2012 Octavia vRS climatronic air con not cooling?

Had my car just over a week and now that the weather is starting to warm up a bit I have realised the air con feels like it is not pumping out cold air. If I set the dials to the lowest setting should I expect the air to be really cold?

It is about 14.5 degrees outside so it is quite difficult to tell if the air is cold enough. It feels slightly colder with the aircon off than it does on at the same fan setting but this might just be my imagination, should it feel really quite a lot colder?

Is it possible to reset the system as mentioned on the forum? The controls do not have an ECON button so I assume the info I can find on here is referring to older cars.

Cheers.

Edited by Floridadaz

Had my car just over a week and now that the weather is starting to warm up a bit I have realised the air con feels like it is not pumping out cold air. If I set the dials to the lowest setting should I expect the air to be really cold?

It is about 14.5 degrees outside so it is quite difficult to tell if the air is cold enough. It feels slightly colder with the aircon off than it does on at the same fan setting but this might just be my imagination, should it feel really quite a lot colder?

Is it possible to reset the system as mentioned on the forum? The controls do not have an ECON button so I assume the info I can find on here is referring to older cars.

Cheers.

Not to sound daft but you have pressed the AC button and is lit havent you?

Not sure exactly why but VAG changed the default behaviour of its AC systems a few years ago. Both Climatic and Climatronic systems a few years back used to run AC by default and you actually had to disable it by pressing the ECON button, now AC doesnt come on by default in most cases (definitely does if you select windscreeb demisting though) and you actually have to switch on the AC.

Chances are you've set it to low but without the compressor enabled you'll just get regular air temperature and no refrigerated air........either that or you have a refrigerant leak or a broken compressor. Compressors are a VAG AC weak point and its not uncommon for them to fail, had one go on a 3 year old Golf MK6 and others have experienced failures much earlier.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Yes the AC light is on. Air just feels like the outside air temp but a bit hard to tell when it is blowing. If it should blow really cold on the lowest setting then it looks like a trip back to Skoda.

I had the same feeling earlier but now I regret I did not go to Skoda because air con not working and warranty past away a few month ago! Defo back to dealer!

• Like 1

My VRS is less than two years old & taken in for first service on its variable (18.5k)

I'd noticed that the AC wasn't performing & mentioned it at the service desk to be told the AC probably needs a re-gas & its not covered by your warranty :sweat: . They needed to re-gas it to test & wanted £75 for the privilege, told them to forget it. Turns out Skoda are doing a full AC service & re-gas for £49.99 so I took mine to a local dealer who serviced the AC, gave the car a health check, wash & vacuum for £49.99, its now working ok.

• Like 1

I did wonder about that but mine is only a year old and if all the gas has leaked out then that must be a warranty fault. I took the cap off the low side valve and some small bubbles were forming round the valve, this may be where it is leaking (assuming it is).

Does the compressor have a clutch off the drive belt so I can see if the pump is being driven or is it permanently driven?

UPDATE! Had the car into Skoda and diagnosed as leaking Condenser (all gas leaked out). They said it is a common fault and the warranty replacement is a different manufacturer. Its splits on a brazed seam apparently. They had just done one not long before mine went in.

My cars in to Mitchell's at Cheshire oaks Tuesday for investigation. Not to convinced by the service managers attitude to not being covered by warranty and expensive job if its a leak..... And instant default to regas before a pressure check (at £75 which is a rip off).

Is the condenser leak very obvious? Is it a Skoda recorded technical bulletin?

The service person guessed what the fault would be before even seeing the car and then confirmed it with UV dye test. If they are sticking refrigerant gas in knowing that there is likely to be a leak then they are breaking the law.

In my mind if the gas has been lost in a short space of time it cannot be put down to natural leakage and it can only be a warranty fault or stone damage to the condenser.