help with skoda , wont fire up.

hi there im driving a 2002 skoda octavia elegance 4x4 1.8t . the problem is it will not fire up now its turns over but wont fire. had it towed to a garage and they have scanned it and its coming up with ( there are what i can remember ) injection 1 2 and 3 fault code. camshaft sensor code. pressure loss code. and i think a few more about 11 in total. the garage has checked for physical wire damage as the codes all say short to ground. at first the faults were permanent so he was going to disconnect the 11 things that the faults were associated with and hope it cleared it but now they are intermittent so hes having trouble finding the problem. he also has had it running but wont start every time. any ideas?

02 sensor number 2 code also. hes thinking all these are connected somewhere along the line?

sometimes the car will start and i will pull out the drive but then it will cut out just the engine not everything. then it will be fine the rest of the day. it has done this maybe 10-15 times over 3 or 4 months.

Edited by discusdan
  • Like 1

As with others i'd suggest crank sensor but have you noticed the issue affecting cold or warm starting? I had a similar issue on my mk2 Golf GTi which required a new crank sensor but also cleaning up the temperature sensor on the throttlebodies. The issue always struck when it had been cold/ damp, if the vehicle was left in the sun for a few hours it would start eventually.

Wasn't it mentioned before that someone got a cam sensor fault code when in fact it was his crank sensor?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Wasn't it mentioned before that someone got a cam sensor fault code when in fact it was his crank sensor?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah i did. That was on my 1.6 though

Sent from my iPhone 4s

It did often do it from cold starts but this time it was in a car park after we had been shopping . Forgive my ignorance is the cam sensor and crankshaft sensor different?

I am thinking crank sensor. I had this in previous car would start oddly when cold. When warm sometimes. I removed crank sensor and cleaned it. A big bit of muck and grease must of been preventing a good pick up of timing. Worked all the time after that. Different car though.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

I came across similar some years back, I recall that replacing a relay (possibly for the ECU) in the engine bay cured it.

That was the first thing I thought.

Doesn't the ecu go mental and fire multiple codes when the power to it is disturbed/upset

where is best to get the relay that you mention and how do i know if its the correct one etc..?

heres a full list of the codes:

secondary air pump relay short with ground p1435

cam adjutment short with ground p1530

secondary air control valve short with ground p1421

over run valve turbo short with ground p1289

injector cylinder short with ground p1225

cylinder 3 p1227

cylinder 4 p1228

cylinder 2 p1226

tank vent valve short with ground p1425

control valve boost pressure short with ground p1547

02 heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2 short with ground p1117

ive had the labmda sensor code before but not the others. he clears them and they all come straight back.

garage wants to get auto electrician in to look at it now :(

Edited by discusdan

If I remember right the relay is under the dash or in the engine bay on the right under cover at the back behind the maf area. I'd hang fire until fordfan sees this as he will know.