I like... I was offered a diesel one really cheap the other day, and I must say I turned it down, regret it now of course... But I was working on the rationale that it will probably only do 45mpg if I'm lucky with a following wind and diesel is more expensive to buy than petrol plus higher tax... I am on the lookout for a nice 1.6 petrol hatch now though..

• Like 1

I like... I was offered a diesel one really cheap the other day, and I must say I turned it down, regret it now of course... But I was working on the rationale that it will probably only do 45mpg if I'm lucky with a following wind and diesel is more expensive to buy than petrol plus higher tax... I am on the lookout for a nice 1.6 petrol hatch now though..

Fancy a Laurin & Klement Tom? :smirk:

Just did a round trip of 360 miles with four and a dog in the car and a trailer full of luggage behind and averaged over 50mpg on the trip with our diesel. About a year and a half ago I went all geeky and started calculating the mileage and over that time we've averaged just under 46mpg and that's not driving for economy and the boot's always cluttered with junk.

£180 with only 81,000 on the clock should give years of cheap motoring. The tax is a bit hefty though.

Just did a round trip of 360 miles with four and a dog in the car and a trailer full of luggage behind and averaged over 50mpg on the trip with our diesel. About a year and a half ago I went all geeky and started calculating the mileage and over that time we've averaged just under 46mpg and that's not driving for economy and the boot's always cluttered with junk.

£180 with only 81,000 on the clock should give years of cheap motoring. The tax is a bit hefty though.

I'll second that. I averaged 45 with a relatively heavy foot, equating to about 450+ miles per tank. It was a very pleasant and likeable engine, overall, just painfully slow.#

Tax is the same as the 1.6 anyway.

The difference in price per litre paired with the lesser fuel economy of the petrol (I'm currently getting 37.03MPG average, 350 miles to a tank if you really push your luck) means that the 1.6 is not all that far off equal in terms of running cost.

I've never driven the 1.3 but popular opinion seems to suggest that the 1.3 is favoured over the 1.6 anyway in terms of driveability.

Oh yer, while we are on the subject of tax.. I was told by the dvla that on mine with the 20v engine, because the car was never avaiable with a 1781cc engine as standard from the factory, the tax band stays the same as the original cc for the car. Strange things like that work out sometimes..

• Like 1

I'll second that. I averaged 45 with a relatively heavy foot, equating to about 450+ miles per tank. It was a very pleasant and likeable engine, overall, just painfully slow.#

Tax is the same as the 1.6 anyway.

The difference in price per litre paired with the lesser fuel economy of the petrol (I'm currently getting 37.03MPG average, 350 miles to a tank if you really push your luck) means that the 1.6 is not all that far off equal in terms of running cost.

I've never driven the 1.3 but popular opinion seems to suggest that the 1.3 is favoured over the 1.6 anyway in terms of driveability.

I never tried the 1.6. The 1.3 was much the same economy as the 1.9 when I had one but that's just an impression as I never did the sums for that one. If you thrashed it then it seemed quite nippy but didn't take to loads the same as the diesel. Can't comment on the slowness really as I came to them from a Lada Niva and a long line of Austin 1100s.

Oh yer, while we are on the subject of tax.. I was told by the dvla that on mine with the 20v engine, because the car was never avaiable with a 1781cc engine as standard from the factory, the tax band stays the same as the original cc for the car. Strange things like that work out sometimes..

Alright for some. When I last taxed my 1.3 felly in the UK just over 2 years ago it cost £125 for the year. In Ireland I was suddenly paying €333 euros (about £265 sterling per year), it's now €358 (approx £285 sterling). A 1.6 felly would be €514 (about £410), and a 1.9 deisel €673 (about £540)!!!

Alright for some. When I last taxed my 1.3 felly in the UK just over 2 years ago it cost £125 for the year. In Ireland I was suddenly paying €333 euros (about £265 sterling per year), it's now €358 (approx £285 sterling). A 1.6 felly would be €514 (about £410), and a 1.9 deisel €673 (about £540)!!!

Ouch, the joys of fiscal union!! ;)

i fancy a l and k estate keep telling the missis that i want the estate felicia as family getting bigger now even need to change other car and i like my tax too :-) mine is good on fuel too even when air con on too when needed.

I never tried the 1.6. The 1.3 was much the same economy as the 1.9 when I had one but that's just an impression as I never did the sums for that one. If you thrashed it then it seemed quite nippy but didn't take to loads the same as the diesel. Can't comment on the slowness really as I came to them from a Lada Niva and a long line of Austin 1100s.

I've had both now. On paper the 1.6 only has an extra 7bhp but it has bags of low down torque and takes off like the proverbial scalded cat but doesn't feel like it wants to be revved so you have to change up earlier, but that's ok because of said torque. It's also happy to do 30mph in 5th gear which makes it happier round town. The 1.3 is happy to be revved but has to be to get it to go. Didn't want to go up hills either. The novelty of being able to accelerate up hills still hasn't worn off!

^ I've spent the last decade or so just driving a Fav & Fellys. My company have just taken on 4 new MPV's (Peugeot 5008, 1.6 Diesel, 6 speed) for shared use throughout Kent. Wow, now I've got a better perspective on comparative performance & torque!! Accept the fact it's a diesel but that torque on tap is addictive & would rinse the pick up! :doh:

However that said my old girl would still be first choice for me!! ;)

Enjoying this discussion as I've been considering a Felicia diesel for economic reasons. Our 1.3 is slow (low output) and does about 32mpg on the lanes round by us. But on a recent run it returned 42mpg.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Following on from the fuel economy discussion earlier in this thread, I thought I would fill my 166,000 mile 1.9 to the brim before doing a 200 mile round trip on motorways. Speed was constant at 70mph with strong head wind on return. Then refilled the tank to brimming. Result 50.5 MPG. Not bad at 70mph!!!

• Like 2

The engine on the one we are buying sounds pretty smooth, so I am hoping for similar mpg to that my sons first Felly gave - 45-50 mpg, however I do expect it will need a good service first - it has been standing unused for nearly a year.

Hi ya, quite a reasonable expectation from the diesel, a little harder to achieve/sustain from the petrol options.

I reckon overall I've found my 1.6 to be a bit more frugal than the 1.3 if driven sensibly :think:

Good luck with your Felly purchase & hope she brings happy motoring!

Rob ;)

It was only a couple of years ago, and the 50 mpg was while he was learning to drive - so too many revs and mostly urban 30mph areas; after he passed his test and started looning around, the mpg dropped to between 40 and 44.

The replacement car did similar mpg, even though it had a lot more mileage on it, and had been neglected for many years.