Help with getting replacement headlamps to a Brisky member in Peru

Art'noon all,

As part of an earlier thread a Brisky in Peru (Tenorio74) asked for help in locating a pair of replacement headlamps for his 1999 L&K Octy.

I managed to find some new from a German ebayer:

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2736&_nkw=1U1941017B+

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2736&_nkw=1U1941018B+

but despite some serious begging from me he won't ship either to Peru or to the UK :(

I'm hoping SKS (some kind soul) amongst our mainland Europe membership can help, please?

I'm looking for either alternative suppliers (at a reasonable price) who will ship to Peru OR a kind volunteer in Europe who will receive & then forward the headlamps on to Peru.

All costs naturally paid up front.

Can anyone help, please?

Regards, Mike

hi mike, are none of the polish or Cz sellers (who will ship to the uk), try ebay pl and cz, see if they are listing these. Plently of overseas sellers will ship, and then you can resend to peru onwards to our latino friend.

Point is that while this can be done, prices are extraordinarily high. A new orig headlamp for L&K is £150 (just for the one), and the packaging CZ -> Peru is another £90 without insurance by post and £120 by DPD, so we're looking at some £400 for the whole thing. That excludes direction lights.

I, myself, wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the idea, but if something went wrong, I don't feel like being responsible such big a loss.

Found a Czech motorparts website but the "English" button doesn't work very well :(

Can anyone find out of these guys can supply & ship & for what prices, please?

http://automeisner.cz/

Right & left headlamps for left-hand drive 1999 Octavia L&K part numbers 1U1941017B & 1U1941018B.

Regards, Mike

PS Thanks demonufo :)

Found a Czech motorparts website but the "English" button doesn't work very well :(

Can anyone find out of these guys can supply & ship & for what prices, please?

http://automeisner.cz/

Right & left headlamps for 1999 Octavia L&K part numbers 1U1941017B & 1U1941018B.

Regards, Mike

Are those part numbers for right hand drive beam, or left hand drive?

• Like 1

Are those part numbers for right hand drive beam, or left hand drive?

Left-hand drive.

Regards, Mike

What about this? These guys seem to ship to Peru via DHL.

http://seekpart24.com/skoda/octavia-1u2-96/1-4-10881/headlight-insert-100433

Ad Auto Meisner: They don't ship abroad. Czech shops just don't do that. With the exception of Slovakia, which used to be the same country.

Edited by sheldon_cz

What about this? These guys seem to ship to Peru via DHL.

http://seekpart24.co...t-insert-100433

I've emailed them to see if they can help.

Ad Auto Meisner: They don't ship abroad. Czech shops just don't do that. With the exception of Slovakia, which used to be the same country.

So they won't ship to anywhere else except Czech & Slovakia? Strange. I found their original details on a "we sell to the US" trade site :(

Mind you, the only email address I could find for them (via whois) bounces as the mailbox is full ...

Thanks for looking anyway.

Regards, Mike

I've emailed them to see if they can help.

I was thinking about just selecting the head lamps, ordering and selecting Peru as the destination via DHL.

So they won't ship to anywhere else except Czech & Slovakia? Strange. I found their original details on a "we sell to the US" trade site :(

Not a word about the US. Are you sure it's the right Meisner?

Thanks for looking anyway.

No problem.

Hi all, this was actually supposed to post 5 hrs ago...:p

First of all, sincere thanks Mike for your help, and the whole forum. My Octy is such a trooper, that my only regret is that I haven't access to spares.

Sheldon, if I understand right, your estimate would be:

1. 150 (lamp) + 90 (regular uninsured post) = 240

or

2. 150 (lamp) + 120 (DPD delivery - is this like UPS or Fedex) = 270

or is it 150+90+120??

***UPDATE just read the whole thread now... so it's 169+60 euro? That's about $300 US, which would be about $470 LESS what I'm qouted here.... So we're getting somewhere

Mike btw, I checked the ebay link again, and they're at 75 EUR? Could that be right? If that's the price I'd have them bought and sent to the Peruvian consulate in Berlin, as I could probably find someone travellling here given some months time - that is, if the eBay seller is genuine...

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it.

Augusto

Edited by Tenorio74

http://www.ebay.de/i...redirect=mobile

€169 + €60 shipping to Peru.

Thanks Frisco! I just finished sunday lunch with my daughter, and took a sec to look at that eBay link. If it's a legitimate deal, it's just what I need! =DI don't speak german so I'm roughing it out with google translator... But the deal would be so much cheaper than the originally located lamps on the web... I'm always a bit of a skeptic... But as said, there's no better option because I was thinking of buying the whole set anyway.

My only indecision is should I request shipping, or have the lamps sent to the embassy (my father was a diplomat, so eventually someone he knows would -I guess- be coming from Germany... Patience is a virtue).

Does anyone else have any thoughts on that link? It look ok to you guys???

Thanks all,Augusto

Not a word about the US. Are you sure it's the right Meisner?

Even quoted his website ...

Mike btw, I checked the ebay link again, and they're at 75 EUR? Could that be right? If that's the price I'd have them bought and sent to the Peruvian consulate in Berlin, as I could probably find someone travellling here given some months time - that is, if the eBay seller is genuine...

I believe the price is correct and I've emailed the seller - just he won't ship to UK or Peru :(

Martin is checking up on the items, prices & vendor and will report back once he has some news.

Regards, Mike

Thanks Frisco! I just finished sunday lunch with my daughter, and took a sec to look at that eBay link. If it's a legitimate deal, it's just what I need! =DI don't speak german so I'm roughing it out with google translator... But the deal would be so much cheaper than the originally located lamps on the web... I'm always a bit of a skeptic... But as said, there's no better option because I was thinking of buying the whole set anyway.

My only indecision is should I request shipping, or have the lamps sent to the embassy (my father was a diplomat, so eventually someone he knows would -I guess- be coming from Germany... Patience is a virtue).

Does anyone else have any thoughts on that link? It look ok to you guys???

Thanks all,Augusto

From what Martin said earlier shipping to Peru from Germany was around 50-60 Euro, so it looks like either of the ebay sellers would be about the same price delivered.

As regards shipping to your embassy vs shipping to Lima, are you comfortable with goods coming into Lima for you? No problems with Customs or stuff going missing?

Regards, Mike

From what Martin said earlier shipping to Peru from Germany was around 50-60 Euro, so it looks like either of the ebay sellers would be about the same price delivered.

As regards shipping to your embassy vs shipping to Lima, are you comfortable with goods coming into Lima for you? No problems with Customs or stuff going missing?

Regards, Mike

Not sure, I've never brought stuff for my Octy that way. Shouldn't go missing really.... And as for customs, I will pay the needed taxes as it's illegal to import used auto parts (courier, dhl, luggage or otherwise). I'm not really sure how it works when something comes via DHL etc. from europe, addressed to an individual. I will have to get in touch with customs people to figure that out.

Also tomorrow I will be asking my father if we know anyone in the embassy in Berlin, as that would be the safer option I reckon.

Keeping my fingers crossed either way! :happy: And if this works out, there's a lot of other stuff I'm going to be bringing over!!! :clap:

Thanks!

Augusto

What Frisco has here are with 99% chance aftermarket lights, probably made in Poland or China. If you're OK with the fact that quality is not guaranteed, proceed with the purchase. I, personally, would recommend buying lamps made by Hella or the original ones. Unfortunately, they cost £150 each, i. e. 2x150 + shipping.

Well yeah they would be spurious parts. The only way to get genuine for that money is to buy second hand and that's where you run into shipping trouble or things not being packaged properly etc etc.

Martin is checking up on the items, prices & vendor and will report back once he has some news.

Items are not original Skoda so they're either OEM parts that never made it to Skoda or pattern parts. "Official" Skoda lamps are 400 Euros each.

Regards, Mike

OK, so I'll wait and hear from Martin, while I figure out if I could have whichever sent to the embassy en Berlin.

If the lamps are dubious and maybe wouldn't be reliable, then I guess I would get Hella or Original (seeing as I and you guys are going to all this trouble, and they will be all the way over here!), there being only about a ±€175 euro difference for both lamps and blinkers.

Let see what comes up about these lamps. Does anyone have any aftermarket stuff like this so as to comment on quality?

Thanks,

Augusto

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, okay this is the update:

1. OEM Skoda lamps in Chile = USD 940 to import, so they're just as expensive as here in Peru.

2. At the time being, I have no one at the embassy in Germany to receive the original lamps. =(

3. Aftermarket lamps in Chile I have found to be just as inexpensive as they are in Europe (approx. USD 75 x lamp) - I asked, they're Taiwanese (I have a Taiwanese friend who always makes me notice Taiwan is NOT China =D )

My train of though is as follows: If the lamps are not "optimum quality", I guess the parts most sensitive to "failure" would be the electrical components (plugs, levelling motor, etc.)

I would also assume (although I cannot be 100% certain), that the fittings for the bulbs and motor are the same. Therefore seeing as those parts of my lamps are intact, I could swap the electricals onto the chinese body. The experiment would cost me about USD 150.

If not, my only other option is to buy the OEM or Hella lamps via eBay or whatever, and see if Mike's friend in Germany would be so kind as to ship me the parts.

Does this make sense? Any thoughts? I've attached a diagram that got me thinking this...

Cheers,

Augusto

post-102166-0-25223600-1368639264_thumb.png

Edited by Tenorio74

hi mate,

either do what you said, swap your lamp internals to the taiwanese lamps, so its just the cheap unit you are using, (a casing is just a casing) as long as its made properly, i guess it cant really go too wrong.

or if it helps, i dont mind having them sent to me, and sending them on to you?