New Rapid - rattles

I'm reading this with interest as I just bought the Seat Toledo version of the Skoda Rapid,  a 1.6 tdi se at 9 months old with 4k on and it has a  annoying buzzy rattle coming from the front doors. I had traded in a 13 year old Honda for this car and it had less cabin rattle. I'm off to the Seat dealer tomorrow to see if they can sort. Did anyone who reported cabin rattle get anywhere. ?

Edited by jadis1970

My Rapid has a buzz from the seatbelt height adjuster and also from the drivers door. I will sort these out myself as its a 150 mile round trip to the nearest dealer. The internal plastic trim is of poor quality and this is where I suspect we will all have problems but hey ho they have to save money somewhere.

• Like 1

Took my car to Seat dealer last week and service manager went out for a run with me, rattles were not as evident as usual but he did think he, "heard something perhaps from boot area ! "  Anyhow, he suggested I book it in for further investigation.

My Toledo went into the Seat dealer at 8.30am today and they phoned at 15.30 to say they had detected 4 rattles and had sorted them. Both seat belt adjusters, passenger door card and from spare wheel in boot? They asked me to go out with mechanic for a test drive when I picked car up to see if better. Went out on drive with mechanic it was better but half way through on a slightly rougher road a rattle became apparent from drivers side door card, they fixed this before I took car away. Car seems much better now... lets hope it stays that way. Overall happy with service I received today.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What an interesting thread! I've had my 11 month old Rapid Elegance for 6 days and a rattle/buzz to my right is apparent on slightly more textured road surfaces. I hope it's only the seatbelt height adjuster as mentioned in this thread. My previous car, an Octavia Ambiente 1.9TDi, had no such rattling. I'm mentioning at the dealership tomorrow...

• 1 year later...

Over the past few days my Rapid has developed a very annoying rattle behind the passenger side dash. It goes away if i press the re circulation button on my Climate control. Sounds like a flap or motor turning fast, so that it sounds like click button being pressed continuously. I'm planning on seeing a Skoda dealer as soon as possible. Cars is 1.6 TDI from may 2013 with 53K miles on the clock. Warranty runs out this may.   

Edited by Cown

What an interesting thread! I've had my 11 month old Rapid Elegance for 6 days and a rattle/buzz to my right is apparent on slightly more textured road surfaces. I hope it's only the seatbelt height adjuster as mentioned in this thread. My previous car, an Octavia Ambiente 1.9TDi, had no such rattling. I'm mentioning at the dealership tomorrow...

Sounds exactly like mine - seat belt height adjuster has the most annoying rattle.
  • Like 1

An easy way to deal with rattles is to use the dab tool - TURN UP PLANET ROCK :rock:  - no rattles - simples.

This trick can also be used to enhance performance.  When late for work one Sunday, I did my 80 minute commute by AX diesel in 48 minutes...

Thanks to the soothing power of Guns 'n Roses, I could not hear the mechanichal mayhem as the 1400 donk thrashed along at over 95 :D

• Like 1

Hmm mine had creaky back doors which has righted itself and was quiet. The loan Spaceback is completely rattle free [emoji106]

The soundproofing is very good on these compared to the Hatchback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a creaky driver door. I think it's coming from the rubber around the window, drop the window slightly (a few mm) an it stops. Tried all sorts of lub on the rubbers, it persists.

I have a creaky driver door. I think it's coming from the rubber around the window, drop the window slightly (a few mm) an it stops. Tried all sorts of lub on the rubbers, it persists.

Some Gummi Pflege will sort that out.

• Like 1

My Spaceback Black Edition creaks excessively and like no car I've ever had before, most notably in the areas of the B & C pillars.

My suspicion is that it's due to the full glass roof affecting the cars structural integrity and allowing more flex in the body than those with the full steel roof, and it's something I'm tempted to contact SUK about.

The noise can sometimes be extremely annoying, a true cacophony, especially when it starts occurring during any point of even the slightest acceleration or braking (almost as if the car is 'flexing' in the middle from the forces generated).

It's also very temperature related, creaking more in colder weather.

Be interested to know if anyone else with the full glass roof is experiencing anything similar?

When I get the time I'll do a sound recording and (try to) post it on here.

Hi new here. Just counted how many skoda's in my immediate family at present - 7 octavia's and now 1 new Rapid. My father in law bought a new 1.6tdi rapid. Has it two weeks and he's not very happy. It has an annoying rattle. If it was an old high mileage car, you would say there was a bearing going. If you travel on a smooth asphalt surface it practically goes away, but on rougher surfaces it is there. Its been back to dealer, and they say they cannot find anything wrong.

Has anyone else with a new Rapid found rattles or noises that should not be there on a new car. He traded in a 2008 Octavia tdi, which was perfect and smooth - great car.

Also where is the Rapid built? is it different to the Octavia?

Thanks.

I picked up a 'new' rapid last week and had a similar issue - a rattle over certain road surfaces from inside the car.

It turned out to be the plastic surround in front of the instrument binnacle.

Pressing it slightly makes the noise go away - perhaps worth checking if this is the source? Once I figure out how to remove it I'm sure its an easy fix.

Some Gummi Pflege will sort that out.

I have been meaning to try some of that, mostly use Autoglym rubber treatment stuff.

Frustrated with it yesterday I liberally went around with some silicone spray, applied by cloth. Not the best stuff to use I know as not good for rubber. I reckon it's temperature related, perfect when cold/frosty/damp as soon as it dries a little and milder it creaks. What's worse it's right by my right earhole, so it really gets on my t*** and some. :D

Edited by MickA

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having issues with rattles/creaking coming from my driver's door and also the rear (driver's side) passenger door. (I sat in the back earlier today to listen and my wife drover the car) So far, the noise has been very noticeable at slower speeds, particularly when turning or manoeuvring the car. The noise is very difficult to hear (perhaps disappears??) at cruising speeds. I have yet to determine if the noises are temperature dependent. This is really annoying me and I'm not sure I can live with it. A real shame because I waited a long time to find what I hoped and thought would be the right car.

Suggestions from family members (e.g "turn the stereo up") are not helping me! I purchased the car 2nd hand with just under 5k on the clock and the dealer is over 100 miles away so a quick trip to see them is not an option. I did read Chris Green's suggestion for "Gummi Pflege" but my ears are telling me these noises are coming from the plastics/door cards and not the rubber window seals. Any more thoughts??

If it's relevant, I have a Rapid Spaceback SE with the glass sunroof.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ted1888

I think some of these noises could be temperature related.

When It's been really cold, ie below 0 degrees, I get a bit of a creaking noise from the passenger door which I think could be the wind deflector and the fact that it is just so cold is making it brittle and noisy. I get no noises at warmer temperatures

Anyone come up with a solution for the seat belt adjustment rattle? I've tried moving it up and down, but there is still a bit of a buzz...

Cheers,

Tim

turn the radio up quite a few notches. that's what I do now

• Like 1

Discovered by chance this morning (when one of them moved) that there's no trim clips holding on the plastic tweeter facias on my front doors.

The holes are there in the door for them, as are the mounts on the plastic trim piece, but it appears someone forgot to put the actual clips in place when mounting them on the doors. So basically they are just balancing there with no more than the door rubber providing resistance to hold them in place - FFS.

All mine creak. App its the door seals or window seals where it is coming from

Thanks for the reply. So is it a simple case of putting up with these noises or getting rid of the car? Presumably there is nothing that can be "fixed" under warranty?.

There is a fix for the door squeak... They basically apply a lubricant to the door seals. I was advised NOT to use autoglym rubber stuff as it dries the seals out to to clean the area that the rubber makes contact to. 

I also have a rattle in the seat belt adjuster area... very annoying and I believe there are some DIY solutions in the octave mk2 section on here but I didn't want to attempt it till my warranty is out (I have taken it back to skoda but they weren't issued a fix although they could hear it!)