Which DSG version is on the estate 1.8tsi 4x4 DSG?

Greetings

According to the online manual I retrieved from Skoda.no the mentioned configuration is delivered with a 7-speed DSG.

When I was at my local Skoda dealer the salesman there claimed it was a 6-speed DSG and indeed in his price list it also says 6-speed.

Now I did some research and found out that the volkswagen group has several versions of the DSG.

correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've gathered so far they are as follows:

DQ250 - 6-speed (wet, the original, max torque 350, available for 4x4 with an ad-on component of some sort)

DQ200 - 7-speed (dry, max torque 250, available only for FWD(?))

DQ500 - 7-speed (wet, the newest and most advanced, max torque 500, available for 4x4, sits in the Tiguan for instance)

DL500 - 7-speed (Audi's version of the one above, same characteristics but for longditudinal engines?)

So, I'm guessing it could be the original 6-speed as claimed by the seller. But if the online manual is correct then it would have to be the DQ500 box. I don't know how much this really matters for the driving experience and for the MPG (L/10km) but I would still like to know.

So, do any of you KNOW which one it is?

thanks for the help!

Hmmmm?

Being the possessor of a "Dry" 7 speed, i wonder if this development will turn out to be an evolutionary "dead end"

Could well be the case that fluid cooling is required for the necessary combination of clutch slippage with acceptable clutch pack longivity.

Bugger!

Autocar road tested a 1.8 tsi 180 DSG development mule some time back and it had the 6 speed box. Will be the same wet clutch box as fitted to the more power VW and Skoda cars with a 350nm (supposed) torque limit.

Not sure why they've moved away from the 7 speed, but I can say the wet clutch box is a bit smoother and is designed to handle a bit more power as its able to slip its clutches a bit (thanks to the lubrication). I found the 7 speed car I used to own much less forgiving at low speeds and clutch control was v on-off.

** SOLVED **

I contacted the technical department of Skoda Norway. They confirmed that it is in fact the 6-speed DSG (DQ250-6A) sitting in the 1.8 Tsi 4x4.

Snoreway

Bit of a shame its the older, less efficient unit they're using. The DQ500 feels great in the Tiguan, shame they couldnt have got hold of that 7 speed unit for this application. :(
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

However the front wheel drive version of the new Octavia which also has the 1.8TSI 180 HP (132 kW) engine has a 7 speed DSG. This is mentioned in the brochure as well as in the price list on skoda-auto.no. If one looks at the technical specs there is a funny thing I noticed. For the Octavia sedan this engine produces 250 Nm torque between 1250-5000 rpm while in the station-wagon the engine produces 280 Nm between 1350-4500 rpm. Firstly I wonder whether that is a printing mistake or really true? The more interesting question is which version of the 7 speed DSG have they used in the front wheel drive 1.8 TSI Octavia.

However the front wheel drive version of the new Octavia which also has the 1.8TSI 180 HP (132 kW) engine has a 7 speed DSG. This is mentioned in the brochure as well as in the price list on skoda-auto.no. If one looks at the technical specs there is a funny thing I noticed. For the Octavia sedan this engine produces 250 Nm torque between 1250-5000 rpm while in the station-wagon the engine produces 280 Nm between 1350-4500 rpm. Firstly I wonder whether that is a printing mistake or really true? The more interesting question is which version of the 7 speed DSG have they used in the front wheel drive 1.8 TSI Octavia.

The 4x4 will have 280nm. the fwd 250nm.

Just out of interest: how and why?

As my salesman said. The extra 30nm is to compensate for the extra weight of the 4x4 system.

The 7 speed DQ200 can only handle 184lb ft torque. Not sure it can handle 4wd either so they've stuck the DQ250 6 speed wet box in the 4wd...as it can handle alot more torque they've taken advantage of it.

Personally having had both gearboxes I prefer the DQ250.

Fair enough - but that's 12% more torque. Is the 4WD system really that heavy?

its not just about the 70kg of weight, it takes into account the additional transmission losses.

By the way, VW Australia has just issued a recall of cars fitted with the DQ200 box built between June 2008 and September 2011. I have also heard that the recall will be extended to Octavia and Superb models as well as Audi's using this gearbox. The recall notice states that cars currently being sold are not affected.

Interesting timing for me personally because on Friday I will be changing my DQ200 equipped Golf Wagon after 72,000kms/ 3years of trouble free running, for a DQ250 equipped Yeti 1.8TSI, though this is a programmed replacement of my work car, unconnected with the recall.

Edited by TMfSR