Another Defector

Yes - all the best Ray. I remember your photos of your superb after a wash and polish - looked in great condition after 4 years so a lucky new owner. Do drop some snaps of your e-class when it arrives. That's going to be a beaut.

ooo'eck Ray - That's another E Class estate owner....!

What spec then? Is it the "new" facelifted shape?

almost 4500 miles on mine now and going well. :)

Al.

ooo'eck Ray - That's another E Class estate owner....!

What spec then? Is it the "new" facelifted shape?

Yes, it's the new 2014 shape diesel 7-speed auto with paddles and quite a few toys, as you might expect. The deal included the Comand system and Intelligent LED Headlights and I've added the larger fuel tank, laminated acoustic side glass, reversing camera, burr walnut trim, fully electric memory seats with easy-entry wheel, lane tracking, speed limit assist plus and a set of mats. The colour will be Cavansite Blue (navy blue metallic) with Silk Beige leather and roof lining. Should be pretty - I'll try to remember the pics.

Ray

• Like 1

nice to have a change now and then dont you think.

bill

Yes i agree, but skoda is owned by VW so you know most of the running gear is good sfuff, best to stick with the devil you know, i have been buying skodas since 2001 and i'm on my 4th now

Argee, I'm sure you will be delighted with your new Merc when you get it. Some of us on here are so besotted with our Czech chariots that we struggle to understand why anyone would ever want to darken another franchise's door. Other's like myself, had only a limited amount of money to spend on a car ( I budget to spend around £10K every 6 or 7 years), and a 10 month old, totally unmarked, low mileage Skoda direct Superb coming in well within budget was what brought me to the world of (Bri)Skoda. (Of course, had I been offered an E-class of similar age and miles for the same sort of money, I would have had to give it some serious consideration :happy:

I bought a new Octavia Elegance in 2004, then upgraded to the Superb in 2009. If I'd have wanted another one, I would have bought one, but I fancied another upgrade. That meant another marque, because I'm already at the top of the Skoda tree (the V6 is not for me - tried one, didn't see the point). There are very few cars that are an actual upgrade from the Superb, unless you get into silly money, so the choice was fairly limited. Although I've said this before, this will probably be my last new car, so I've loaded it well! :)

Ray

Wowza's Ray! - That's a spec list and a half!

Which engine did you go for? I've got the 250 CDI in mine (204 bhp 2.2 TwinTurbo) with the 7 speed flappy paddle (Which never gets used!) and it's just starting to return (what i would call) very good MPG - It's average 40.9 since new, but now, at 70 mph is heading toward 50 and at 60, heading into the mid 50's on a run - which i find very acceptable.

Best of luck with it!

Al.

I bought a new Octavia Elegance in 2004, then upgraded to the Superb in 2009. If I'd have wanted another one, I would have bought one, but I fancied another upgrade. That meant another marque, because I'm already at the top of the Skoda tree (the V6 is not for me - tried one, didn't see the point). There are very few cars that are an actual upgrade from the Superb, unless you get into silly money, so the choice was fairly limited. Although I've said this before, this will probably be my last new car, so I've loaded it well! :)

Ray

supose you are right there, the superb is skoda's class leading car and if you want even more toys you have to start looking at merc,VW,BMW,audi

... if you want even more toys you have to start looking at merc,VW,BMW,audi

It's not the toys themselves that are the attraction, they're an added bonus. The better overall build quality and higher quality leather, carpet and comfort are what I was looking for, even though the Superb is a great car in most respects and certainly the best value-for-money car I've owned. I drive lots of very high-end cars and have always preferred the understated look and feel of Mercedes over BMW, Volvo, etc. I tried the C Class but it was just too small and felt claustrophobic after the Superb. I've gone for an estate because although the E Class boot is large, it's very difficult to load two folding bikes into!

Ray

It's not the toys themselves that are the attraction, they're an added bonus. The better overall build quality and higher quality leather, carpet and comfort are what I was looking for, even though the Superb is a great car in most respects and certainly the best value-for-money car I've owned. I drive lots of very high-end cars and have always preferred the understated look and feel of Mercedes over BMW, Volvo, etc. I tried the C Class but it was just too small and felt claustrophobic after the Superb. I've gone for an estate because although the E Class boot is large, it's very difficult to load two folding bikes into!

Ray

well the E class is the only estate that can beat the estate superbs boot space.

Congrats on switching to Merc - You obviously have a large wallet to cover servicing costs, as we found getting the previous Smarts serviced.

I had a little chuckle at your comment the Superb is a great car in most respects and certainly the best value-for-money car I've owned implies that the new car is overpriced . :D

Ray

Ray, does the new E Class still have the awful (In my opinion) foot operated park brake, or have they done away with it?

Regards.

Mike.

Congrats on switching to Merc - You obviously have a large wallet to cover servicing costs, as we found getting the previous Smarts serviced.

I had a little chuckle at your comment the Superb is a great car in most respects and certainly the best value-for-money car I've owned implies that the new car is overpriced . :D

My other car is a smart for2 Lightshine, so I'm familiar with Merc servicing. I've always managed to negotiate with the dealer due to my low mileage and I've never paid full price yet. I'm considering Mercedes' ServiceCare, with a four-year fixed monthly amount. This covers two A and two B services, but it also freezes the parts and consumables prices which could be a real advantage.

I don't think that the Mercedes is such good value as the Superb, in common with many others. However, I'm at that time of life where I can relax a bit over such concerns and - as you can't take it with you - I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my labours while I still can.

Ray, does the new E Class still have the awful (In my opinion) foot operated park brake, or have they done away with it? Regards. Mike.

It's still there, Mike, but there's also the 'Hold" feature which balances it out, IMO. As there's no central gear selector, a lone handbrake would have looked a bit odd, I think, plus it would have interfered with the central storage (which has USB and a variety of cables for iPhone, etc. as well). I've got a flat garage floor, so "P" will do the majority of the time. :)

Ray

Good luck with the new car Ray, good choice. If it wasn't for the car wrecking three children and two dogs, I'd have the E class too.

As you mention, much better interior quality, I'd go as far as to say better handling and engines in both E class and 5 series too. Not knocking the Superb, but both 5 series and E class are better cars. Superb has space, and equipment levels at low cost going for it, but that's about it. Everything else is 'ok' but not outstanding. I also, personally, like 4x4 but know that's not for everybody.

Cheers

Steve

If it wasn't for the car wrecking three children and two dogs, I'd have the E class too.

Wow - I'd NEVER let a car wreck my children, let alone the dogs! :giggle: