speed camera van question.

Hey guys.

This isn't your typical "dos it flash if u bin cawt coz i was dooin 150mph 2 tri an outrun it lolz" thread.

I passed a mobile speed trap van while not looking at my speedo until it was too late. I looked down and i was doing 50mph in a 40mph by the looks of it. anyway, I'm not sure if he was manning in the 'gun as I'm not sure if it had flaps (lol...) or if had see through vinyl or some kind of fly eye stuff on the windows.

The two back doors had the white camera sign over the windows so either the flaps where shut or it had some kind of see through vinyl on it.

can anyone shed some light if they do that these days? I'm hoping its flaps as then they where down and i've got a lucky escape! if not then that's me got points and a ban from driving the school busses :(

disclaimer, i know i did wrong but its a pointless bloody 40 zone with no houses and the van was sat at the END of the zone about to go into a 60mph zone. so there...

I think some can see through the window, buddy :( You'll have to sit with buttocks clenched for upto fourteen days. If you haven't received an NIP by then, you're home free ;) If not, you'll have to order one of these off ebay.

post-73816-0-92179400-1368283573_thumb.jpg

disclaimer, i know i did wrong but its a pointless bloody 40 zone with no houses and the van was sat at the END of the zone about to go into a 60mph zone. so there...

Could it have been watching for people crossing from 60 to 40 without slowing fast enough?

I 'passed' one with both of the rear windows closed a year or so ago, got nothing in the post.

I can only assume they had only just arrived and were filling out the required paperwork to use it B)

Edited by Ben90

The vans can only catch people coming face on.

Does this mean the van was on the opposite side of the road? Your right, they take yhe picture showing your front number plate and mug shot so if the van wasn't in position to do that you should be ok, failing that it's a nervious 14 day wait, though even if they have 'got you' you might be offered a speed awareness course at £80 but no points.

The vans can only catch people coming face on.

Not so. The laser devices used in the vans and by the motorcycles can and routinely do work in both directions simutaneously. There is no requirement in UK law for a 'mug shot', though the presence of one has helped in prosecutions for perverting the course of justice.

At 50 in a 40 (which may well be actually 47ish) you would be more likely to be offered a speed awareness course that the fixed penalty notice with 3 points. Depending on the policy of the partnership concerned you might be just under the threashold for any action to be taken. This can vary quite a bit from one area to another.

I think some can see through the window, buddy :( You'll have to sit with buttocks clenched for upto fourteen days. If you haven't received an NIP by then, you're home free ;) If not, you'll have to order one of these off ebay.

post-73816-0-92179400-1368283573_thumb.jpg

Love that sign..

would like one for my rear window... you should start selling them.

Not so. The laser devices used in the vans and by the motorcycles can and routinely do work in both directions simutaneously. There is no requirement in UK law for a 'mug shot', though the presence of one has helped in prosecutions for perverting the course of justice.

At 50 in a 40 (which may well be actually 47ish) you would be more likely to be offered a speed awareness course that the fixed penalty notice with 3 points. Depending on the policy of the partnership concerned you might be just under the threashold for any action to be taken. This can vary quite a bit from one area to another.

As said - only those inside know which direction "enforcement" is being done on . But if your speedo is at the max excess of 10% ,that's you doing 45 , and with ACPO limits ( at worst ) being 10%+1 ( used to be 10%+2, but it varies), 40 limit becomes 45 prosecute, so you may be ok. Else ,there's every good chance of a SAC ( NAG) course as most pratnerships are set up for MAXIMUM profit = getting bums on courses . Their idea is why let Treasury have your cash when they can support their little empire on what treasury don't get .

As said - only those inside know which direction "enforcement" is being done on . But if your speedo is at the max excess of 10% ,that's you doing 45 , and with ACPO limits ( at worst ) being 10%+1 ( used to be 10%+2, but it varies), 40 limit becomes 45 prosecute, so you may be ok. Else ,there's every good chance of a SAC ( NAG) course as most pratnerships are set up for MAXIMUM profit = getting bums on courses . Their idea is why let Treasury have your cash when they can support their little empire on what treasury don't get .

The vans do not enforce the speed limit in a specific direction, they move freely between them and given their long range they can have plenty of time to do so.

ACPO guidelines are still 10%+2 but they are only guidelines and technically they can convict at any speed over the limit but they don't normally aside from apparently some issuing speed awareness courses (but never seen proof of it):

http://www.acpo.poli... Compliant_.pdf

http://www.cps.gov.u...enalty_notices/

John

They're gits - I got caught in a similar situation but have been offered a course to avoid points and fine.

Ten years of safe driving blown away with 6mph over :(

Thank you for that link.

Seemingly i have a Speeding ticket for going 73 MPH in a 60 MPH limit some place i do not remember being last Tuesday.

Need to go check that out.

george

Check the photo to see if it was you driving.

• Like 1

I checked the location and see that its a joke,

others also clocked at 'Gossmore Fraddon',

Well thats a relief.

george

Just read that I was doing over 70 in a 60 at the same place, funny as I was at work lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I often walk past a camera van on a bridge over a primary A road. They park up on one side of the bridge and do both directions at once. To my surprise they also do the road they are parked on - all at the same time! I know a few people who have been caught there assuming they were only doing the A road below.