Low profile tryes 205/45 R16 instead of standard 195/55 R15

Last week ordered a Fabia Estate 1.6 TDI 105 CR Elegance Denim Blue with parking sensors from Skoda Dealer Web Site as already built to avoid 3 month wait to replace Fabia Estate 1.6 TDI 105 CR SE with parking sensors and towbar; which was returned to the dealer for a full refund due to paint damage done by his valeter subcontractor. I had this car for seven weeks before being returned but ordered on 12 Decmber 2012 and arrived at dealer 28 February 2013 but colletect on 15 March.

Question

Do the Low profile tryes 205/45 R16 tyres make for a harder ride? I think that grip in snow will be worse than standard 195/55 R15 tyes due to being wider.

Yes the ride will be harder and yes the snow grip will be reduced....But I wouldn't worry because I believe the differences will be marginal.

I can't remember when I last had 15" wheels, but ride on 205/45/16s fine

Only starts getting remotely bounce when you go up to 205/40/17s

Last week ordered a Fabia Estate 1.6 TDI 105 CR Elegance Denim Blue with parking sensors from Skoda Dealer Web Site as already built to avoid 3 month wait to replace Fabia Estate 1.6 TDI 105 CR SE with parking sensors and towbar; which was returned to the dealer for a full refund due to paint damage done by his valeter subcontractor. I had this car for seven weeks before being returned but ordered on 12 Decmber 2012 and arrived at dealer 28 February 2013 but colletect on 15 March.

Question

Do the Low profile tryes 205/45 R16 tyres make for a harder ride? I think that grip in snow will be worse than standard 195/55 R15 tyes due to being wider.

I ran 17 inch 205s winter tyres in the snow and they were fantastic compared to the summer ones.

I just thought that it would be so much less hassle, insurance wise, to run with the same size and of course the full V speed rating in winters as the summer tyres.

Width difference is very marginal, important thing is to have lots of tread on the snow/winter tyres as they become much less effective when part warn as the edges and grooves wear down.

Mid summers day in a few weeks need to start thinking about next years set.

Bought mine from Openeo http://www.oponeo.co.uk/?gclid=CKW_nM_cj7cCFTMRtAodbw8A3g

£59 delivered (from DE/PL) money well spent. Saved my summer Mich PS3.

I was worried to as my Elegance has the 16's 45 profile. I personally like the ride and find it superior to that of my Merc and Panda. Merc was on 16'S 55 and the Panda was on tiddlers with huge side wall's. My Car sits so well on the road and is Very comfortable. I wouldn't worry.

I shall be getting winter rubber though as mine is a DSG so want as much help as possible in the SNOW.

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone.

I have ran the car for 14 months and done 25K; ride was a little hard compared to the SE model at first but now got use to it and all seems fine.

Regards

Diesel Estate.

Dear All

Dunlop Sport Maxx unobtainable tyres.

Another problem that I have discovered down to Skoda and Mazda ordering Dunlop tyres that are specially made for car production and not for sale on the after market when you need to replace a worn tyre or two.

Dealer fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx RT (asymmetrical tread pattern and harder compound) rather than one of the original Sport Maxx with a symmetrical tread pattern and softer compound to a spare alloy.  I stated that the tyres are not the same; he stated he could not get the Maxx.  Initially, I was skeptical to say the least but contacted my long established family tyre company and this is true not only my Fabia's but also on the Mazda R6?

Question what is the best tyre to use, one with a symmetrical tread pattern or one with an asymmetrical tread pattern (pattern not repeated on both sides with respect to the centre line of the tread).

Thanks.

Dieseal Estate

Edited by Diesel Estate

Dear All

Dunlop Sport Maxx unobtainable tyres.

Another problem that I have discovered down to Skoda and Mazda ordering Dunlop tyres that are specially made for car production and not for sale on the after market when you need to replace a worn tyre or two.

Dealer fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx RT (asymmetrical tread pattern and harder compound) rather than one of the original Sport Maxx with a symmetrical tread pattern and softer compound to a spare alloy.  I stated that the tyres are not the same; he stated he could not get the Maxx.  Initially, I was skeptical to say the least but contacted my long established family tyre company and this is true not only my Fabia's but also on the Mazda R6?

Question what is the best tyre to use, one with a symmetrical tread pattern or one with an asymmetrical tread pattern (pattern not repeated on both sides with respect to the centre line of the tread).

Thanks.

Dieseal Estate

Im abit confused here tbh.

Do all tyres match? Or atleast across the axle?

• Like 1

Dunlop Sport Maxx and Maxx Rt.bmp

Hi

What I mean is that the Maxx tyre tread pattern is repeated twice on the tyre but the Maxx RT is not repeated.  I attach an image of both patterns. 

Technically you can have one Maxx and one RT on the same axle but I think this is not the ideal situation because of the different tread patterns and compounds.

Dieseal Estate

attachicon.gifDunlop Sport Maxx and Maxx Rt.bmp

Hi

What I mean is that the Maxx tyre tread pattern is repeated twice on the tyre but the Maxx RT is not repeated.  I attach an image of both patterns. 

Technically you can have one Maxx and one RT on the same axle but I think this is not the ideal situation because of the different tread patterns and compounds.

Dieseal Estate

Agreed.

Was the work done under warranty?

If so, id be telling (not asking) them that you want both tyres on any axle matching, anything other than this is a risk to your safety and shouldn't be done at all, let alone by a dealer, a professional.

If in doubt, let skoda UK know and see what they have to say.

• 2 months later...

Hi

The tyre supplied was on the spare, I have not used it but the front two now need replacement due to wear and I may buy the Dunlop Maxx RT to match the spare.  When the time comes for the rears to be replaced I will have to buy again Dunlop Maxx RT.

Do any members have a better tyre to recommend for the Fabia 1.6 TDI?

Regards

Diesel Estate