brakes!

Changed my pads today as my brakes were squeeking. Still a squeek there.. cleaned them all up freed them from dust etcc..

Also brakes feel s h i t now?? Pedal feels spongy and need to give it a good distance for brakea to work any ideaa? :/

Hi Jam -

Couple of things to consider. If the discs are very worn the new pads will take a few hundred miles to bed in. Its one reason discs and pads are often changed at the same time.

Secondly, have you considered bleeding the system. You may have some air in the system. Changing the fluid should give a nice firm pedal.

Are you sure you have the correct pad compound? None standard compounds will have different characteristics.

As for the squeal, a small amount of copperslip on the back of the pads and new anti squeal shims should cure it.

John

Did you put any Copper slip on the back of the pads, this normally stops any squeaking?

As for spongy peddle, did you touch the bleed nipple at all? Some people open it when pushing back the pistons to stop old fluid going back into the system. If not it just could be the pads need bedding in for a while.

Discs are fine. Copper grease on back yeap never touched nipple. Sure they need bedding in but my jeez they feel so crap. Cleaned the metal shims too so i dunno why they are still squeeling :(

When you say the discs are fine, if they are worn / grooved or have a lip on the outer edge the pads will need to wear down to the profile of the discs to give maximum effectiveness. This could be causing the squeal. Its why dealers will often change the discs and pads together. Less bedding in and better performance. The shims are also service part. If they have lost any of their tensile strength it could also cause squealing so you could replace them.

If the pedal is soft / spongey bleed them to get new fluid in and let the brakes bed in a bit. If that doesn't work I would look at changing the discs and start again.

When you say the discs are fine, if they are worn / grooved or have a lip on the outer edge the pads will need to wear down to the profile of the discs to give maximum effectiveness. This could be causing the squeal. Its why dealers will often change the discs and pads together. Less bedding in and better performance. The shims are also service part. If they have lost any of their tensile strength it could also cause squealing so you could replace them.

If the pedal is soft / spongey bleed them to get new fluid in and let the brakes bed in a bit. If that doesn't work I would look at changing the discs and start again.

Thanks man! Il look into getting new shims tommorow

You can use the same disc again *if* it's worn true, you'd normally check the run out and take measurements using micrometer across the surface of the disc assuming its got no lip/ridges and then select a pad with a break in coating to make things easier. From the sounds of it your pads aren't making full contact with your discs hence the crap brake performance.

Shoving new pads on old discs that aren't true or have a lip is as dangerous as it is foolish. I'd suggest you'll find replacing the discs solves most of your problems, you could of course go the other way and wear the pads to the discs the hard way but before doing that I'd strongly consider swapping the discs and doing it ASAP before they wear unevenly.

By they, I am referring to the new pads wearing to the shape of the old discs, which it turn could do the same to new discs. It won't let me edit the comment now :)