DRLs have gone off

Right, I've had a quick look at the bulbs, in situ.

Also looked at the fuse panel (gave me a headache) and played with the DRL switch.

In the last couple of weeks (can't be sure when, as I haven't driven in the dark), my DRLs have switched off.

I don't think it was as far back as the service (Feb/Mar time), so don't think it was any sort of update.

I haven't checked the book for the exact fuse, but they all looked ok. bulbs looked ok, but my suspicion is they have had the whatsits smashed out of them on our wonderfully maintained local roads (it may be a "rally" special, but it doesn't like bumps...).

Has anyone had the same, or have any suggestions for me, before I start skinning knuckles poking around in the DRL housings?

Sorry, thought the question was about a vRS and not a Monte.

So ignore whats below.

NOW EDITED OUT>

No idea about Monte Parking Lights and what Bulb lights up.

Does a DRL come on or does the Monte use a single front Sidelight for a 'Parking Light'?

** Were you meaning there is a switch to disable the DRL's on the Monte, and you are pretty sure they should be activated automatically when the ignition is on.

Do the DRL's normally switch off totally when the Headlights are switched on?

george

Thanks guys and things I need to check.

George - the DRLs come (came) on when you turned on ignition, hence comment about driving in the dark - I would see the lights on the garage door. Fogs are in the same cluster, but haven't checked them yet.

The DRLs turn off when you switch to headlights (or side lights I believe).

I noticed this when Mrs PDIBK drove the Monte in to the drive when I was piloting the Golf the other day.

More checks to be done...also I need to read the book to find the right fuse to check to rule that out.

The switch I found in the fuse panel is the one I assume others have talked about in various threads, a black rocker switch with a front fog type inscription on it. I played with that, in case the garage had helpfully turned them off (as others on here have said theirs dosen't have the DRLs activated from new). No dice.

Make sure switch is pushed to passenger side with ignition off then if that doesn't work try checking the fuse 7.5anp fuse its the smaller section of fuses top row furthest right or closest to the switch which ever u prefer lol

Checked the fogs this morning - all good.

Then I checked the fuse this morning (open panel, develop headache, do the non-bloke thing and open manual, read diagram, headache worsens, read diagram again, as it looks upside down, use the version for right hand drive this time, still check the wrong fuse first time round...finally get the right one) - it's gawn...

Now to get a new fuse. WHY NO SPARES YOU PIKEYS!!!

Changed the fuse.

Still no lights.

I'm now wondering whether a blown bulb would cause (or could have caused) the fuse to blow.

So next up is the removing grill panels and skinning knuckles phase!

Sorry, thought the question was about a vRS and not a Monte.

So ignore whats below.

NOW EDITED OUT>

No idea about Monte Parking Lights and what Bulb lights up.

Does a DRL come on or does the Monte use a single front Sidelight for a 'Parking Light'?

** Were you meaning there is a switch to disable the DRL's on the Monte, and you are pretty sure they should be activated automatically when the ignition is on.

Do the DRL's normally switch off totally when the Headlights are switched on?

george

When side lights are a bulb is ilumination where the main beam would be on a chrome headlamp unit.

On the monte the DRLs can be switch off ir by a switch by the fuse that are by your right knee so to speak.

If the switch is on then as u say they will illuminate untill another source is used (be it sidelight or headlight)

Bulb shouldn't blow fuse do you have standard bulbs fitted? Have you flicked the switch across after changing fuse? Has new fuse blown? And no need 2 skin nuckles pull trim of push tab in and light pops out simples lol

Edited by Red rover

Red Rover - all checked yesterday - stunned at how easy it was to pull of grill panels and pop spring clips.

Bulbs are standard and all intact (to my untrained eye - the filament stretched from one side to the other).

This morning, as someone in the office joked, I checked the fuse - it had blown again.

So, unless someone has a genius idea, it's dealer time!!

Red Rover - all checked yesterday - stunned at how easy it was to pull of grill panels and pop spring clips.

Bulbs are standard and all intact (to my untrained eye - the filament stretched from one side to the other).

This morning, as someone in the office joked, I checked the fuse - it had blown again.

So, unless someone has a genius idea, it's dealer time!!

Take bulb out and put it in the rear tail cluster to see if it works , do both drls not work? If so its an issue with the switch or fuse

If its blown again and your bulbs are ok I'd say you have a wire'ing issue prob best taking it 2the garage if your unsure what your doing easy way 2 check which side is take 1bulb out replace fuse does the other side come on? Then vise versa narrows it down to which side fault is on and always make sure keys out of ignition when fitting bulbs or fuses as I found out when putting led bulbs in the drl's lol

PDIBK, my DRLs kept turning off on my old Fabia vRS and turned out the DRL switch itself was borked, in fact had been broken since new. DRLs would work for a period of time then would randomly just stop working, tweaking the switch would resolve things for a while then they'd pack in again, sometimes bumps in the road etc were enough to turn them off.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a mite busy, so no updates.

It's booked in for the 28th (couldn't get a courtesy car until then) as they thought from on phone diagnosis that it could be wiring.

Bulbs look fine, I'm not fiddling around sticking them in other units to test them, that's what warranty is for. Two fuses blew, without an obvious coming back on and blowing moment.

So, currently I am driving around in the dark, in the day. It makes you remember about miserable days in the rain and turning some lights on...

Most people still turn Lights on in the Day in poor visibility, dark, rain etc. Or they should.

DRL's are lights that come on automatic with the ignition, those will come on in clear weather showing to the front, nothing to the rear, they come on without lights on that might be needing to be on,

they are not some replacement for using Headlights and sidelights when conditions require.

george

George - I know.

To expand...

As I know I now have DRLs on, from turning the key, I don't (make that didn't, til the critters stopped working) turn on my lights as often. I use them more for front increased awareness projection than to give more illumination to the rear.

If vis is really bad, I will - as much for the muppets behind as for the ones to the front who may appreciate knowing where I am while they attempt to overtake another HGV/Horsebox/Caravan/OAP doing 30 in a 60, pull out from a junction with 50yds to go... you get the idea - turn on the lights (dipped beam, no point in sidelights IMO).

Now the DRLs are inop. I have to remember that and stick the lights on more.

In other news, the lack of DRLs has coincided with an uplift in economy.

I am now getting closer to 55mpg average than the previous almost 50mpg.

Coincidence? Or is it Winter fuel changed for normal? Or the Standing water on nursery route drained, reducing the amount of time wading through 6 inches of water in a wetsuit and snorkel fitted?

I'll humour myself and go for the DRL off = more economy option! ;-)

Never driven with DRL's on,

but i have my Lights on most of the winter and have never ever seen the Average or Current MPG

on a vehicle move as i switch the lights on or off.

I maybe save fuel by trying to use the brakes very seldom. So that will be reducing those brighter bulbs at the rear coming on.

Thats maybe saving a few pence per day.

Penny just dropped as to why many of those BMW & Audi drivers never indicate,

money saving measure so that they can lease more expensive cars.

Does not answer for why the Mercs have about 6-8 lights showing to the front daytime or in poor light,

and none lit to the rear.

george

I've turned the drl's OFF.

When lights need to be on I turn on the dipped headlights which means the rear lights, which are also needed,are on.

IMO drl's are a fashion accessory,they have become a showroom selling feature.

Like auto lights,auto wipers and keyless entry I don't need them.

• Like 1

Sadly XK those nice men in Brussels (I assume) have dictated that DRLs are law. So they're on all new cars. Some cars have had them a bit longer. Some of Scandinavian origin have been doing it for ever (although I can't remember if Volvo DRLs ever had rear lights on too).

The point (as I understand it) is to give better awareness forward. I guess someone did some research and showed that people pulling out, coming towards you, pedestrians crossing etc needed more awareness of a car than someone behind you who should see that a car is there. I mean if you think about it logically (I watched Star Trek last night - the 2009 one...), if you're stationary (in traffic), you will probably have your brake lights on. If you're stationary parked, you will be to the side of the road. If you're driving along, it is unlikely someone will rear end you at speed and then claim they never saw you.

If visibility deteriorates too much (circa less than 2-300m), then it's lights on for everyone to see better (driver included). However, (caveat - IMHO), drivers, as with other things, are becoming lazier. SO lights don't go on - why I drove the other day in driving rain, low cloud, properly crappy day. Maybe 1 in 3 cars oncoming to me had no form of lights, not even DRLs now mandated for new cars. That kind of backs up the argument for DRLs (to help lazy drivers be seen by others and hopefully reduce accident rates), but maybe that argument is contrary to Darwinism...as long as you can guarantee that the improved safety system will help the person lit up like a christmas tree when the one driving in the semi-darkness and adverse weather still runs into them!

DRL's have to be fitted by manufacturers from Feb 2011, not used.

They are not on 'All new cars',

they are on all new Type Approved cars since Feb 2011. A New Mini bought today has no DRL's.

As you know there are those driving and think that they have lights on Automatically. and already many DRL's are faulty.

Not much different from those that have driven just with Sidelights on for years and never know one is out/faulty.

Funny that Skoda and others are building cars that do not show when bulbs are out,( ie DRL's have stopped working/faulty, not switched off.)

but most drivers think the car will tell them.

Actually, as you said, you never knew yours were not working or when they stopped working.

Drivers not only need to switch on lights, they need to go round the car and check they work.

Funnily i see many police cars with no ligthts on in poor weather or visability or faulty lights, around Tayside.

Always waiting to be stopped by one of those so i can point it out to them.

http://www.theaa.com...ing-lights.html

On a vRS you can drive with Sidelights on and other drivers may think that is DRL's, & there are at least rear lights on.

actually as Sidelights they are that bright that with the Headlights people often think you also have on Fog or driving Lights on.

That is how bonkers Skoda are.

Style over function or practicality.

The Light unit that is DRL's & Sidelights is not at the same brightness when on as Sidelights.

No Fog Lights fitted as standard and no option of them in 2010-2013 on a Warm (hot) Hatch.

george