dry would explain it?!? It will be going into the car doctors soon enough fo someone to have a proper look at this.

cheers again all!

Similar to mine, same disks n pads, I've got a brand new driveshaft fitted last year. Could it be the brakes?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Might sound stupid, but I had pretty much the same noise and it was a pebble stuck between the splashguard and the disk. Sounded awful when coming to a stop.

i've just been reading this topic and have the same noise on my octavia, had it for a while now and its getting worse so have just taken the car off the road to change both front hub bearings as the nearside one has gone ( wheel loose when jacked up ) although the drivers side still feels solid. i'm going to change both anyway so will let you know if it cures the noise. Mike.