12 Octavia 1.6 TDi Engine Noise on Idle

Hi all,

I've got a 12 plate Octavia 1.6 TDi. On idle, the engine appears to be "pulsing" - that is it sound like the throttle is being pressed slightly to increase revs, and then drops again. This happens 1 or 2 times a second.

It's going for a service soon and I will mention it but I wondered if anybody else had the same issue.

Thanks

Lee

Normal, I do get that and the conclusion I ended up with was that it has to do with fuel.

Most of the time I put Shell regular fuel in. Perhaps I should try the other premium diesel offering they have to see if it still does it.

I've noticed my 2010 (10 plate) 1.6TDI is doing this. Not sure if this is a new thing, or if it's already been there and I've not noticed. I suspect it's new, because although light, it is obvious when I'm sat in the car so can't have been oblivious for 2 years(?) It's like the OP says, slight pulsation, about twice per second. My 3yr warranty has just expired, so naturally feeling a little paranoid about it!

I don;t experience it every time I'm in the car, but haven't documented the revs to work out if it coincides with a regen. I've also wondered if engine temp is a factor, i.e. mainly happens when cold. I switched to Shell VPower diesel this year, 3 tankfulls so far. Surely a premium fuel can be the cause? Unless mine prefers the cheapie Asda stuff I used to use?!

Over here if I put BP it will do it garanteed. I don't really mind, actually after changing the idle from 780 to 850 is less noticeable. If I'm at the lights and starts doing it, I just tap the accelerator as the revs stay calm for a few.seconds

I think its to do with the DMF, as mine does it if you slightly increase the throttle and ride the clutch a bit on a hill. The DMF vibrates at a different frequency than the engine. Does the rev counter needle pulsate as well?

I bet when you get it serviced they say its normal!

Edited by ianbenny

on cold mornings when i turn on the defrosters, heater ETC in my 1.6 tdi , the engine goes up to 1000RPM and leaves the usual 700, i phoned the garage i bought it from (offical skoda dealer) and they said it was due to the battery getting drained more faster so the car puts the revs up to charge it a bit quiker