New Vrs owner as of yesterday

Hey there folks,

Been a long time since i posted on here but i'm always following the topic threads. So as of yesterday i was no longer an Octavia Vrs owner and became a Fabia Vrs owner. Got my self a wee '11' plate and so far so good. Still getting used to the DSG but i look forward to getting used to it after my first few experiences :)

post-44944-0-53816900-1369416392_thumb.jpgpost-44944-0-71414600-1369416406_thumb.jpg

Delighted with the drives i've had so far. Hopefully the fabia will be as good to me as the octy was.

Was thinking of future times and was wanting to ask how you've all found the fabia in the snow? personally ive never driven any form of automatic in winter weather so although i hope we're long away from any of that kind of weather (Although given i'm in Scotland,we could get some tomorrow!! :p) i was hoping you good folks out there could give me a heads up/tips for when the inevitable happens.

Buy a set of 15" or16" wheels and winter tyres,cost will be from £400 upwards.

TBH the traction in slippery conditions is only average.

I got a pair of snow sock for my vrs. They were £60 and did an awesome job getting my wife and daughter home from hospital in this years snow. First time putting them on was fiddly but after that I got it sussed and was only taking me max of 5mins to fit.

After I got wife and daughter home I went out to have a play and they were a lot better than I thought they would be. Even when I was being stupid and trying to skid or get stuck they just worked. The best bit was driving around a Q5 that was stuck and seeing the look on the drivers face.

Winter tyres are expensive and in this country I can not justify paying all that money for an extra set of tyres. Also £400 for abset of 4 must be budget winters and if you look at the evo winter tyre test the budget winters were worst than the summer tyres.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Hey there folks,

Been a long time since i posted on here but i'm always following the topic threads. So as of yesterday i was no longer an Octavia Vrs owner and became a Fabia Vrs owner. Got my self a wee '11' plate and so far so good. Still getting used to the DSG but i look forward to getting used to it after my first few experiences :)

post-44944-0-53816900-1369416392_thumb.jpgpost-44944-0-71414600-1369416406_thumb.jpg

Delighted with the drives i've had so far. Hopefully the fabia will be as good to me as the octy was.

Was thinking of future times and was wanting to ask how you've all found the fabia in the snow? personally ive never driven any form of automatic in winter weather so although i hope we're long away from any of that kind of weather (Although given i'm in Scotland,we could get some tomorrow!! :p) i was hoping you good folks out there could give me a heads up/tips for when the inevitable happens.

I found the car very good in the snow I was on 17 inch mud and snow tyres ie using a couple of bought same rims as the normal summer tyres ie I have six rims and onlt swop two tyre/rims to go to full winters. Grip was great and tyres were only £60 delivered from Openeo. Mine were Nexen which are pretty good make even compared to the Mich PS3s I normally use. Tyres are V rated and save my summer tyres.

http://www.oponeo.co...w.oponeo.co.uk/

Make sure you order your winters in Spetember or so as the price usually goes up in October/Novermber as the Continent order their and supply and demand kicks in.

Another vote for the Nexen winters - I had them fitted in Germany (where they were a little cheaper) but the difference is night and day and now I'm converted. Still had them on until a couple of weeks ago..

contrary to popular beleif, winter tyres are not expensive (unless you do vey little mileage) just do the maths....... the logic.... you are doing the SAME number of miles on ONE set of tyres..... i.e. NO difference...... you shell out for winters, but you will NOT be putting the miles on your summers, so will will not need to replace them until maybe double the time after you otherwise would if you not bought winters.... i.le. only 6 months wear in a year instead of twelve = double the life of the summers before you have to 'shell out' to replace them ;)

Only consideration is the balance between the cost of fitting/refitting the tyres every 6 months versus the cost of a spare set of rims. One thing to note: If you go down to 16" (or even 15") for the winter tyres (and hence rims), the tyres are generally cheaper (and more choice) than the oddball 205/40x17's fitted to the vRS alloys. There are companies who will supply winter tyres on plain steel rims for sensible money (about the price of a set of new summer tyres, albeit 15" or 16") and is the way it is generally done "on the continent"; winter wheels/tyres and the original wheels with summer tyres - certainly here in Germany.

There was a link a while back (in another winter tyre thread) as to the wheel/tyre combo Type Approved by Skoda for the vRS with winter tyres. As these are manufacturers recommendations, any insurance company who doesn't agree to fitting the alternative size for winter either doesn't understand cars or is simply profiteering IMHO.

• Like 1