Is this a rip-off cost for tyres from franchise dealer?

flinflon

For my load lugger 4 new tyres (Michelin primacy 225/50R17W) required - dealer wants £249 each, local tyre shed £175. Only diff is the dealer's quote is for 98W and shed can only supply 94W.

Dealer tyres always expensive (no discounts they keep all the profit) so you must look around.

Quick look on Black Circles shows prices similar to your local tyre shed fitted. Try looking there and even calling the tyre fitter direct for a price (i found last year that the garage that did mine would have charged 13 quid less per corner than i paid BC).

Never used them, but if you fancy a drive over to Hampshire try Micheldever tyres, they are supposed to be good but i have no first hand experience.

More to the point, don't bother with Michelin Primacy's and get something better *and* cheaper :D

Chris

Sorry cant agree with you on that one. My 2008 vrs diesel octy had them on from the factory, the fronts got changed at 30'000 miles and the backs are still going strong at 45'000. And as for grip they match the sport 3's I have on the front in all conditions, then the point on buying cheaper you would have to find a tyre that can match it for a 3rd of the price to make it worthwhile as the average tyre lasts 10'000 miles. So for me buying the cheaper tyre is false economy. Would I put the sports back on no, the premacys very much yes.

• Like 1

Sorry cant agree with you on that one. My 2008 vrs diesel octy had them on from the factory, the fronts got changed at 30'000 miles and the backs are still going strong at 45'000. And as for grip they match the sport 3's I have on the front in all conditions, then the point on buying cheaper you would have to find a tyre that can match it for a 3rd of the price to make it worthwhile as the average tyre lasts 10'000 miles. So for me buying the cheaper tyre is false economy. Would I put the sports back on no, the premacys very much yes.

Which average tyre is lasting 10k miles - sounds like you've tried 2, both from Michelin? I ran Primacys and then replaced them with Falken and then Kumho mid-range tyres. Grip levels felt better in the mid-range tyres, they were less noisy and they both lasted around 6k longer. Oh and they cost quite a bit less too. In their favour, the Primacys were better than the Conti Sports (2 and 3) I had which were woeful and eye-wateringly expensive. YMMV :D

Never used them, but if you fancy a drive over to Hampshire try Micheldever tyres, they are supposed to be good but i have no first hand experience.

Used them a few times - great price, cr@p fitters .. all imhe. You're better off going to Protyre who are part of the same group and have the same prices but employ better fitters (based on my experience of the Eastleigh branch :D)

Chris

Never used them, but Head Office is near there, and most of the enthusiasts based out of HO recommend them.