112tsi and 118tsi differences

Snow Fan

So I'm having a few issues trying to find any info on the 112tsi engine in my Australian delivered yeti. Is it the same engine as the 118tsi just detuned? Main reason I'm asking is that I want to do an apr tune and intake so wanna make sure all the claimed power benefits apply to my engine.

Thanks in advance

Detuned? Well I suppose 1200cc as opposed to 1800cc is a form of detuning. Are you Onenote in disguise? :rofl:

• Like 3

Hmmm, different naming convention to ours... im guessing yours relate to a 1200cc and 1800cc capacity? If thats the case then they are totally different engines - materials included. The 1.2 being the older generation unit (iirc EA111) with a small turbo - capable of an additional 20-30bhp with a stage 1 remap. The 1.8 EA888 is far more tuneable - circa 215bhp with a stage 1 map from its standard 160ps. Replace the standard IHI turbo with something like a KO4 and you'll be sitting in good 300bhp + territory - the internals being almost identicle to the 2 litre VRS/GTi TSi lumps. :)

I guess the issue is that the Australian specs are a few KW lower than EU specs, and the question is whether it is really the same engine, or if there are differences. 112KW does not equal 1.2 TSI, 112 KW is 150hp, and 118 KW is 159 HP. Unfortunately I cannot help you with your original question

Well everything I've read says that they are both 1.8 litre engines including my rego papers. And no I'm not an imposter, just got my yeti a few weeks ago.

Ah ok, so your 112 and 118 models relate to the kw rating of engine output? I assumed 112 was 1.2 and 118 was the 1.8 lump. ooops. We get the 152ps and 160ps 1.8tsi engines over here also - I was told they used a slightly different turbo by someone when the 152ps unit arrived later but I dont think thats the case. I think they are just limited slightly by the ECU software to benefit emissions and insurance so effectively the same engine underneath. :)

Detuned? Well I suppose 1200cc as opposed to 1800cc is a form of detuning. Are you Onenote in disguise? :rofl:

Easy to be a smart arse Bobdog but you wrongly assume 112 refers to CC, it does not, it refers to KW as Yetiman correctly notes above.

The Australian spec:

[[Petrol engines

The basic engine for the Yeti is the four-cylinder 1.2-litre TSI 77kW petrol in the front wheel drive version and the 1.8-litre TSI 112kW petrol in the four-wheel drive version.]]

For all the many Poms on this forum you may be interested in the differences in the Australian specs, see

http://www.skoda.com.au/yeti/technical.aspx

I am pondering exactly the same question as OP Snow Fan here in Sydney with my Octavia 118 TSI and the wife's new Yeti 112 TSI (yay) in the driveway, as to why they would slightly detune the engine in the Yeti as compared to the Octavia?

Edited by afterdarker

Our SE+ spec Yeti's, strangely, are the only ones to come with the 112kw version. Our SE, Elegance etc trim levels get the 118kw version - find the sense in that!

• Like 1

I am pondering exactly the same question as OP Snow Fan here in Sydney with my Octavia 118 TSI and the wife's new Yeti 112 TSI (yay) in the driveway, as to why they would slightly detune the engine in the Yeti as compared to the Octavia?

If I recall the 152PS engine came out later with the SE+ trim (in the UK) and was reported to be a Russian spec engine (for lower quality fuel?)...

Three models of the Yeti are sold in Australia: the 77TSI (1.2 litre petrol), the 112TSI (1.8 litre petrol) and the 103TDI (2.0 litre diesel).

The 112TSI with 6sp manual gearbox has a 1.8 litre engine with VW ID code CDAA, and an output of 118kW/160ps/158bhp.

The 112TSI with 6sp DSG has a 1.8 litre engine with VW ID code CDAB, and an output of 112kW/152ps/150bhp.

I believe the 112kW engine in the DSG vehicle is a detuned version of the 118kW engine in the manual car, as stated by OP Snow Fan. Skoda Australia refers to both cars as the 112TSI despite the manual version having 118kW.

Reluctant as I am to quote Wikipedia as an authoritative source of information, the article linked below has a lot of data on Yeti engine options:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Škoda_Yeti

Our SE+ spec Yeti's, strangely, are the only ones to come with the 112kw version. Our SE, Elegance etc trim levels get the 118kw version - find the sense in that!

The determinant of whether the engine is 112kW or 118kW seems to be the DSG gearbox. Am I right in thinking that none of the UK spec 1.8 litre versions have the DSG option?

The determinant of whether the engine is 112kW or 118kW seems to be the DSG gearbox. Am I right in thinking that none of the UK spec 1.8 litre versions have the DSG option?

No. We get the 112kw version for the six speed manual also though. It'll be a importer decision I'd guess but I think the conclusion is, its fundamentally the same engine in both. :)

Just read the wiki page and if its correct there doesn't seem to be any difference. Wondering now we find out if any components are different or the tuning.

Just read the wiki page and if its correct there doesn't seem to be any difference. Wondering now we find out if any components are different or the tuning.

Snow Fan, just found another article, this time about VW group engines: http://en.wikipedia...._petrol_engines

It appears that it is the same engine, and available in various states of tune from 88kW to 125kW, used in everything from the Audi TT to the VW Passat. Look for the section titled "Four cylinder EA888 petrols". There's a fair bit of technical info about the engine as well.

I guess APR should be able to tell you if their ECU upgrades etc are applicable to the specific ECU in the 112TSI Yeti.

Ah, yes, my apologies Snow Fan for my misunderstanding and untoward and uncalled for smartarsedness - clearly I misunderstood you completely. Welcome to the gang ... I shall slink away to my corner in disgrace.

• Like 1

They are the same engine family and as I understood it from various snippets on the net, that the 152 was developed to run on lower octane fuels in the Eastern European market.

TP

TP is right on the money with this one and I'm sure it was discussed on here previously when the 152ps unit came out iirc.

Ah, yes, my apologies Snow Fan for my misunderstanding and untoward and uncalled for smartarsedness - clearly I misunderstood you completely. Welcome to the gang ... I shall slink away to my corner in disgrace.

You do have the best Avatar though, very impressive

TP is right on the money with this one and I'm sure it was discussed on here previously when the 152ps unit came out iirc.

Not sure about "right on the money" because ~

1800 cc 118 Kw TSI Octavia 7 speed DSG uses 95 RON

1800 cc 112 Kw TSI Yeti 6 speed DSG uses 98 RON

These are Australian delivered specs. Does not exactly support the detuned engine for lower octane argument!

You do have the best Avatar though, very impressive

Courtesy of MarieK ... see her other efforts in recent posts in the 'Yeti Spotting ... Result' thread.

Oh, here's the Yeti with a RAV4 engine lover back....

:lol: :lol:

A TapaTalk enabled phone was used to write this...

IGNORE!

Fred

Not you Rockhopper.!

not big differences, both TSI technology so both expire way too soon.

http://www.vwgolf.ne...engine-expired!

Absolutely agree for once! My 1.8TSi expires WAYYYYY too soon 2 or 3 times every day! Happens when I arrive at work and turn the key anticlockwise. I would much rather it kept running to take me grinning with pleasure into the Yorkshire Dales for a blast around the B Roads.

To adress the original question, the 152PS (112kW) 1.8TSi was introduced for the SE+ spec Octavias, Superbs and Yetis. All the technical specs were identical apart from the power output. I wonder if it was done to squeeze them into a lower insurance group.

You can see here in the Superb specs

http://www.skoda.co....ce#.UYyqFaBWnD8

But in the Yeti the 160 is 1mph slower top speed!

http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/yetie/performance#.UYyq2aBWnD8

• Like 1