About to order 1.2Petrol Automatic Elegance

Wiganyeti

Hi This is my first post ,

I am looking to place an order for a 1.2 Petrol automatic with following options Spare wheel , Floor mats , front parking sensors, Amundsen Sat nav with Dab radio, 12 speaker sound system, heated screen and Life shine . (I am planning on getting the standard non metallic paint)

I would appreciate any comments on:

1:My above selection have I missed any not to be done without option , have I included any that are not worth having

2: I am looking to buy the car from a dealer not off the internet, what sort of discount should I be able to get?

I'd say forget paying the dealer for lifeshine. Do it yourself if you must have it, and save some money

I used a broker (Carfile) who put me in touch with a dealer. You get discount on the extras as well as on the car.

Its worth looking on a few online broker sites to get an idea of discount and you can then try negotiating with a local dealer based on that. My local dealer couldnt get anywhere near the price I got from Carfile though.

Hi and welcome Wiganyeti. All options are nice, but here's my personal take: I have a 1 year old 1.4 Elegance and find the standard speaker setup quite adequate, the car has low background noise on the move so you need perhaps less audio level than you might think. Lifeshine is nice to have, but the materials and labour cost the dealer roughly £100 and the rest is commission (which explains why they are so keen to promote it) so try to negotiate this one down or go to an independent valeter. Discounts depend on a whole host of factors, shopping around is the only option. You may find as I did that discounts are more modest in an affluent area and vice-versa. The dealer I settled on managed within a few percent of internet broker quotes, and I was happy with that. Since then they have been very responsive to minor items, though I have yet to have a service.

• Like 2

I can't recommend the 12 speaker sound system enough. Listened to both std one and mine back to back and there is a lot missing in the mid range with yge std one. Plus you get an amplifier as well. Well worth it.

The Yeti is not quiet (compared to my previous BMW 5 series)

As for options, well I have them all. :lol:

I like the Haldex 4x4 on my car :lol:

My joint favourite is one not on the options list, a flappy paddle multi function steering wheel which I had retro fitted.

The other must be the electric seat. Perfect seating position.

I just love the way the car parks itself using park assist.

I like the Columbus Sat Nav, it is my 2nd in a Skoda.

The heated windscreen is great in cold weather.

The tyre pressure monitor is okay, but I hate having blank buttons.

I have the 6 speed DSG gearbox in my diesel which is great, and I understand the 7 speed one in the 1.2tsi is great too.

The rough road package has saved the underside of the car, and the tow bar is great for pulling the parents caravan.

Which options are best?

The ones you want!!!!

A TapaTalk enabled phone was used to write this...

Good choice of engine and gearbox combination.

Good choice of Elegance and options. Assuming you don't want to go mad.

Don't buy Lifeshine. (unless it's heavilly discounted)

Cheaper to give (or get) the car a good polish.

Hard to give an exact figure on the internet, but if the dealer is not willing to haggle just walk away and try another.

One thing I would add is the Electric seat, but it's not cheap.

It does give you a wider range of adjustment, making it more comfortable.

But if the standard range suits you then possibly not worth spending the extra £500.

• Like 1

Just a thought about the dim and distant future when it is time to part company.

Recently had a part ex quote on my Octavia Elegance (extras are sport suspension, 17" wheels, MDI, MFSW, maxidot, leather, curtain airbags)

Quote "the extras don't add much to the part ex price"

But "Do you have the spare key? If it is missing then around £2-300 off the part ex." This was actually the first thing he asked!

and on seeing the Life Shine sticker in the windscreen a big smile and "Oh! You have Lifeshine - that helps the value..." Bit of a pitch to encourage getting Lifeshine on the next car?

Salesman's B.S.?

Finally a thought on Lifeshine

I appreciate that some folk spend hours cleaning their pride and joy to achieve perfection and don't want anyone who applies lower standards to touch their pristine bodywork. I fully understand that and am somewhat in awe of the trouble they take but I am not the world's most enthusiatic car washer. Gets washed maybe half a dozen times per year and is waxed once per year. I don't know how much lifeshine has helped but the dirt does just seems to fall off this car, leaving the car VERY shiney and water in large beads even without a wax.

PLUS You get a big bag full of Autoglym products that are more than enough to keep me going over 3 yrs and I still have some stuff unopened - don't even know what it's for!! :rofl:

Edit: Except. Come Christmas. "Oh he's just bought a new car. Know what we can get him..." Probably explains why I still have so much Autoglym stuff in the garage :giggle:

Is the car you are ordering an Elegance? You don't say. (OOPS just noticed the thread title! It IS an Elegance) The Elegance is good value for what you get over an SE. And if you want the Amundsen why not get the SE+ which has that as standard?

As to the front parking sensors: they are fantastic to have. But for a small amount more you might as well add the full Park Assist. Some people never use theirs but if you parallel park a lot (like I do living in London) it is a great feature.

I would also not get the Lifeshine from a dealer but go get it yourself from somewhere else OR put it on yourself.

The reason I am against "lifeshine" is that is has a large dealer mark up on.

It gets sploshed on your car fairly quickly, but (IMO) more than 100% mark up.

By all means get it, but haggle.

• Like 1

I'd say forget paying the dealer for lifeshine. Do it yourself if you must have it, and save some money

I used a broker (Carfile) who put me in touch with a dealer. You get discount on the extras as well as on the car.

Its worth looking on a few online broker sites to get an idea of discount and you can then try negotiating with a local dealer based on that. My local dealer couldnt get anywhere near the price I got from Carfile though.

I negotiated a special price for the Lifeshine via the dealer, £100 and the product in the kit they supplied must be worth more than that. Ok I did not get a discount on the car but going through the dealer it actually arrived 3 months earlier than what the broker quoted me for a deliver via that route and I was not prepared to wait that long. Have you got your delivery date yet Marie as I think going the broker route may save you some cash initially you can get problems with deliveries, indifferent attitude by dealer servicing etc. and the possibility of what happened to poor old Dinski when his car arrived.

Have you got your delivery date yet Marie as I think going the broker route may save you some cash initially you can get problems with deliveries, indifferent attitude by dealer servicing etc. and the possibility of what happened to poor old Dinski when his car arrived.

Hmmm... where to start? You are allowed to service your car anywhere. You are even allowed to service it yourself as long as you can prove you used genuine parts. No effect on the warranty. So not sure what you mean by "indifferent attitude by dealer servicing". As to "delivery problems" I'm also unaware of any as with Marie's broker (and mine having been Drivethedeal) you deal with them for 2 or 3 emails and from then on you deal with a standard Škoda dealer. So again, makes no sense what you are saying sorry. As to the Dinski saga: again no bearing here as that was self inflicted by him and again has nothing to do with brokers or really dealers. Dinski forced his dealer into a corner and well the dealer did what he did as he had the full right to.

• Like 3

I negotiated a special price for the Lifeshine via the dealer, £100 and the product in the kit they supplied must be worth more than that.

Its available for £20 ish online (and very easy to apply), I paid £50 to have the dealer do it but to be honest, wished id have saved the money and done things myself from day 1 on the paintwork.

OP - Sounds like a good spec - I like the audio upgrade but the panoramic sunroof is by far my favourite option - not all see its worth however. You should aim for circa 11% discount on the car from a dealer. :)

• Like 1

You should aim for circa 11% discount on the car from a dealer. :)

Depends what you get as p/x (if you are p/x-ing) - as has frequently been pointed out, the 'price to change' is what counts and it's really immaterial whether it's made up of good p/x and poor discount, good discount and poor p/x, or reasonable discount and p/x.

I negotiated a special price for the Lifeshine via the dealer, £100 and the product in the kit they supplied must be worth more than that. Ok I did not get a discount on the car but going through the dealer it actually arrived 3 months earlier than what the broker quoted me for a deliver via that route and I was not prepared to wait that long. Have you got your delivery date yet Marie as I think going the broker route may save you some cash initially you can get problems with deliveries, indifferent attitude by dealer servicing etc. and the possibility of what happened to poor old Dinski when his car arrived.

I know it seems like longer but its only 5 weeks since I ordered so no I dont have a delivery date yet, but my dealer gives me weekly updates. The broker only emailed me once then it's been dealer contact ever since. My cost to change is £2800 less than the local dealer price so I'm not complaining. And all the extras I've ordered have been discounted too, even when I've added more later.

Many thanks to all who took time to respond

I will take note of all of your comments

Unless I can get a very good discount on the Life shine option I will not bother it was suggested that it would reduce the risk of scratches in the non metallic paint finishes, I did consider the electric seat ( Current Mondeo Ghia x has it on both front seats) but thought not worth extra £500, did not consider I would have a lot of use for the Park assist or the rough road package.

The comments you guys make in this forum is one of the main reasons the Yeti is top of my list , I had a test drive in a 1.2 manual and was very impressed with the power and overall comfort and appearance

Thanks again I will keep you posted on my final decision

My (rather late) contribution is:

Sound System - I'm no audiophile so didn't so much go for it for improved mid-range etc. but more for the options it opens up on the Bolero.

These are an equalizer (doesn't really concern me as I listen to a wide range of music, so leave it on linear - might be more use if you are a fan of a particular type of music) and also a surround sound optimiser (driver only, front seats only, or whole car) - this, for me, makes it worth the money alone as there's no faffing around with fader & balance controls (they're still there, of course, should you need them).

It might be worth checking out if you get the same advantages with the Amundsen.

Life Shine - I bought a kit (PDI only - not the take-away goodies) for about £17 from E-Bay & can echo what Eccleshill has said, in that the Bodywork Gloss Shield is simply the best thing I have applied to any car. It's dead easy to apply & water beads off it like nothing else I've ever seen. Whether you want to pay someone else to apply it can only be your call, but I would recommend its use.

Edit, P.S: I was originally very cynical that the Life Shine 'Gloss Shield' was just a re-named version of the retail 'Extra Gloss Protection' but, having used both, I can confirm that the Life Shine version appears (to me) far superior.

Edit, P.P.S: Brokers: Please note that DTD no longer offer Skodas - whether this is due to Skoda's action or theirs, I've no idea. It will mean that the remaining brokers will benefit from greater volumes (& perhaps be able to offer even greater discounts) - I wonder if this will also cause them issues with vehicle allocations???

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

Any particular reason for not going with metallic paint? Barring white I'd expect this to affect 2nd hand desirability.

I know it seems like longer but its only 5 weeks since I ordered so no I dont have a delivery date yet, but my dealer gives me weekly updates. The broker only emailed me once then it's been dealer contact ever since. My cost to change is £2800 less than the local dealer price so I'm not complaining. And all the extras I've ordered have been discounted too, even when I've added more later.

Yes you seem to have done well there, the other reason I shyed away from the broker route was none of them I tried could get the model in Rosso Brunello and they all wanted to tie the deal to a finance or balloon final payment method. I preferred not to go down the finance route and pay on collection. As well as the Lifeshine at £100, they did agree a three year service plan without being tied into the Skoda finance so not all was bad..

Thanks again for your comments ,the life shine is looking less and less like something I will pay the dealer to do, the only reason for going with the non metallic paint is not wanting to inflate the price any more, can not make my mind up which of the Red, White and Blue I prefer

As for floor mats, I bought a set of tailor made rubber mats from carmats.co.uk for £35

I don't have my yeti to try them in as yet, but they do look impressive and should be easy to clean.