Garrett GT1749VA Turbo Dynamics Hybrid

Xavier

As I now have my 2260 fitted, I no longer need this.

Ideal replacement for those wanting an upgrade from their original Garrett or pooped KKK turbo.

Works flawlessly, seals appear OK and show no signs of oil leaks.

Edit: to clarify a few questions via PM, the following applies to any turbo / performance upgrade, and is not specific to this particular hybrid :)

This turbo is a straight bolt-on replacement to your original turbo. It will work with the standard map / basic remap. However, to get the most out of it, you would need to have the car remapped as a standard map won't "know" more boost is available.

If you're thinking of getting it remapped, you really need a custom map done on the road / rolling road to get the most ouf of this. That's not because this specific turbo requires it, any turbo or change in potential engine performance needs a new map to make sure everything is finely tuned together.

If you're still on a standard everything and this is your first performance mod, it would make sense to fit the turbo before doing any remapping. Also, if you're still on the standard clutch, a proper custom map is tweaked to ensure you don't have too much torque making the clutch slip. A map giving more top-end power is of course possible without having an adverse effect on the OEM clutch.

If you've already had a remap and are on a standard turbo or have had your standard KKK turbo go pop, this will work and will be more reliable with the extra power available by the fact it's a Garrett and not a KKK :)

With Bobby's map, this produced around 200HP (192 on JKM's rollers, 215 on Surrey Rolling Road's).

Scan-130302-0001-S.jpg

130305-Dyno-SRR-S.jpg

Obviously, this comes with no warranty and probably has around 100k miles, but has run without a hitch and shows that performance and reliability can come hand in hand with a decent turbo mapped respectfully :)

130429_HybridTurbo_02-L.jpg

130429_HybridTurbo_01-L.jpg

I have no idea how much they're worth. Seeing Luke has sold his non hybrid for £250 and Jamie selling his stage 2 for £850, I would think £350 + postage £300 + postage is a fair price for a decent quality Garrett offering. Bobby's comment on mapping the car with it was that it spooled incredibly quickly. So an ideal OEM replacement for those looking for a more reliable unit that can provide a few more horses over standard.

I would far prefer collection to postage as it's rather heavy with the exhaust manifold. I'm based in Reading, Berkshire.

This is essentially a MD345 "Stage 1 Hybrid" modified PD130 turbo.

MD345 - Stage 1 Hybrid Turbo comprises:

• Hi flow GT20 compressor wheel
  • Re-profiled compressor housing to suit
  • 360 degree thrust bearing
  • Modified turbine wheel blades to reduce backpressure
  • Blueprinting of turbo to motorsport standards
  • Estimated Power Output: Approx 200-220 BHP

Cost new: £882.

Link: http://www.turbodyna...nes-p-2696.html

Now reduced to £300 + postage

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 2

Yeah, in reading up about how to advertise this, I discovered that VA = PD130, VB = PD150.

I've just found the Turbo Dynamics sticker on it.

130430_HybridTurbo_03-S.jpg

Speaking to them to see if they have any further information which I'll add.

Turbo Dynamics have got back to me (great customer service from Adrian :))

This is essentially a MD345 "Stage 1 Hybrid".

MD345 - Stage 1 Hybrid Turbo comprises:

Hi flow GT20 compressor wheel

Re-profiled compressor housing to suit

360 degree thrust bearing

Modified turbine wheel blades to reduce backpressure

Blueprinting of turbo to motorsport standards

Estimated Power Output: Approx 200-220 BHP

Cost new: £882.

Link: http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/md345-stage-1-hybrid-turbo-for-vag-19tdi-130bhp-engines-p-2696.html

• 3 weeks later...

If the chap from leicester can't make it to Bedford, I'll be heading to Telford via M6 after Bedford, which might aid collection of the turbo. :) I'll be passing the other end of the M69

I'll let you know if it falls through. I haven't heard back from walejase yet, but he probably doesn't have access to brisky during the day :)

Funny how all the interest (here and PMs) has been from people either from Wales or who have a wale in their name :giggle:

Why? You'd be tempted otherwise? :)

Yes mate extremely tempted, such a good price! Still debating selling my ornament (gsxr600) and going to Darkside for a GTB Turbo kit!